Windscreen - Cross Reference Guide

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I have started this thread to assist any others.

I have just had a standard GTD screen (organised by Frank Catt / Wealdon Engineering http://www.wealdenengineer.co.uk/ ) fitted to my DAX

The screen fitted very neatly but could not use a rubber seal as the apperture was a bit small - will be filled by a silicone bead.

Perhaps other users who have found similar good fitting windscreens across the GT40 brands could similarily post here

Regards

Ian

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Use urethane rather than silicon

It may make no difference to us 40 replica assemblers, since the kits are usually made of fiberglass, but a friend in the auto glass industry tells me that it is better to use urethane to seal the windshield b/c silicone will attract moisture, whereas urethane will not. That is a rust issue for a metal bodied car, but like I said, it may be moot for our fiberglass bodied cars. Since I don't have a 40 replica yet I don't know if there is any metal in that area or not.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Doug

For those building with KVA bodies (MkI and MkIII), ones that fit well are available through National Mobile Windscreens (HQ in Bristol) who have the original Ken Atwell bucks and have windscreens in stock. The contact is Phil Lomas , a director there, and they can supply bulkhead and rear screens too (although not MkIII ones). The prices are good too - £165 + VAT for the windscreen and £52+VAT for the bulkhead screen. to contact Phil go via Nicki, Phil Lomas' PA on 0117 304 2000. Alternatively Phil's email address is [email protected]. He's very helpful.

Paul

Jim Dewar

Supporter
I need a windshield to fit a Roaring Forties opening (in the US). I understand there are 2 opening sizes? GTD and original?? If anyone has an answer we can add it to the Cross Reference Guide. Thanks in advance

From the information I have gathered, which came from several different sources, The windscreens have two very different curvatures. One is flatter than the other. Ben White is a good source of the glass. I believe he is a source for one or two major brands here on this forum. I will leave that up to them to discuss. The measurements have to do with the distance from pillar to pillar to the front of the screen in the middle. I can't remember the measurements right off hand. I ruined my glass grinding off some steel, and it melted into the glass. Rather than just leave it I popped the glass out and had my original measurements to work with. Ben's email address is:
[email protected]
He is bringing me one when he delivers Chips car. When that is is anybody's guess. He is up in Ohio I believe, and to ship it is very expensive. I remember it being more than the glass itself. So I chose to wait. To my way of thinking, the glass should be the last item installed. The dash work is next to impossible to do with the glass in place. Mine especially since it is built around the roll cage. It also helps with all the under dash stuff as well. I would rather bend over to do the work rather than crawl into the car for all that work, trial fitting and removal and reinstalling. With my car on a homemade stand, there isn't much of that either.

Bill

Bill, I believe Mr. White's fist name is Dan. I buy windshields from him. I know windshield shape fits original cars bur I could never keep straight what the other replica GT40 windshields fit. Dan hates to build shipping crates. To build a shipping crate is not easy and takes a bit of time.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Dan has two types. One for sure fits a GTD. I have one of his in my car. I think that most of the English cars GTD, KVA, MDA, CAV (because it was originally a GTD way back when) are the same windscreen. The Pacific cars, RF, DRB, NZ (and its linage) are the other flatter shape. If anyone knows for sure if I am correct then chime right in.

As to the US cars ERA, RCR, and I'll put SPF in this group as well, I don't know. I would guess that ERA is the same as the original. RCR ? I bet we hear from Fran real quick. And I have no idea where the SPF's are coming from.

Dan is a straight forward honest guy. I bought mine from him years ago and I know they aren't that cheap anymore so I won't tell you what they cost me then. I seem to remember a promise not to so I won't. He did me a big favor and I am still grateful. He sent my two windshields Via Greyhound on the bus in a custom box that I sent back to him. The shipping cost was about the same as a ticket in a seat from Ohio to Calif. Pretty cheap. I sent the box back to him and it was next to nothing to do so. This is really the best way to ship a windshield across the US. The box never leaves the cargo hold in the bus if you put in on a direct transit trip. You simply meet it at the bus depot like you would meet a passenger. Compared to shipping from England to California at the time..... well lets say I could have flown to London and bought it another seat next to me for the trip home cheaper. If I remember correctly it was more than a $1000 in shipping costs alone.

Don't break your windshield!

And for those of you buying a new car and are at the front end of your build buy a replacement and put it away for later. This can be a very difficult thing to source years from now and you can get the shipping cost for for free now with the original purchase of the car.

Way back when Rick Merz needed to replace his GTD windsheild and did so with an ERA unit. It fit fine. I was once told by GTD that their unit would fit an original, but don't know for sure.

Jim Dewar

Supporter
Chris Melia advertised 10/27/03 windshields fitting GTD, KVA, Tornado, DRB, CAV and RF cars in stock. Since then the post have been confusing as to whether they are all the same. This was the reason I brought this post to the front again. I need one for my RF and can't seem to confim a fit.

Hi Jim

The RF started life as a Tornado so you could try Andy Sheldon at Tornado for a screen.
I know that KVA and GTD and CAV are the same. I also know people that have fitted Tornado screens in GTD's and KVA's and vise-versa

The RCR Screen fits an original monocoque very well, but I think you will find that the ERA is probably the same as other replicas GTD/KVA ect.

regards

Chris.

Hi Bud

The GTD screen is smaller than the original screen because the A pillars are wider on the GTD/KVA.

regards

Chris.

Hi Frank

G Co owned by Gerald Ace owns the GT40 Pattern at Triplex for original cars, and I know his screens don't have any Ford numbers, so I would be interested to know were you got you screen from and would like to see the photo of the numbers please.

regards

Chris.

Hi Chris
the window came with the car and date's back from the time ken atwell exported the car to germany
I'll write the number down for you
Frank

Howard Jones

Supporter
OK, So I made this cross reference file and put on it what I believe to be a start. If you have CONFIRMED fittments then post them and we can update this as best we can.

Attachments

• GT40 Windscreens.mdb.pdf
    4.9 KB · Views: 981
Last edited:

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Howard

Our screens also fit KVA, GTD and based on the info on your chart CAV, ERA, RF and MDA.

Thanks

Andy

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Howard

I can confirm GTD screen from Frank Catt fits the DAX - please update the crass reference guide.

I had a Tornado screen (Paul Waltons) and mine together during the build and the Tornado had a different curvature near the top corners Not major but it would have required spider "adjustment" to get it to fit snugley

Ian

Howard Jones

Supporter
OK I've tried to update our reference guide. I am going to only put in known successful installations. If you have a GTD windshield in your DAX for example then I will put it in like that. I will not however record it in reverse until someone says they have a DAX windshield in a GTD.

I am hoping to save someone from having a wind screen shipped across the world only to find it won't fit. This way at least you will know that it will fit because someone else has already done it.

Attachments

• GT40 Windscreens.mdb #2.pdf
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,040
Back