Raiders of the lost ArkMGT

Raiders of the lost Ark

Indiana Melia and his trusty side kick Lester Royster wearing traditional flat caps purchased from the Oxfam went on a world wide expedition, their travels took them into the foot hills of Newzeland, down rivers in Singapore and through the darkest valleys of California were they came across other intrepid travellers Fran Kenstein, Victor CAValier Wontfit and others who where also looking for the lost treasure of the early 60s . They spent many hours discussing their quest in way side taverns and drinking copious amounts of the local brew looking for the light that might shine and lead them to their Grail.
After many years and thousands of miles travelled throughout the world living off picnics without bread and crisps, our intrepid duo found themselves on the sent of a promising lead.
In deepest South End on Sea perched high upon a dumpster they spotted a familiar shape not seen for at least 35 years could it be the end of their quest?

You bet it was, I just purchased the original Alan Mann Racing AM GT-2 alloy body, turns out that it is the only one left on the planet. It came with an original as new Tenants monocoque chassis, Gurney Weslake engine, Race prepped ZF-1, new wishbones, two sets of BRM wheels.

Regards
Chris.
The moral of the story is, Look hard enough for 40 years under bushes and stones, and you just might find P1005.

Attachments

• 23051-Alloy.jpg
    23051-Alloy.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,213
Is this the original body replaced by Paul Hawkins in 66 (according to Ronnie Spain)? How on earth did you find it. Tell us more!

Hi Lee
yes this is the original body from AMGT-2 that Paul Hawkins removed. I intend to build the car to its Alan Mann format in Ford Monaco Red with Gold Stripes.
Chris.

I'm sat here gobsmacked!! I'm sure that most people here reading this will also be similarly shocked. How did you find it? What was it doing on top of a skip? Where has it been for the last 37 years!!! Presumably someone else started gathering bits together? And then gave up and contacted you? How long have you known about it?

Tremendous! Best of luck!
Lee

Hi Lee
I found out about the car on Monday, arranged to go see it with Roy on Wednesday, purchased it and got her home on Thursday. The guy that owned the car has had her for years stored in a warehouse.
Chris.

Congratulations Chris! I know a friend of yours who's sitting at home right now downing Fosters drooling......I think his name is.......... Fran!! ;o) Scott

Hi Jim

English humour get lost in the translation. You are right about a P1005 it was buried and then dug up and know belongs to Larry Dent. (I was joking about looking under stones and the fact that P1005 was buried.)

This alloy body is from AMGT-2 the Tenants panel chassis is as new and unused, however the B pillars have no scallops and are as the AMGT-2 B pillar maybe this was a racing spare, it also has webs between the engine mounting and trailing arm turret, a MK11, 7 litre feature. Maybe this was also a feature of the Alan Mann cars.
Regards
Chris.

All I can say is "Wow!" that is so cool. Am I understanding correctly, Is the body shell assembled from aluminum panels? Enlighten me on this one...

mardyn

Hi Mardyn

Two Alan Mann cars were made as special lightweight prototypes for testing in 1966 all the body panels were made of light alloy. They were quicker than the rest of the MK1 GT40's and only slightly slower than the 7 litre MK11's
Regards
Chris.
PS. any photos of the cars in the original red and gold paintwork would be appreciated.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Chris,

What a load of rubbish! I certainly hope you did not pay over 100 quid for that....there aren't even windows and you are gonna have to paint it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Did you go through that stage when after you found out about it you live in fear someone else will beat you to it?

Did you hear about the D-type in a barn......?

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi Rick
Who said I paid any cash for it? it was on a dumpster after all.
I offer the guy money but he said no I want that flat cap that the Royster was wearing plus a bag of lemon drops.
Regards
Chris.

Back