Continental Historic Racing Association

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Dan,

I looked over their website and I would be highly surprised if a GT40 replica would be allowed to compete. Maybe, if you had a monocoque chassis like Fran Hall's cars or Superformance and adhered very tightly to the original spec, just maybe then you might talk your way in. Now if you wanted to pop for one of Lee Holman's $500K Mk II cars, you'd be very likely to be admitted.

I have really liked the vintage racers I have met, mostly at VIR. They seem to be an unusually open and friendly lot, but the sanctioning bodies, on the other hand, seemed to be very elitest. Not everyone can own a true vintage racer, but I think the sanctioning organizations are trully missing a real opportunity for a spirit of inclusion by not allowing for replica cars that maintain the spirit of the vintage racers and production cars they claim to love so much.

I think it is at least possible that they think replica drivers wouldn't be as careful and would be overly aggressive since they wouldn't be piloting a true vintage car and they wouldn't maintain the demeanor of, as the CHRA puts it, a "true gentleman racer." IMHO, they would be wrong and I would submit that, if this is indeed one of their fears, it is based on someone's gut feel and not on any kind of data or statistics. I would also submit that the kind of person who would behave themselves like that are going to do so whether they are in a vintage car, a replica or on a bicycle. It is my sincerest hope that the vintage associations will, at some point, if for no other reason than to stay alive, accomodate replicas as the number of true vintage owners who are willing to compete with their rare (and exorbitantly expensive) cars dwindles.

Regards,
Lynn

Actually, poor guys are more careful than rich guys, and then there are those out there that, regardless of fiscal talent, just need to find a different hobby that does not involve a steering wheel and a racetrack (the 'ole loose nut between the seat and the wheel).

Dan:
Most vintage race organizations, HSR, SVRA, HMSA, want vintage cars with original racing history. Lacking that they look for authentic, period-correct cars. In the case of GT40's there are so few of them racing that when they have a very close replica like Fran Kress's car or Bill Peter's red MKIV, they'll allow it to compete.

Modern replicas, whether they be GT40's, cobras, or jags or whatever, are usually not even close to having the original look or performance of the originals.

Most of the vintage race organizations also have engine, tire, brake, and suspension specifications, which state the cars must not contain modern technology, only the technology which was available at the time the car originally raced. That would exclude many of today's replicas which are fitted with radials, oversize rims/tires, modern brakes, stroker engines, power steering, power brakes, non-orginal types of transmissions, clutches, etc.

This however doesn't mean that the cars don't have a place. There are many enthusiast clubs and organizations which welcome the replicas on their track events , so long as they meet safety requirements. I'm even aware of many Porsche Club events which will welcome almost any type of car so long as the driver is properly trained.

I'd also have to agree with Johan. There are great drivers with big wallets, and great drivers with small wallets. And bad drivers come in all shapes and sizes. Bottom line...if you cant afford (financially or emotionally) to bang up your baby, whether it's real or a replica, you'd better think twice about taking it out on the track.

Mixing it up with some great historic cars, Monterey 2005.

Attachments

• 65160-Turn1.jpg
    65160-Turn1.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 669
Guys,

Sorry if I was not clear about my request. I am thinking about attending their event as a spectator, and I didn't want to travel 4 hours if there are only a few cars.

My car is a long way from being ready for the track. (or road for that matter)

That being said, there are some interesting points brought up here. I really have to tip my hat to guys like John who will take these cars out on the track and run them hard. I can't wait for the day that I can actually see the originals on track. I was hoping there would be some at the CHRA event.

There is a HMSA event at Roebling (Savannah GA) Oct 21-23. Also, 2 HRS events in Fla. One at Sebring Oct 13-16 and Daytona Nov. 10-13. Are any originals expected at any of these events?

Cars at HSR Sebring & Daytona

Dan:

My GT40 is scheduled for the HSR Sebring event in Oct. (as is my GT350). I also plan on running it at the HSR Finale at Daytona. I know of two other guys with GT40's who might go to Daytona. If you go to either event, please look me up. I have met a number of GT40s.com guys at Watkins Glen, Limerock and Monterey.

John

Re: Cars at HSR Sebring & Daytona

John,

After consulting my social calender, which is prepared by my wife, it looks like the Daytona event will work out for me. I will indeed look you up.

Pat

Supporter

Hello John.
I'm going to try to make the Daytona event as well with the CAV. Do you have a pit/garage assignment as yet?

Veek:

Sorry about the late reply. Yes, I will have a garage spot, I'll be set up with the guys from Klubsport Racing, They're a Porsche shop from West Palm. They've been kind enough to store my GT40 since Sebring and keep it safe and dry from "Wilma".
Hope to see you there.

John

Pat

Supporter

Thaks John,
I've been in South Florida most of the week dealing with Wilma. If you don't mind, we'll stop by when we're there.

Back