J. Salmon RCR-40 Build

After years of considering, dreaming, and planning, the work is finally beginning. It almost seemed surreal when the crate with the motor came off the truck. The chassis is still a long way off, but this is the first physical, tangible evidence that I am in fact committed, that I am actually doing this!

I'll be using Ford's "Heritage" paint, but in my mind I can't stop calling it the Heretic because of the LS7. But Karma seems to have smiled on me for choosing this path, as Fran has proven the GM motor will allow the use of the fantastic Ricardo made 6-speed box from the GT. This will round off my plan to build my ultimate car:

RCR 40 chassis, powdercoated black
Modern Ford GT Gulf colors
Left hand drive, center shift
2 inch rear flares
17 inch BRM's, all black
LS7 with Kinsler stack manifold
BigStuff3 EFI with traction control
Ricardo 6-speed box (>60 in first, >200 in 5th)

Honestly, the crate LS7 is not much to look at yet. But that is going to change in the next couple of weeks. I hope to have the motor sorted before the chassis arrives in the summer. I had to include the print on the wall (Cobra and Gulf GT40) that predated the decision to build by a year!

Attachments

• LS7a.jpg
    LS7a.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 3,497
  • LS7b.jpg
    LS7b.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 3,562
Between the Exige and the GT40 You must have a thing for super fast, very light cars with low rear visibility and deafening engine noise right behind your head. Nothing worng with that, i think every one here does. I look forward to the build.

Cheers

Jack

J.

Nice garage! BTW, what jersey is that on the wall along side the Lotus? I recognize it, but can't remember if it's an old Mapei, or Amore Vita (or maybe Acqua Sapone).

My bikes (of which there are MANY) live in the basement because there's absolutely no room in the garage, between my '92 M5, the wife's wagon, and my LS7 powered T70 spider project.

Tom

Excellent choice of engine and injection system;) Hoped I wouldn't be alone to long amongst all these Ford chaps, its been a lonely road for the last few months:lol:

Let me know if you proceed with the ITG filters

Best wishes

John

J.

Nice garage! BTW, what jersey is that on the wall along side the Lotus? I recognize it, but can't remember if it's an old Mapei, or Amore Vita (or maybe Acqua Sapone).

My bikes (of which there are MANY) live in the basement because there's absolutely no room in the garage, between my '92 M5, the wife's wagon, and my LS7 powered T70 spider project.

Tom

Good eye (another cyclist, excellent!) That is Acqua & Sapone. We went down to the first Tour De Georgia when Lance and Mario Cipollini both rode. My girls used to pick Cipo out of the magazine pictures because of the jersey, so they got me one. I had him to sign it when we were there. He was pretty approachable (though probably the #2 star next to Lance). His one and only win in North America.

I have much more experience with bicycles than cars, but at least some of the technology transfers. My favorite ride is my '05 Specialized Enduro, which has been outfitted with 6-pot calipers with 2-piece rotors (Hope), and a 4 -way adjustable Ohlins-damped Cane Creek shock (it came with a dyno printout - how cool is that!). I've never had a mountain bike that is dialed in as well as that one. The weight-weenies all say it is overkill, but I just love it!

My girls (wife and 2 daughters) are not car people, nor are they the tidiest. The garage lets me keep my toys out of the way and organized. We moved in August. I had all the art on the garage walls before anything was hung inside the house!

J.

Did you witness the Cipollini kissing incident during the ToG? There he is, climbing some steep ass mountain, way off the back, when he comes upon a hottie on the side of the road, cheering him on. So what did he do but pull over, lean in and give her a fat kiss. Classic Cipolini moment. Wonder if it's on youtube?

re the MTB, I got on a Sant Cruz blur LT after many years riding a fully rigid bike. I really think I have no idea how to tune these things, I never mess around with damping save for the compression damping on the rear. If it's set full soft, seems like the rear end has trouble getting traction in snow and mud. Other than that, I tune understeer out with front tire pressure.

Your car project should be the bomb when it's done.

J.

Did you witness the Cipollini kissing incident during the ToG? There he is, climbing some steep ass mountain, way off the back, when he comes upon a hottie on the side of the road, cheering him on. So what did he do but pull over, lean in and give her a fat kiss. Classic Cipolini moment. Wonder if it's on youtube?

re the MTB, I got on a Sant Cruz blur LT after many years riding a fully rigid bike. I really think I have no idea how to tune these things, I never mess around with damping save for the compression damping on the rear. If it's set full soft, seems like the rear end has trouble getting traction in snow and mud. Other than that, I tune understeer out with front tire pressure.

Your car project should be the bomb when it's done.

That was 2 days later (Lance won the 2 stages we saw). But knowing Cipo's reputation did help me. As he was about to emerge from his trailer, I walked up with the jersey to see a dozen or so guys hovering, all of us with stuff for him to sign. And one smoking hot chick. So I line up right behind her. He walks out, scans the crowd, goes straight to her, signs her hat and my jersey, then hops on his bike to warm up. He even gave me a smirk and a nod as if to say he knew it had been my plan. Applied logic at work!

I heard from reliable sources that Cipo was pulling a train of hotties at the Vegas bike show. Man, does that guy have talent!

After talking with Fran during my visit, it looks like the best thing will be to send the motor back for fitment. My plan was to have the motor tuned by the time the chassis gets here, but he is moving right along and Kinsler is not very quick on the turnaround. Plus, since we have changed from the planned ZF to the Ricardo box, the headers will need to be different. I guess I have wasted more money before... The good news is that when it comes back the Ricardo box will all be bolted up and fitted with headers and eveything. Though I have to admit I looked forward to doing the fun stuff, it will reduce the time to the first clutch replacement, and I can enjoy it all then ;)

I picked up some ideas while I was there, including a plan for some modular headrests. It was good to get in and see how the fit is. The seats are really comfortable, and very supportive. The view out the back is unmatched! I tested all of this in the yellow car in the background, which is Fran's car.

Here are a couple of shots of the chassis under construction. The welds are just amazing.

Oh BTW Fran, the SLC is fantastic, but I am on the right track here, no looking back!

Attachments

• Chassis1.jpg
    Chassis1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 3,399
  • chassis2.jpg
    chassis2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 2,975

Ron McCall

Supporter
Looking great!!! I remember being right where you are now.

Fran,
Tell Mark that he wasn't quick enough getting the cover on the yelow car!!!! LOL
Post some pictures of it!!!! Or atleast e-mail me a few.

Is that yellow car the Fran's company taxi? He told me the unhappy story if it's the car I think it is.

J, Stay away from my SLC :)..... you have your own car to play with.

Adding some images that Earl at Kinsler forwarded to me of the ITG filters being fitted to the stack manifold. Kinsler is simply first rate, and thus far the service has been the best part.

Attachments

• ITGa.jpg
    ITGa.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,039
  • ITGb.jpg
    ITGb.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,929
The car is in primer and after uncounted hours stewing about paint, I have finally decided that we are going to use a light blue similar but brighter that Gulf blue. I decided it would work after seeing Dick Towsends gorgeous car. I am going to use the Porsche color "Mexico Blue" PPG OEM #336.

I have decided to start with a solid blue. This will give me the option to add the orange stripe in the future if I want, but in the meantime the car will be fairly unique and still have a vintage look. I hope to have pictures in the next couple of weeks! Stay tuned...

Back