ZFQ new proposed GT40 transaxle

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceB

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Chris

That looks like a fairly good set of ratios, allowing a mix of road and track use with the one gearbox.

Keep us posted as things develop!

Hi Guys

good news is that the ZFQ transaxle is to become a reality Martin Gough, John Wisher and I met with Mike Quaife today to finalise the manufacture and spec of the new ZFQ.

We agreed to a prototype transaxle being produced with its manufacture commencing on Monday 19 February. the prototype trans should be finished in approximately 3 months time.
This trans will be generally as stated above but will now include a dog leg first shift gate and also Pantera rear mounting flanges, and will have the capability to be inverted for use in Pantera's.
There will be a blanking plate and flange on the rear of the casing to allow a purpose made oil pump to be mounted as an optional extra, then driven from the rear of the pinion shaft.

We agreed to a 3.75 CWP for this prototype trans as this ratio is readily available, this gives the following ratio table.

Differential: 3.75
Tire Diam: 26.9 PERCENT DROP FROM
1st Gear: 2.50 DROP 6500 RPM
2nd Gear: 1.60 0.640 4160.0
3rd Gear: 1.17 0.731 4753.1
4th Gear: 0.92 0.786 5111.1
5th Gear: 0.74 0.807 5242.4
SPEED IN GEARS (MPH)
RPM 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
1000 8.5 13.3 18.2 23.2 28.8
1500 12.8 20.0 27.4 34.8 43.1
2000 17.1 26.7 36.5 46.4 57.5
2250 19.2 30.0 41.0 52.2 64.7
2500 21.3 33.3 45.6 58.0 71.9
2800 23.9 37.3 51.1 64.9 80.5
3000 25.6 40.0 54.7 69.6 86.3
3500 29.9 46.7 63.8 81.2 100.6
4000 34.1 53.3 72.9 92.8 115.0
4500 38.4 60.0 82.1 104.4 129.4
5000 42.7 66.7 91.2 116.0 143.8
5500 46.9 73.3 100.3 127.6 158.2
6000 51.2 80.0 109.4 139.2 172.5
6500 55.5 86.7 118.5 150.7 186.9
7000 59.74 93.35 127.65 162.34 201.29
7500 64.01 100.02 136.77 173.94 215.67

Reinforcing webs will be added to strengthen the casing to give the period look a centre push hydraulic thrust bearing will be used with this transaxle and the input shaft will be splined and sized to match that of the ZF.
The ZFQ will be rated at 600BHP and 550 Ft Lbs of torque and will carry a one year parts guarantee for street applications when used within the above power parameters.
Once the prototype box is made we will fit it to a GT40 for rigorous testing, once we are satisfied with its performance, we will then commence the production run.

Regards

Chris.

Last edited:
Hi Guys
photo's of our guided tour by Mike Quaife of the Quaife Plant.

Attachments

• Quaife b.jpg
    Quaife b.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 1,942
  • quaife d.jpg
    quaife d.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 1,753
  • Quaife g.jpg
    Quaife g.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 1,866
Photo's at Quaife

Attachments

• Quaife f.jpg
    Quaife f.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,817
  • quaife c.jpg
    quaife c.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 1,714
Hi guys
The ZFQ is fitted with the Quaife ATB diff below is information about the ATB from the Quaife web site.

What is a Quaife ATB differential?
The 'Automatic Torque Biasing' differential is Quaife's unique patented design, and is an after-market differential that provides smooth, constant traction for racing or slippery road conditions.

Suitable as an ideal replacement for any front, rear or four wheel drive application, these ATB differentials have the added benefit of no adverse effect on the steering of a front wheel drive vehicle.

Quaife ATB differentials have been used in a wide array of applications, from Formula 1 cars to emergency and public utility vehicles, where all weather mobility is essential, and where the product must perform in the most demanding of conditions.

Available to suit a very wide range of vehicle applications, from Alfa Romeo to Volkswagen and including Ford, BMW, Honda, MG & Rover, Vauxhall/Opel, as well as a range of light commercial vehicles.

The characteristics of the differential are that it progressively locks as torque increases; there are no plates or clutches to wear out, as the more conventional limited-slip designs incorporate. The ATB differential is particularly effective in combating the effects of FWD torque steer and understeer.

Quaife Engineering also offer their ATB differential with a lifetime warranty [see terms and conditions], as a demonstration of the quality of the product.

The Ultimate Differential

The Quaife Automatic Torque Biasing Differential enables your car to accelerate quicker and corner faster. How?
Simply by getting the power to the ground!

The Quaife differential powers both drive wheels under nearly all conditions, instead of just one.

With an normal open differential, fitted as standard on most cars, much precious power is wasted through wheel spin under acceleration. This happens because the open differential shifts power to the wheel with less grip - along the path of least resistance.

The Quaife differential, however, does just the opposite. It senses which wheel has the better grip, and automatically biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly, and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel.

In cornering, while accelerating out of a turn, the QUAIFE biases greater power to the outside wheel, reducing inside-wheel spin. This allows the driver to begin accelerating earlier, exiting the corner at a higher speed.

The Quaife differential also controls loss of traction when the drive wheels are on slippery surfaces such as ice and snow or mud, providing the appropriate biased traction needed to overcome these adverse conditions. The Quaife ATB differential provides constant and infinitely variable drive. Power is transferred automatically without the use of normal friction pads or plates seen in other limited-slip designs.

The Quaife ATB differential's unique design offers maximum traction, improves handling and steering, and puts the power where it is needed most. A definite advantage, whether you are on the track or on the street.

The Quaife differential is extremely strong and durable, and since it is gear-operated, it has no plates or clutches that can wear out and need costly and regular replacement. There is no maintenance required to the unit, so once installed the unit can be forgotton, apart from the better road responses.

The Quaife differential is great for street driving or racing. Racers don't have to put up with locking mechanisms or spools that tear the steering wheel out of their hands when cornering. Because it behaves like an open differential during ordinary driving, street drivers will have trouble telling it's there until pushing the cars towards its limits.

The Quaife differential is proven in everything from SCCA Rallying to drag racing and Formula 1. It provides autocrossers with such an advantage, it has become "required" equipment for a winning effort.

Expand your vehicle's limits with the Quaife ATB Differential!

regards
Chris.

Hi Simon

you are spot on, we have a Chevy bellhousing ready for the Ultima guys.

regards

Chris.

I have great pleasure and so soon after yesterday`s meeting at Quaiffe to announce a confirmed order of our first production gearbox to Mr Mike Pass in the UK. Mike has a GT40 replica which he is currently undertaking a rebuild and should be roadworthy by late summer all being well.

Congratulations to Mike for placing his order and being our first customer.

Regards Martin.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Martin, as the first order has been placed and accepted, what is the price of the trans? Thanks

Hi Greg

The price of the trans in the US ready to install with CV output shafts and GT40 top plate will be $11,800, the price of the trans in the UK is £5995.

As one guy said earlier this trans is like a modern version of the ZF on steroids and is truly capable of handling 550 Ft lbs of torque and 600 BHP. The ATB differential and chosen gear ratio will make this trans outperform the old ZF unit. The ATB diff carries a life long Guarantee for the purchasing owner, The gear set and casing carries a 1 year parts Guarantee.

The bolt on racing oil pump will be sold as an optional extra for approximately $475.

The first 10 transmissions will have a promotional discount of $1000. As Martin said we have already sold the first one, orders are secured with a deposit of $1000, or £500.

regards
Chris.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Chris M
Well done on the new transaxle, someone had to do it. The ATB description is good but when recommending limited slip to owners who drive their cars on the road I reckon a little warning should be included.In a car with an open diff (and rear wheel drive) when you apply too much power and break traction the spinning wheel still drives the car forward and eventually will come back to full grip without oversteer.What I experience with lim slips is a slew sideways toward oversteer with any breaking of traction.I have experienced this on the track too, especially when wet. An inexperienced driver on a wet road that has never had a limited slip diff before could be in trouble IMHO. Just thought I'd pass this on, our cars have a lot of power and can break traction easily with the V8 torque (especially on take off).
Ross

Hi Ross

I agree the normal limited slip differentials as fitted to ZF transaxles can give those kind of characteristics. The automatic torque biasing (ATB) differential does not, and that's why we have chosen it for the ZFQ transaxle, this is one of the reasons why the ZFQ will outperform the ZF transaxle

Regards

Chris.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Chris
I will look forward to driving a car fitted with your new box then thats for sure.Hey by the way seeing as how your in with Quaife,maybe you could help me obtain the Quaife close ratio gearset for my Lotus Europa, 4 speed Renault 336 transaxle.If I hadn't bought the ZF I would be very interested in the ZFQ as I bought the new ZF this time last year.People down this way were talking of manufacturing a ZF clone but nothing came of it.I could have sold my old ZF 3 or 4 times over in Australia so I think you have a market here too.Any interested people I talk to, I will send your way.
Ross

Hi Ross

I will mention your requirements but I understand that, as we have exclusivity with the sales of the ZFQ I think there may be a marketing exclusivity deal with the Renault box.

Thanks for pointing would be customers in our direction, the more we can make the better the deal becomes, for everyone's benefit.

I hope that this will become the transaxle of choice and we will be working hard to make these readily available off the shelf.

Regards

Chris.

Chris,

Was very interested to read about the ZFQ project. Will you also be casting bell housings i.e Ford and Chevrolet? If you are will you be including on the ford bell housing the lower engine transaxle mountings (as per the original gt40). Surely these would be appreciated by the “Superformance” owners and could always be machined off for those not requiring them.

Most of the zf bell housings I have seen seem to omit these mounts. I don’t actually know whether the superformance supplied bell housing includes these but if the chassis is as original then logically that must have provision for the mountings! Other owners could obviously fabricated chassis mountings to match.

Just a thought. Anyway look forward to seeing the production article in due course.

Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back