Registration ????'s

Since it is delivered as a roller, would you still have to go through SB 100 (I'm in California) to get it registered or can it get around that to get a VIN #?
TIA,
Paul

Paul-
If you want to avoid having to load the car with current yer smog equipment, you will have to go through the SB100 route. I received a roller from RCR and plan to be in line Jan 2nd for my SB100 #

BTW - I had an FFR Cobra too

Hey Bill,
Yeah I've tracked your progress on the other forum. You're doing a great job in your build. I suspected I'd need to still do the SB 100 thing, but wasn't sure if receiving a roller, changed any of those requirements.
Thanks,
Paul

Your car needs to be running, CHP has to verify Vin #, Referee Station has to run a smog check on the car to Issue exemption, you need a Brake and Lamp certification. Immediately contact DMV to get the necessary forms and get a Temporary operating permit. If you are standing in line on the 1st business day of the year you will probably not get a certificate, you need someone in the DMV on the phone to Sacramento to give you the best chance.

561234 said:
Your car needs to be running, CHP has to verify Vin #, Referee Station has to run a smog check on the car to Issue exemption, you need a Brake and Lamp certification. Immediately contact DMV to get the necessary forms and get a Temporary operating permit. If you are standing in line on the 1st business day of the year you will probably not get a certificate, you need someone in the DMV on the phone to Sacramento to give you the best chance.
I thought the UK SVA was bad enough, but this is bureaucracy gone mad!

Ron Earp

Admin
Paul, as far as I'm aware from reading the Cobra boards for a long time, and hearing about people here, it really makes no difference if the car is a roller or a box of parts. To the DMV it isn't a "production" car and in about all states follow the speciality construction car rules, i.e., kit car registration.

The reason Superformance, CAV, and others import the cars into the US and installs the drivetrain here is that by doing so they avoid all the red tape with importing an automobile. A rolling chassis doesn't fall under those restrictions that an automobile would.

Paul,
Saw your post and thought I should contact you. I too live in San Diego (Carmel Valley), also have a FFR Cobra and just registered my GT40...so I could give you some hints to guide you through the process. I'd love to talk cars with you. Please give me a call. Thanks.
Larry Lessie
858-481-1586
858-705-1912, cell

Back