Roush Edition SPF GT40 at Barrett-Jackson

Lot # 1252, the Black Roush Edition SPF GT40 will be running thru the chutes at Barrett-Jackson. They are now on lot #1013, so perhaps it might show late tonight or early tommorrow . Anyone want to make any fantasy bids here?

Foowowee
SPF1393
GT40P2117

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, considering a very basic CAV went for $117k (its on the forum and can be searched, 4bbl, basic car as I recall) some years ago (2003) one might need to go as high as $225k based on those numbers. After that they routinely sold for $50-$60k though and continue to do so.

Crazy money at BJ, generally seems far out of line for "normal" prices when out of the ordinary cars come up.

R

Lot #1252 for those of us who are interested. Oops I guess I should've looked at the first post more accurately. I've got it Tivo'd so I can watch it tomarrow. Off to the coast

Rich.

Last edited:

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
Hammered sold at $165,000. With a 10% buyer's premium, the total price is $171,500 before applicable tax. IMO, it's worth the price due to a "continuation", licensed GT40 being very unique. Once again, the market has spoken.

Ron Earp

Admin
llarsen said:
It outsold a 2005 Ford GT which went for $150K.
That is fairly humorous! While I personally don't think it is worth $171.5k since it can be duplicated for far less, that is interesting. BJ's always brings the high dollars out for just about anything.

R

well it really cannot be duplicated since it was a special edition and the only one made. The guy that bought it probably saw the unique nature of that particular car and obviously at least one other person did also. Remember, many high dollar cars get scooped up because they are special in some way and just because one very similiar can be bought for far less does not devalue the special one.

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, that is true it is worth whatever one is willing to pay. What makes the Roush edition a Roush edition? Signatures of some sort, or their involvement with the build and serial number? I'm sure the new owner will be excited with their car, no doubt there! I personally feel they made a better choice with it over the Ford GT.

Ron

As they rolled the car off the stage the auctioneer said the car came with a shadowbox (with a photo I assume) autographed by Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon. That would be cool.

Auctions are a combination of smoke and mirrors and some truth. The fact that they called it a limited ROUSH edition means nothing. There are many SPF GT40s that will have that drive train. It is equivalent to last years SPF coupe sale for 275,000. Apparently calling a sows ear a silk purse means something these days.

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
60-61 said:
Hammered sold at $165,000. With a 10% buyer's premium, the total price is $171,500 before applicable tax.

I made a mistake. Total price is $181,500 before applicable tax. It's a good thing I'm not balancing my checkbook this weekend.:eek:

From the description on Barret Jackson's website it is not very clear what is special on this car. It's got the ZF transaxls, and a roush engine. Is it a very special engine? Is the car itself different from other SPF Mk2s?
Anybody knows if the engine is a stroker small block or a big block?

There WAS nothing special about the car. It was just B-J Auction hype, although it might have been assembled at Roush's facilities. That's what might
have made it a Roush Special Edition in their eye. I noticed an identical color roller on ebay (roundel and all) about a week ago that was put up by Dynamic in Ohio. All it needed was engine and transaxle.
On the other hand, for about $190K including buyers premium and sales tax, the guy is probably having a ball driving it around Scotsdale today, while many others are going to wait months for their transaxles.
Hey, if he can afford it, God bless him!
I did like the induction system though. Mine will just be carbureted.

Foowowee
SPF1393
GT40P2117

LOG said:
From the description on Barret Jackson's website it is not very clear what is special on this car. It's got the ZF transaxls, and a roush engine. Is it a very special engine? Is the car itself different from other SPF Mk2s?
Anybody knows if the engine is a stroker small block or a big block?
It was a small block , or mid block if you like Roush 351 punched and stroked to a 427. It had a look alike FE 427 valve covers by Roush, Weber looking fuel injection snd is claiming 560 HP. The car was very well detailed and looked great. $180.000 a bit much ??..............maybe,........ but the guy has a great car and was able to drive it away that day unlike the rest of us who never seem to know if or when our ride will be finished.

Back