DAX Build Up

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Well I hink it is about time to start up a thread about the DAX.

I bought it about a year ago and posted some pictures in this thread.
http://www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/showflat...=true#Post48628

It became apparant very quickly that I was going to battle with space as the garage is about 7'6" wide and the car 6".

Anyway over the summer I pushed it out the garage onto the hardstanding and started doing some work - each time I did the weather turned and it rained. So pack it all up and push it back in!

I looked at extending the garage, installing a new one at the rear of our garden but "She who must be obeyed" said no to me taking over

I had also taken this time to purchase other bits and pieces missing from the purchase, Radiator, Fans, some lights, exhaust etc.

By October I was starting to get so miffed by the lack of progress that I considered throwing in the towell.

It was around that time that Paul Walton came to one of the Enthusiast Club meetings and I suggested tongue in cheek, that he build my car after his got SVA. He did not turn me down flat and after various discussions we agreed to move the car into his garage and get it on the road. This will be a no frills car - no air con - no internal lights - no radio ----- yes the Keep it simple worked for me!

The first thing that happened was Paul had booked his SVA test but had no tyres as there had been a hiccough on them. I said take mine to get through the test and he duly arrived with a set of "Granada" wheels to swap for mine.

Should be easy - jack up, unbolt remove and fit the other set.

Reality was Jack up remove the rears offer up the Granada ones and "Oh Sh%t" the granada offset means the nner tyre wall rubs on radious arm.

Bugger it all we needed was something to allow us to roll my car back into the garage when Paul's was at SVA.

Decided if we spin the car - swap the front wheels (they worked and fitted)
sttach a chariot wheel in timber - Roll it into the garage, remove the last rear wheel and place on axle stands.

Attachments

• 72344-chariotwheelweb.jpg
    72344-chariotwheelweb.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2,666

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
We thought that this may be able to rake right hand bends but on lefthanders may battle for grip!

Attachments

• 72347-uneventyresweb.jpg
    72347-uneventyresweb.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 2,618

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Got to Paul's As usual it rained when this car came out the garage

Attachments

• 72349-ArrivesatPaul.jpg
    72349-ArrivesatPaul.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2,619

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
the tunnel is open under the car makes access easier

Attachments

• 72351-undercaropentunnel.JPG
    72351-undercaropentunnel.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 2,627

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Pictures for SVA re Seat belt mounts (If any one is reading the SVA will want to confirm how the Belt brackets are mounted - photo evidence is acceptable)

Attachments

• 72353-moreseatbeltmountpoints.JPG
    72353-moreseatbeltmountpoints.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 2,384

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Up side pod from rear to "fitted fuel tank" Spot the mistake - It was a car ordered with EFi and there are no returns. First job is to remove them and get returns fitted.
Also had to remove the fuel filler caps as they stand proud of the body and will Fail SVA
These jobs took the best part of a day!

Attachments

• 72356-insidepod-fueltank.jpg
    72356-insidepod-fueltank.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 2,434

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
The Dax radius arm? in the above photo can be seen as one of the big differences to oher 40's as they go almost straight forward and inside the side pod. (Tornado and GTD go inboard close to the engine.

The dust is from 15 years of build so far (previous builder 14 years and in my posession 1 year,

Seriously considering at this stage that I will link both tanks together in the engine bay (Say 1/2 inch across the bay) draw from 1 tank and return to the other - a damn slight easier than returning to the tank being drawn from.

Ian

Might be worth mentioning at this point we have 16 weeks to finish the build so you can drive to the Classic Le Mans. (This allows 2 months for SVA and registration) Better get out there and do a bit then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/zzzzz.gif

Geeze - I must calm down on the booze a bit, double vision.......

Attachments

• 73417-Doublevision.jpg
    73417-Doublevision.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 2,497

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
DAXNADO Paul's Tornado nostril on the Dax Amazing difference in thickness - the Dax is definately not a lightweight!

Attachments

• 73424-DAXNADONET.jpg
    73424-DAXNADONET.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 2,338

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Front brakes AP units that bolt direct to Granada hubs
(I was advised off a Porsche 944)

Attachments

• 73426-FRONTBRAKE1NET.jpg
    73426-FRONTBRAKE1NET.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 2,404

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Has any body used this caliper on a 40 and are they up to the job?

Attachments

• 73427-FRONTBRAKE2NET.jpg
    73427-FRONTBRAKE2NET.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 2,341

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
E bay exhaust - not bad for £12.50 but a bit rough!

Attachments

• 73428-GBP12-50PIPESNET.jpg
    73428-GBP12-50PIPESNET.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 2,434

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Paul has been working wonders this week
First got one drive shaft in - these are from VW transporter Mk2 no mods needed just clean up the CV and bolt in. One CV wa knackered so I have now hunted down the correct part.

Attachments

• 74008-driveshaftnet.jpg
    74008-driveshaftnet.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 3,078

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Front lights, indicators (to be removed for SVA) and driving lights fitted

Attachments

• 74009-lightspotindicnet.jpg
    74009-lightspotindicnet.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 2,144

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Bracket for the Fluid Resevoirs (Brake and washer) and brake pedal masters fitted (Double thickness windscreen as Paul's is on top when his car is at the painters. Also visible is the windscreen wiper mechanism not installed

Attachments

• 74011-pedalsfluidwiper.jpg
    74011-pedalsfluidwiper.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 2,327
Back