Clutch hydraulic lines

I have all my hard lines run and am getting ready to pressure test them but still need to assemble and fit the hose from the clutch master cylinder to the front bilkhead fitting. Is there any reason why a hose was used in this application rather than hard lines? Also, I can't seem to locate molybdenum disulfide lubricant to assemble the fittings as described in the manual, is there another lubricant I can use?

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Mark !!

One of the easiest places to pick up moly lube is from Crane cams. You can get it from any place that handles Crane cams. It comes in (2) 1 ounce packages part number 99002-1 or in a one pound container part number 99004-1. I personally get the one pound container. But for no more than what you need the smaller size would suit you fine.

Regards Brian

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Mark,

Can you tell me the fitting types on yours? Mine does not fit, that is, it fits on one side but not the other. I don't see any reason to not hard line it and since my little hose doesn't seem to want to play along then I'll go that route.

Ron

I remember having problems with mine also, I can't recall the details, but I sourced another fitting and then also switched my bulkhead fitting to An and have used those throughout.

Boy, you guys seemed to have something way different than I have on my RF. My clutch line comes off the rear bulkhead with hard line and it follows the lower frame rail over to the left then up the side of the cross bar support. At this point there is a small bracket welded there similar to the ones that hold the rear brake lines in place. At his point it is held in place with a slide clip and then a stainless flex hose continues over to the slave cylinder. This hose ia about 12" long.
Hey guys, if you have a part that isn't working please let me know so I can make sure you get the right part and we can check to make sure we don't send the wrong thing out to someone else.
Mark, I use this stuff on my rifles and hand guns. Great stuff. http://www.sentrysolutions.com/AllProducts.shtml

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hersh, I have all my lines aft of the front bulkhead fitted, including the stainless-steel braided flex line. I'm talking about the line that goes from the clutch master cylinder to the front bulkhead. As provided in the kit it's a braided hose that needs to have the ends assembled, but I wonder why it's not a simple hard line. BTW, thanks for the link.

I'll try and post a pic this weekend.

Ron Earp

Admin
It isn't the rear - it is the small hose from the master cylinder, the one up front, to the front bulkhead. This little, maybe 4" hose, has a fitting that does not fit onto the clutch master. It seems that if we wanted we could plumb a hard line from the master to front bulkhead. However, the fitting on the master is a ?????.

Sorry guys, I guess I better learn to read better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I replaced that master cylinder with a tilden that has the same bore size.

Attachments

• 39061-Tilden clutch cylinder 001.jpg
    39061-Tilden clutch cylinder 001.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 386
I did get a longer stainless line and the Tilden has the same bolt pattern as the one I removed.
You can plumb that with hard line if you want. It just needs different bulkhead fittings.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 39062-Tildon clutch cylinder top.jpg
    39062-Tildon clutch cylinder top.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 346
I guessed (perhaps incorrectly) that the reason for it being a flex line is that since it is so short, there might not be enough rrom for the hard line to absorb movement. You could always install a circle or two to take up that movement, but space is limited here. I'm probably wrong, but that's what made sense to me.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Pat,

You are 100% correct with your guess as to the reason why we use a flex line.

Please remember that the picture above from Hershal does not use our clutch master cylinder. Our master cylinder has the output line coming out at 45 degrees / upwards at the bulkhead the master cylinder is bolted to. This greatly restricts the space and the use of the flex line is real useful.

The position of the through bulkhead fitting that Hershal used is also in the wrong place in comparrison to our factory fit. We recommend that the break and clutch bulkhead fittings are outboard of the master cylinders.

Please understand that the workshop manual we supply is "as a guide" and that you the builders have a choise of what and where everything goes.

Hershal did a GREAT job with his car and honestly I have not seen one of our cars on this forum that I would not be proud to own.

Keep up the great work Pat.

Best wishes,

Robert

ps.

Audi have just won Le Mans AGAIN !!!!!

It should also be noted that my GT was the first lefthand drive built by RF and that many of the lines were routed to a different path at my choice. My original RF clutch master cylinder had a small hair line crack on the rubber seal. Instead of waiting for a new one from Australia I chose to use a Tilden unit that I had on hand. It turned out to be an easy fit that accomplished the job at hand. I was on the road in no time giving demo rides to prospective customers the next day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Amazing that the 88 car was able to place second after its crash early in the race. Well done for the Corvette's beating the Prodrive Ferrari.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll go ahead and plumb it with the hose and hose ends provided by RF. Ron, my clutch master cylinder has a female fitting (unsure of thread size) into which the hose end threads. It appears that the fitting is not designed to use a flare, rather, a crush washer is used between the hose end and the machined surface around the female threads on the master cylinder.

Hey guys, I'm bringing back this thread because now that I have Ron's old car (my new one!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I face the same problem he had. It seems that there is a part missing that adapts the fitting that screws into the master cylinder for the clutch to the braided hose provided in the kit. I went to all of my local auto parts stores and could not find anything that worked. Did RF provide this "special"part in your kits?

Hello again Dan, I took my set up and took a good look at it for you. Its a -4 90 degree superflow fitting. It goes from a 37 degree flare to the -4 braided teflon flexible hose set up. I took it apart in the second pic, and you can see the ferrule as well. Any commercial hydrolics outfit should carry it, or be able to get you one. I saw the superflow stuff on a big chart just today at a outfit I visited.

Attachments

• 52860-P2240001a.jpg
    52860-P2240001a.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 378
The fitting in the master cylinder goes from a straight , to the male end of the 37 deg. with a crush washer to seal.
Hope this helps, regards, Dan W. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 52862-P2240003a.jpg
    52862-P2240003a.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 335
I just looked at my setup again, and its also the same fitting as what is on the other end of the braided hose to the bulkhead fitting,,, a 90 deg, 37 deg flare to ferrule/"collar " hose setup. So maybe you have that end you can take and find what your missing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Hey Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to take photos and post them. Turns out I need a 10 mm X 1 pitch to a -4 as you had said. I figured out the -4 part but did not know the m/c was 10mm X 1 pitch. I searched Summit and Jegs but they did not have anything that adapted AN to metric. I e-mailed Robert and he is sending one to me. I never delt with AN fittings before so the learning experance continues...which is half the fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Chris Duncan

Supporter
XRP or Russell makes this fitting. Earl's and Aeroquip probably does too but I can't find it right away online.

M10 x 1.0 male to -4 male AN flare STEEL, (careful it's made in aluminum also but that's no good for brake systems)

XRP part # 420134

Russell part # RUS-640441 and RUS-641441 www.summitracing.com has these for $16.00 a pair.

Back