Jacking Front End

I have been struggling with jacking the front end once the front clip is mounted. Many thanks go to Dave Morton for his sending pictures of how he solved the problem. (Yes, I have permission to post!)

Thanks again Dave

Attachments

• 35404-Picture 038 Small.jpg
    35404-Picture 038 Small.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 2,499
Maybe this ain't a big deal but I push my GT up onto 2X10's
then lift it with the jack. Works good for me. There ain't no jack that I know of that is built low enough to lift the GT without it being lifted at least 2 inches first,

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
There ain't no jack that I know of that is built low enough to lift the GT without it being lifted at least 2 inches first

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know of a hydraulic floor jack that low, but there are non-hydraulic jacks that are low enough.

From the Pegasus catalog (http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/):
Quick-Lift Jack
This well ­made jack is low enough to fit beneath most formula cars and sports racers. It features a nine inch lift height, thirty-­one inch reach, rugged all steel construction, (no fragile castings to break), five wheels, and a detachable T-­shaped handle. Maximum weight approximately 1000 lbs.
Quick­Lift Jack . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Part No. 3170 . . . . $179.99

I have one. I can use it to lift the front of the car, but I don't weigh enough to lift the rear.

If you want to see it in the catalog, view page 91, or click on "Order On-line" and enter the part number (3170).

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
This Weber jack in the pictures above is the lowest profile
jack that I can find in the UK. I will measure it today and post the height when I get back from work.
Dave

For those of us without external lifting lugs.......

Has anybody considered using a modified pallet jack?
Most have less than 4" height(lowered), long arms (two lifting points), hold a ton or more, could lift either end of a 40 easily, and are relatively cheap.(eg. ebay-$200)
They have only two drawbacks that I can see.

1. Lifting height is limited to about 8"(could be raised
with 2x4 blocks or rubber pads). Getting tires off the
ground or the car onto jackstands, might be a problem.
2. It's bound to be one of those tools that is always in
the way until you need it!

BUT, just think about how handy it would be when the next heavy load arrives at your shop door(engine, gearbox, beer refrigerator, etc.)! Try moving one of them around the garage with a floor jack! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
You could lift and move the entire car around the garage! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Any thoughts?

Bill

There was a long very low hyd. jack discussed on here before. Also I have the low cost Harbor Freight Alum jack and with 4.375 front ride height I can go in front of the front tire and lift off of the suspension pickup without problem.

There are scissor lift style pallet jacks available, which

would work perfectly (2 7/8"-32 1/2" range), if not for the

$500+ price tag! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Gary,

That's exactly what I do, and have no problem, but it

would be great to lift the front or rear end, as a whole.

Bill

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
As a different option

A while ago in Africa a device call "Air Jack" No not the ones used in a pit lane for quick tyre change but an inflatable sack!

This is the type of thing http://www.afil.co.uk/airjack/index.shtml

The one I saw in use rolled up really small - like a kids backpack, was unrolled and slid under the car / trailer or whatever and then the tube attached to the car exchust pipe.
Within a minute the car wheel was off the ground.The engine could then be turned off and within reason the bag retained the pressure. Release a valve and the whole thing deflated ready for rolling again.

Being "soft" it did not put undue pressure on any suspension parts etc.

Also as a thought your ride height is set at 4.5 inches, what happens when you get a puncture and that decreases to 1.5 inches? Even at that clearance the bag could be slid / worked under the car.

Lateral thinking?

Ian

Ian,

Good point about the 1 1/2" clearance with a flat tire!

I seriously doubt that anybody builds a jack that short!

I carry two cans of Fix-a-Flat in the car at all times,

should that ever happen.

Bill

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Bill

What happens in a "Blow Out" situation? The can's don't work very well when the tyre is in shreads along the road!

Even the AA / Recovery truck will not be able to get a jack under the stricken car!

Next problem would be when he tries to attach the winch and tow it on to the flatbed and the nose clip disintegrates on the ramps

Ian

But none of them looks as cool as Dave's, and if ain't cool, it ain't for me. But then my wife says I'm a huge dork so what do I know.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The wheels on the Weber jack are the limiting height at 3" and the centre 'spinner' sits below that with the rubber disc removed. With the Rubber disc it will measure 3.4".
I am not advertising but if anybody is interested send me an email and I can give you the companies details (in Essex, UK).
We also use an air bag jack on our F1 trailer which can lift a Mercedes Sprinter at 3.5 tonnes. I think about 1.5 inches is the minimum height to slide the bag underneath.
Dave
Happy Easter everybody.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
PS I use GoJacks as well which are foot operated to raise any or all four corners and I can spin the car around unaided and park it right against a wall if needed. And - it lives in its own cocoon as well with carbon filtered fresh air with gel battery conditioning. It's a bit pampered in a way but since I bought her indoors a diamond and sent her and 2 offspring to NY shopping, I can get away with murder - almost...
Dave M + old forrester (a few now)

Ian,

In a blowout situation, you're pretty well screwed, no matter how you look at it!

I guess that you could try lifting the entire front end from the opposite side? Don't know if that would work, but it'd be worth a try, before trashing the front clip while dragging the car up onto a rollback.

Mike,

Does Tri-C Engineering have a website? I'd love to see a photo of that 1 1/2" high jack. Any idea on how much $$$?

Bill

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The hooks on the front chassis and the lifting bar with the jack are capable of lifting the car with rims only. The
trick is to be able to carry a trolley jack on board as well !!! no - taking the p-ss.. I will work on another way
of lifting the hooks with a light weight jack and get back again. It would be no big deal to carry the lifting bar somewhere down the back end. I'll try and think something out in the next week or so then come back.
Dave M

If you shred a tire, you are screwed unless you have room to carry a spare. I don't have enough space to carry a spare. Maybe if it was one of those tiny uninflated types that was seen several years back on production cars to save space.
I'll carry the number of the tow company that had to pick up my Lotus for repair. They are rigged to pickup low clearance cars. My advice would be to call around to the local haulers and find one that handles highline cars, and keep their number handy.
When tires shred, it usually implies speed is involved and deflation was rapid. Add 100-150# of additional weight (downforce) and the suspension will more than likely bottom out, which will endup with rim damage and probably front clip damage as well (assuming the front wheel is the one that shreds).
Bill

Back