GT90 from ground up

Hi Des, Awsome job you are doing very very impressed, you say that the glass is covered with putty to smooth it all out and then sanded, is this bog or some sort of 2 pot filler, keep up the good work, keep posting.

Regards
Lambo

Thanks for the comments.
snakebite
your project is looking great, where did you get the shape concept?

lambo
basically modified gelcoat, much slower going off than bog so a larger area can be worked
the dust still gets everywhere you don't want it, and chokes vacuum and dust extraction filters the same

Hey Des,
The design is totally original… I created it in CAD, and then used some home grown ingenuity to create a full scale body buck. It’s slow going but seeing what you are doing helps keep me going.

Neal
BaileySpeed.com

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Neal / Des - The talent here literally gives me goose-bumps.... You guys are awesome.. Des, keep up the good work! We're waiting for more pictures!!! :)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Des. How have you been keeping? I haven't seen you for a while.
I've gotta say your talent is awesome, to achieve what you have in such a short time is fantastic. Keep the pics coming.

Des,
Are you planning on having replica wheels made for this car as well?
If so, would you have them produced to come with the future kit?
Again, your work is outstanding!
keep those pics coming :D

Hi Pete
We're good, work's been busy, keeps getting in the way of real important stuff.
how's the 40 going?

jdek
Yes I will and yes they will be if legal stuff does not get in the way.

Thanks to all for comments
Des

Sorry for lack of updates
it's been silly season at work, working weekends as well.
Disappeared to Tassie with Jude for a few days courtesy of the kids for a bit of R & R, lovely weather 18-20 degC max no humidity

Lexus
my intention is to supply a body chassis unit with doors, septum and bonnet hinged and aligned, dash and various trim panels will be inc as well.
the 4 glass panels inc doors inc engine cover will be mounted etc
both r/h and l/h drive versions will be avail
Lights, wiring loom, gear shift, wheels etc will be options as will choice of wing
chassis is designed to take late corvette C4 wishbones and uprights at front and the entire C5 rear end inc cross member minus the transaxle, leaf spring, shockers and roll bar
custom rack and pinion steering is required
driveshafts will need adaption to suit intended transaxle
obviously a lot details are not finalised yet
Des

Des, Not sure if they are still operating, but there was a company called Neale Wheels that made wheels / mags and one offs

Have a good Christmas / New Year too!!

Russell

Hi, it's Ryan here of GT90 Central. I haven't really been following this build on this forum and only joined up recently, just been contacting Des now and again for some updates and stuff.

Anyway I want to get a little page on the GT90 Central website going for this project car so Des, if your keeping like a little diary of progress and stuff then I'd love to be able to publish it all on my site when the project is done. Keep in touch mate.

See you all.

finally some pics
digressed from main body filling and sanding for a while.
sills needed to be widened to match body, closed and rough shaped at each end
projections on top faces are the sections in doorway
roughed in the top and bottom radii on either side of front air intake

thanks for comments and info
Des

Attachments

• DSC02871.jpg
    DSC02871.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,628
  • DSC02872.jpg
    DSC02872.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,626
  • DSC02873.jpg
    DSC02873.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,584
  • DSC02936.jpg
    DSC02936.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,613
  • DSC02937.jpg
    DSC02937.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,558
Des,
Please accept my immense gratitude for giving me the time in your busy schedule to take a look over your car on the weekend.

Yes, i can tell you all this car Des is working on is the real deal. After passing the gate "sniff test" from Des's dog . .and believe me you know you have been sniffed when a 3ft+ high dog gives you the once over!!. Des gave me the grand tour, yes i did sit in the drivers "seat" . ..and yes i did make certain vroom vroom sounds. .under my breath!!!. Every angle of Des's work lives and breathes perfection. And Des's thoughts on GT90 no.002. . . . i'm not saying anything more in case i'm letting something out i shouldn't!!
When Des see's this project through its going to certainly reset the bar among the industry.
Best of luck with your move to larger premises Des, I hope to catch up again someday when your work is further advanced.

Thanks again
Russell

ps. I think Des's daughter is spoken for guys so chalk that possible angle off your list!!

Wow Des, I just came across this forum and I am almost in shock on what you have created so far. I'm kinda glad I just now found the forum, cause I didn't have to wait for each update, hehe. I read the complete thread from start to finish and was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I cant count how many time i've thought about building a GT90, and you have just taken on the task. My hat is off to you sir, and cant wait for the next step.

Joe

joet
Thanks for kind words.
I fell in love/lust with the 90 first time I saw it.
Not much has been done for a few weeks as we are moving onto acreage.
Packing is a bitch, especially when there is a workshop and a car plug involved.
Container gets uplifted this Monday so some light is visible at the end of the tunnel

Des

Des,
What are your plans for the wheels/tires? If there are any materials or parts that you need help locating I would love to help. Let me know.

Joe

If I remember correctly Des, you said that you were not going to spend the astronomical sums getting custom wheels made. There was some other guy however also trying to build a GT90, I might be confused. His project was far more pathetic than this though, keep up the amazing work.

P.S., how did you get all the measurements and stuff, the 1:18 model? LOL.

Ignore that post there, I can't find the edit button. Anyway, I really can't wait for more progress to be made! Really amazing so far and I think the finished product will look amazing!

Back