Roaring Forties #52

After months of sanding, ready for paint. I am sure, however, that after the prime coat is applied I will find, many, many defects. But hey, I'm a rookie!

Attachments

• 31805-Dsc06246 for forum.jpg
    31805-Dsc06246 for forum.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,013

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Re: RF52

Pat,

Hershal and I are just haveing a few stubbies and everything looks great from here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif (only had ONE beer)

Keep up the good work,

Robert & Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks guys, I'm fixing to get myself a stubbie as well! Got it primed yesterday, what a bit of work! About four hours to prime. Boy do you find out where more work needs to be done. Will hopefully have the imperfections corrected and spot primed by next weekend so I re-sand and get ready to shoot color.

Attachments

• 32466-Dsc06391 smaller.jpg
    32466-Dsc06391 smaller.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 860

Devin

Supporter

Pat,

I can see what you were doing this weekend!

Sorry you couldn't make it to Austin, I was looking forward to meeting a few of our members here but we only had one GT-40 show.

It was a nice white GTD that SNAKEEYES brought for everyone to drool over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Believe me I took a bunch of photos.

Looks like you are making great progress on the 40...good luck and take your time.

Are you shooting the final finish coats??

Devin

Yes and no! I was planning on using Ford's Grabber Green metallic with translucent stripes (black mixed with clear coat), but now I'm wary of metallics. There are so many contours on the body that I have to question my ability.

Hershal, any thoughts?????

Let me speak for Hershal on this one--Hersh I hope you don't mind.
A wise man once told me "when you think you are done sanding, sand it again, then come and interupt the golf game on TV, until then just get back to work"
Have fun,
John

Robert Logan

Pat,
You're either gonna keep sanding until you are happy or you will just say F@#k it! and paint it.

Hersh

Pat,

Hersh can not hold his Ausie liquor (not licker and no ears jokes) and the quality of finish is directly related to the quality of prep work done / needed.

The primer will show any defects so look closely and use your fingers. They are very sensitive and will feel all bumps etc..

Best wishes,

Robert

PS John, Hersh will be home soon and you have done some sanding or he will be mad (I think he is anyway !!!!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pat, it's looking great...you're making good, steady progress.

All, I think Pat's concern was in getting the metallic finish sprayed on evenly so that the metal flakes don't bunch up or flow, not his ability to do prep.

I got a fair amount of sanding done myself this past weekend, but Pat's way ahead of me. My goal: 20 hours per week through March and April.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Looking really good Pat, dont worry to much about the metalflake, take your time and spray light, light coats,
I'm sure it will turn out great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks guys, appreciate the encouraging words. Mark is right, I am questioning my ability only around the air intakes feeding the engine on the rear clip. I think I can get everything else pretty well. I have yet to break out my touch-up gun, maybe that's key to success on the intakes. I'll know come this next weekend, hopefully.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

Pat, I think it looks fine. I'm going to send you my car to paint. I am also sending you my garage floor. As soon as I'm done with the huge project I am doing on my boat, I will be back to you about garage floor paint...and thanks for your help.
I think your car looks excellent.

You noticed! After a break I forgot to put it back on and it didn't take but a minute or two before I had to stop. I do like HVLP though, a regular convential gun would have put a lot more paint in the atmosphere.

Robert Logan

Pat,

Hersh and myself have been good little vegimites this evening (no booze) so our comments will be more reasonable than our last diatribe.

The finish is all about the preperation, yours looks very good but remember that the painter will always do the last bits anyway.

I have a model of a GT40 in metalic green and she looks great.

Best wishes,

Robert

Just before second coat of primer applied...

Attachments

• 36993-Dsc06799 smaller.jpg
    36993-Dsc06799 smaller.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 812

And primer applied. This stuff dries way too fast for me, very, very easy to get dryspray if you're not careful (I did and will have to re-sand the rear clip and re-shoot). Going to see if there is a slower drying version available. Anybody got any tricks to spraying the engine air intakes? Very tough to manoever the gun in there.

Attachments

• 36994-Dsc06859 smaller.jpg
    36994-Dsc06859 smaller.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 918

Pat,
It's got nothing to do with the primer. It's the thinner. You need to buy a thinner for a warmer temp. They make three different kinds. There is a fast dry, a medium dry and a slow dry. Talk to the supplier and he should give you the right stuff.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back