parking brake system

Hello
those guys who uses willwood brake calibers or other racing brake calibers how do you make the parking brake work with those calibers? normally the parking brake are mechanical.My gt40 is a kva iam still trying to find out which spindles that are used on this car.
hope that my question are understand able.
best regards
MIchael linder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilwood (amongst others) do a mechanical spot brake caliper for handrake application. This is mounted separately to the normal caliper.
In the UK Rally Design sell them, along with brackets to weld to the upright.

Rally Design

Attachments

• 28590-spot.jpg
    28590-spot.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 569
HiSpec Motorsport here in the Uk has solved the problem of having to install a seperate handbrake claliper. They have developed their Billet 4, Ultralite 2 & Monster4/6 calipers to include an integral handbrake.Prices are very reasonable & the quality of their calipers is exellent.Indeed, quite a few people I know are using several types & combinations of these calipers on their race cars.
Unfortunately, HiSpec are 2 years to late with this development for me as I had to use HiSpec Billet 4 calipers on the rear with a seperate AP Handbrake caliper. Not a cheap option, as the AP calipers were £300 a pair! Which, plus the cost of the calipers, would have been £770.00 per pair. Fortunately for me Frank Catt at Wealden Engineering was generous enough to donate a pair of Billet 4's he had going spare.
Prices from HiSpec are:
Monster 4-£258.75
Monster 6-£311.25
Billet 4 -£210.00
Ultralite 2 Radial Mount-£170.00
Lug Mount -£180.00

Prices are per caliper & Ex the Gordon Brown.
The Ultralite 2's are a direct replacement for the Ford Cosworth rear calipers.
Check out their web site:
HiSpec Motorsport

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
MIchael,

Do you have uprights yet? What assemblies do they accept? That will determine what you can use I would think. I used DRB uprights and modified them to use 88-92 Corvette rear calipers which have the parking break built into them. It is sweet!

Regards,
Lynn

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Many of the original cars including the MKV that I'm familiar with had no separate emergency/parking brake. They did have a parking brake of sorts which was a hand brake handle under the dash that connected to the brake pedal so that you could pull the brake pedal down and lock it in position. This saves weight and means less parts to break.

Now you have to consider what a modern emergency/parking brake really is. Is it an emergency brake or a parking brake? If it's an emergency brake then it's a back up to the regular hydraulic system in case that fails. But modern systems have two separate hydraulic circuits so there is already built in redundancy. Usually the system is split diagonally with the left front right rear and right front left rear on separate circuits. This doesn't work though if you want to adjust front rear bias, so the system needs to be split front and rear on separate circuits in that case. The diagonal split allows better braking if just one circuits working than a front to rear split if just the rears are working.

Another thing to consider is how much effective braking force is obtainable with a mechanical hand pull system. Have you ever tried to stop a mid size car at 70 mph with the hand brake? Not exactly an emergency stop. Maybe that's why manufactures always refer to it as a parking brake to avoid liability. So if it's just a parking brake your concerned about then all you need is something that keeps the car from rolling when parked. In that case even a line lock will work.

All this is out the window though if your local DMV requires a separate mechanical brake system on their vehicle inspections. I wonder if they'll notice that the brake pedal is going down when they pull the parking brake? <grin> It's like my MKV friend says, "An emergency brake on a race car? What's that?"

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
As Kalun stated, the original; cars used a cable to pull the brake pedal down activating all four calipers. P1116, the Safir car I babysat had this setup. In New York State as many other palces the "emergency" brake system must be separate and non-hydraulic to be legal. By good fortune I had the capacity to inspect cars at that time and just happened to "miss" this oversight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I think the chance of a total hydraulic failure on a dual system car is VERY low and if the cable to pedal setup would be legal for your area, I would go for it. Otherwise you are into a "spot" caliper or road car caliper setup and some clunky brake cables....

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
I can not remember which car it was but some French car (that should keep all you POMES happy)had a hydraulic park break and when the car cooled down after use, the park break would let go (rotor's contracted with temperature lowering) and if the car was parked on a slope she would run down the hill a hit the first immovable obsticle.

I believe the car was a Citreon and I think the modle was a Xantia or something.

I remember laughing at the stupidity of it all.

Best wishes,

Robert

Never forget the first time I saw "Le Car" in the US...
Immediately re-named "Le Sh__ Box"...
Sorry...off topic again...

MikeD

Back