SPF MK2 Fuel system

For you guys without the late modified fuel tanks, here is my solution to the fuel delivery problems on the mark2. All pipework, pumps, filters etc are out of view under the oil cooler panel. The system incorporates a Carter 100gph low pressure pump, feeding to a 3 litre header tank, which then feeds the high pressure pump, two filters and return lines to the main tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1494.jpg
    IMG_1494.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 891
  • IMG_1495.jpg
    IMG_1495.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,286
  • IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 890
  • IMG_1500.jpg
    IMG_1500.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 864
  • IMG_1502.jpg
    IMG_1502.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 900
Frank,

What kind of problems have you experienced? When I drove the Superformance Demo back in Oct/06 the cockpit smelled of gas. Is your system a fix for the vapor problem or better delivery. Or both?

Thanks in advance
Rich.

The fuel smell problem has been traced to non-contiguous welds on the filler neck assemblies. There is some debate as to whether this is really the cause of the smell but the cars that have this problem seem to get "fixed" when the filler necks are replaced with a full 360 degree welded version. The reason for the swirl pot like Frank's above is because the fuel pickup tubes are located in the back of the tanks. What do you suppose happens when you are low on fuel and begin a downhill run. You guessed it, you run out of gas. My solution is not quite as elegant as Frank's but it gets the job done. I mounted the swirl pot just below the two pumps. A third pump is located under the oil cooler like in Fran's application and feeds the swirl pot. I bought the swirl pot from SM Engineering in the UK for about $160.

Attachments

• DSCN0556 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0556 (Small).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,029
  • DSCN0557 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0557 (Small).jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,068
Lynn, what is the capacity of your swirl pot?, and the flow rate of your low pressure pump ? These are two parameters I had to calculate to keep the big Roush engine going on the track, Its all interesting how we come up with different solutions for the same issue, Frank

Frank, the swirl pot is about 2 quarts. This is clearly not big enough for a serious racing application. Your solution is much better but what I was looking for was a mild "street" version to solve the problem. Of course there are street apps like a long mountain pass that takes tens minutes to descend at 100 mph ( like Snoqualmie Pass outside Seattle) that neither technique is going to solve. You would need more capacity that there is room to fit. As for the pump down in the "hole", I used a Carter 4601HP.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Great looking setup Lynn.

Wouldn't recommend extended 100mph jaunts in that area Lynn!
I-90 milepost 36
Tickets - 3051
Warnings - 2821
GT40 Driver Warnings - 1 :pepper:

Back