Dzus Fasteners

I have been trying to determine what size (#3, #4, #5, or #6) winged head Dzus fasteners I need to purchase. Jeg's sells #5 in .500, .550, .600, and .650 lengths. I measured the panels and gap and it looks like I could use the .650 length with a .250 high spring. The only problem is, the spring would have to be inverted to engage the stud properly.

Can any help me with this? I really don't want to buy several hundred dollars worth of various stud and spring sizes just to find the right one.

Thanks
Bill D

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Bill, I don't want to hijack your thread here - just wondering if you or anyone knows if it's possible to get the dzus fasteners in stainless from somewhere??

Thanks

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Cliff -

I have looked around for stainless and only have come across the seperate parts, but not the entire assembly in stainless. The heads are available, and some of the other parts but never have seen the self ejecting EF6H style in all stainless, or the bases for them. Might have missed them, best variety was from some of the aircraft supply folks. Sorry if I'm not using the right terms to describe the parts, it's been a while. I think one of the old threads had some links to a few of the Dzus companys.

BillD -

I bought a kit from a shop that has 4 of each of the #5 sized self ejecting ones (slotted) in varous lengths with various length springs. I think the kit was about $60. I did it as I was unsure as well what would be needed. One thing that I did notice that some of the GT40's used the #6 size for the top 2 near the windshield on the cowl.

S&S Engineering - Dzus, Dzus buttons, Dzus fasteners, racecar builders

This place has both the 5/6 slotted and 5 winged in some variety, but not sure of the lengths. They might also have some instruction on how to get the right length, but I can't remember if it was this site or another.

Sandy

I have a nifty collection of Dzus fasteners that I accumulated while trying to come up with a spare set for the other front nostril panel I have. The 0.650" grip lengths were the longest I could find, and they were too short for the application in my RF, and I suspect they'd be too short for most other 40s as well due to the thickness of the fiberglass of the panel and of the front clip. I guess one solution would be to grind down the underside of the front clip at each fastener location to bring the spring closer tothe fastener, but you'd be giving up some strength in doing so.

Ultimately, I souced another set from RF. Robert Logan told me they were from a batch that RF had custom manufactured to their specs. He charged me something like $70 for them too.

On edit - it looks like the link that Sandy provided sells grip lengths over 0.650".

Last edited:
Bill D said:
I have been trying to determine what size (#3, #4, #5, or #6) winged head Dzus fasteners I need to purchase. Jeg's sells #5 in .500, .550, .600, and .650 lengths. I measured the panels and gap and it looks like I could use the .650 length with a .250 high spring. The only problem is, the spring would have to be inverted to engage the stud properly.

Can any help me with this? I really don't want to buy several hundred dollars worth of various stud and spring sizes just to find the right one.

Thanks
Bill D
Bill, before you buy, how many do you need, and what type of receiver/springs? I have a few bags from building my Mini Cooper S racer.
I'll send you some for a ride in the finished car.

Ray:D

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Guys,

What I did to make mine work was to attach a plate to the underside of the nose clip with the spring on top of it. This requires that you bore a dog bone shaped opening in the nose clip fiberglass so that the spring actually sits inside the thickness of it. (A dremel with a carbide grinder tip does a wonderful job.) You can then play with washers under the curled ends of the springs to adjust for the desired tension on the fastener.

Caveats
This does invert the springs, so it is a very good idea to use a steel rivet and a rivet washer inside the first twist of the spring. So far, doing this has kept the tension from pulling the spring off of the rivet.

Make sure you have the spring clocked such that the wing, lever or slot (depending on the type of dzus) is oriented the way you want it to be!

Regards,
Lynn

Last edited:
Back