Katrina

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Hope no one here is in harms way. If so, please be safe and prayers for strength and saftey go out to those in need.

I'll second what Tim says. Charlie was only about 15 miles as the crow flies from us last year and that was plenty scary enough. Katrina is a much larger and way more powerful storm and is going to totally destroy wherever it hits. It was only a small storm when it came by us on Fri. I really feel for the people who are going to loose their homes, and there will be plenty of them. It's a sick feeling knowing that you could loose everything you have in just a few hours.

We were just watching the news and there are some people standing out on a strip of rocks in the gulf with the waves crashing all around them. Sure hope they have their affairs in order. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I've really been lobbying the wife this week to get out of Fla. and move to our mountain top lot in Georgia. No success yet...

Pat

Supporter
Bless all of the victims of Katrina. As mentioned earlier, those of us in Florida can deeply sympathize. I think there is a forum member in New Orleans. Has anyone heard if he is OK?

Dan,
As I watch the news tonight I see that Georga has been hit by tornados. I guess when these large storms come up thier is really no were to run. I was speaking with a friend that has, or I should say had water front property in New Orleans before the storm struck and he had come to grips with the fact that he would be rebuilding. As long as we have our lives everthing else is secondary.

The lesson I learned is that I will never belive a weather person when thay say the we don't need to worry about this little tropical storm. I like a fool did not put up my storm shutters and during the hight when it hit Ft.Lauderdale The fencing on the garage side of my house blew down with one of the post missing my unprotected garage window by about two inches and coming to rest leaning on the track that is used to mount my stom shutters for that window. So with my wife telling me not to go out I put on my rain suite and managed to get some shutters over the window, a lot of fun in a driving rain and wind gust to 70 or so MPH. But I was being driven by the fear that if that window blew out the 40 would be open to the storm along with the tools, the motor and all the parts and components in my garage. I still have nightmares.

Peter

Wow Peter!!! Glad to here you are ok. That is quite a feat to board up during a storm.

Everyone around here laughs at me every time a major storm is headed our way. I am the first to board up my house and leave. I went through hurricane Donna in 1960 or 61 while living in Ft Lauderdale. I was only 7 years old at the time and I NEVER forgot what that storm did to our house. That storm was no where as bad as Katrina. I have seen first hand what can happen. I know lots of people who lost everything they owned in Charlie last year. Some parts of Punta Gorda still have not been cleaned up.

I know what you mean by not believing what the forecasters tell you. Charlie was supposed to be a cat 1 storm, but when it was about 2 hours away from us all of a sudden it was blowing 140mph! The authorities said to stay put. BS!!! I got the hell out of there and I'm glad I did. 140 mph WILL rip your house apart. It only slightly missed us but it could have easily been us. Ended up in Ocala.

I talked to my sister while I was typing this. She is just east of Nashville and she is getting lots of rain and some wind right now, but not bad.

I still think I would rather take my chances in the mountains! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I hope all you guys are ok over there.
While we've had some storms over here in the uk, I don't think many of us can imagine what it's like when a biggie hits.
I see lots of the destroyed properties are timber houses, would a brick building stand up to the punishment any better or would it just be bigger/heavier lumps thrown around?
Our thoughts are with anyone who's been affected.

Simon

Pat

Supporter
Simon, the wind is bad but it is the tidal surge and flooding that's the worst... That always is where you see the greatest loss of life. Ironically, next are the people that hurt themselves cleaning up the aftermath. After last year's storms in Central Florida they had several poor souls asphyxiated by the exhaust from the portable generators they were running.

Attachments

• 63917-100_1273.JPG
    63917-100_1273.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 243
Back