Targa Tasmania

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
The famous Targa Tasmania starts today and amongst others is a 1966 ford GT40 at the hands of John Pooley and Trevor Booth. Take it easy guys and aim to finish good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Go Boys !!

The GT40 is none other than the "pile of bits" referred to in Trevor's sign-off.

When I saw it last Sept, it was indeed a pile of bits - just a raw mono tub sitting on a stand & shelves loaded with parts. To have gone from there to a fully finished race car since then must have involved a super-human effort by Trevor & John !

Can't wait for the pics !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
I have no idea about the chassis # or the car's history - all I saw was the "pile of bits". With my limited knowledge, all I managed to recognise were original BRM's, brakes, susp, steering wheel, etc.

Now that the car has been "outed", I am sure that Trevor will fill us in on the details in due course. Its amazing how these old cars just seem to bob to the surface from time to time !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Peter,
They're not driving John Pooley's car are they? Silver with black "1075" stripes.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Got me there - all I know is that Trevor was going hammer & tongs to get the car ready for the Targa, so I just assumed that it was the one. Last I heard from him was that they were 99.9% ready nearly 2 weeks ago, & that the car had been painted black.

I guess we'll have to wait for some pics to figure it out !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Some photos of a Daytona Coupe and a couple of Lambo's flying through the Prologue stage of Targa day 1...
No photos of Trever Booths car, but he is listed as an entrant...

Bill.

Attachments

• 56714-Targa%20Day0_5726.jpg
    56714-Targa%20Day0_5726.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 448
Trevor is 10th in class and 91 overall. On the sports news i saw a Ferrari catch on fire and bite the dust, must be heart breaking after all the effort to get a car to Tassie to watch it burn.

Steve

Have these three cars just crossed a giant speed bump,

or are they just REALLY hard on the brakes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Best of luck to Trevor! I'll bet that he is pacing himself

to prevent premature equipment failure. After all, this

race has only just begun! There's a long way to go!

He must believe in the old adage:

"The dog that pisses first, doesn't piss for long!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bill

Can anybody enlighten me further about the above mentioned car?
I had a look tonight but the car is in a very dark area and I couldn't see much. It says it's P1030 on the window.

Good luck anyway guys.

Anybody in Tas' for Targa can have a look at my car in the Shannons exhibition tomorrow on the wharf. I'll be there in the afternoon so wear a red carnation or something so I can recognise you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tim.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
I had a call from Trevor earlier this evening - he is down in Tasmania & can't get access to post on the Forum.

He asked me to post here, on his behalf, a quick clarification of what may appear to be a misunderstanding about the car - it is not P1030 & in spite of all the original components, is not an "original" GT40.

He was thrilled with the way the car went over the 1st 4 days (& so he should be, given that it had only 150km on the clock when it arrived in Tas) ! Unfortunately, problems late today with a rear upright/spindle have forced a withdrawal from the event.

Not too bad for a "shake-down cruise" !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Bummer! I know the feeling .Wouldn't any of Tims (Roaldin)bits fit?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif It's amazing what can go wrong in this event and It's only 2000klm.
Still--the fast way is the best way to see Tasmania /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
News Update.
The first day is a thrash around the streets of Georgetown. By this time the car had 230k on the clock. The results of this day give the starting order for the next. Apart from springs still settling in no problems were encountered.

Day 2 is the first real day of competition and my first drive in "anger". the first 2 stages were relatively easy beating the allocated time by 25%. The problem of front springs settling in then reared its head again making it difficult to turn sharp corners, of which there are plenty!The problem was the car was so low that the front wheels would not turn out from under the mudguards and braking going into a corner the wheel rubbed on the underside of the mudguard causing wheel lockup. I had to slow down considerably and dropped back through the field. On one particular corner I nearly did not make it. I reefed on the steering wheel and broke the hold down catch out of the fibreglass. Repaired the body at the end of the day and reset ride height.

Day 3 JP's turn to drive. The competition stages were now getting more difficult. JP was not familiar with the car and we we slower. Fuel was a big problem. 98 octane not available in TAS and we had to rely on independant suppliers. We ran one tank with pump fuel for the cruising stages and the other tank with 98 for competition stages. Problem was our fuel consumption was 60k for 30 litres! with a total fuel capacity of 60 litres we had to make several stops for fuel.
At the end of the day we had a knock in the front RH wheel.
Investigation revealed that the spindle was loose in the cast upright and the disc was rubbing on the inside of the caliper. Repair was not an option so we retired.

The event is hard on a car and not really suited to a GT. We had geared the car (4.1 diff) to accelerate using the torque of the engine and minimal gearchanges. The disc pads being NOS of about 30 year vintage took to long to heat up. Time did not allow us to try them beforehand.
Considering that assembly of the car did not commence until January with 150klm ("road miles") on the clock at day one the car performed very well.
With a tried and tested car it would be very competitive.

The car is super quick with 450BHP at the flywheel, 1140kg (wet) and with a 'heavy body'

The "genuine car story"
Unbeknown to me JP had entered the car as a genuine. This caused me some concern. The car was promoted by the organisers, TV stations and the press as genuine. I was in a situation that I was not comfortable with and was to some extent relieved that the car retired and the charade was over.

The future, well I am going to divest myself of my interest in the car.

Cheers

Attachments

• 56955-P1010786.JPG
    56955-P1010786.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 555
Thank's for the update and clarification Trevor.
I can tell you that down here it was widely believed to be genuine. I had many people comparing my car at the Shannon's show to the "genuine black one".

It sounds like an amazing job was done with the car given lack of preparation time etc.

I hope a good time was had even though you withdrew.

Tim.

Back