F1 2008

I lost interest in F1 about the time that Nigel Mansel retired. It's all big bucks and auto manufacturer money now. The small guy is no longer in the picture now.
Dave

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
F1 : FiA - Recommendation regarding Nigel Stepney Written by FiA Friday, 07 March 2008
logo_fia_balestre.jpg
FiA - Recommendation regarding Nigel Stepney : -

In its investigations of last year regarding the unauthorised use of intellectual property within Formula One, the FiA heard allegations that Mr. Nigel Stepney, then employed by Ferrari, had passed confidential Ferrari information to an employee of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes. Mr. Stepney has admitted this allegation and apologised to the FIA, though he disputes the seriousness and extent of his involvement.

As Mr. Stepney is not a licence-holder of the FiA, no formal action may be taken against him under the International Sporting Code (though the FiA is co-operating with the Italian police, who are investigating Mr. Stepney's actions). As a matter of good order, the FiA recommends to its licensees that they do not professionally collaborate with Mr. Stepney without conducting appropriate due diligence regarding his suitability for involvement in international motor sport. This recommendation stands until 1 July 2009.

I've a feeling that what the FIA are doing by producing this document is an illegal act here in the UK.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
From Granprix.com.

Nigel Stepney versus the FIA

The FIA announced on Friday night that it has concluded its investigations into Nigel Stepney, regarding "the unauthorised use of intellectual property within Formula 1". This was odd and raised more questions than it answered. The carefully-worded statement was published at a time that was obviously designed to minimise coverage, and mentioned that the federation had listened to "allegations" that Stepney passed confidential Ferrari information to "an employee of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes". It was added that Stepney admitted the allegation and apologised to the FIA.
It was not clear from the statement how the investigation was conducted.
Stepney responded on Saturday with a statement from his lawyers denying the FIA claims that he had admitted the allegations and had apologised. He did admit that Mike Coughlan had obtained very limited information as a result of what he described as his carelessness. But he claims that this was not the 780-page dossier that police found when they raided Coughlan's house last summer. Stepney is under investigation in Italy for suspected industrial espionage. The statement said that Stepney has never admitted any dishonest intention and that the FIA is aware of that.
"Our client blew the whistle on certain matters to FIA officials; that is not in any contention," the statement said. "The Italian authorities were made aware of this last month; they, too, accept his position."
The FIA statement said that the federation was recommending that its licence holders "do not professionally collaborate with Mr. Stepney without conducting appropriate due diligence regarding his suitability for involvement in international motor sport" until July 1, 2009.
In previous statements Stepney has claimed that he has had to "endure months of unfounded allegations" but has remained silent in the hope of being able to explain his activities at an FIA disciplinary hearing. This had been scheduled for Thursday, February 7, but was called off because the FIA legal team had problems with flights in Geneva. A replacement meeting never took place and Stepney now says that the FIA is "simply accepting one side of the story".
It is an interesting exchange as it is very clear that the FIA is unable to take any official action against Stepney as he is not an FIA licence-holder and dares not venture beyond that, for fear of getting tangled up in European law. After July 1, 2009 Stepney can work in the sport again without a cloud hanging over his head. This does not seem to be much of a punishment given the claims that have been made against Stepney and it is incongruous when compared to the $100m fine that was levied on McLaren for allegedly using a few elements of detail that appeared in the dossier which Stepney is supposed to have given to Coughlan.
In the circumstances it might have been a better strategy to do nothing at all and thus avoid pointing out the FIA's impotence.
There has been no word at all about any punishment for Coughlan, although there have been rumours that Coughlan agreed to a voluntary ban of some kind, probably on the understanding that this was kept out of the public domain. Stepney seems to feel rather more strongly about matters and says that the full story will emerge when he publishes his book on the subject later this year.
In the meantime the Italian police continues its investigations and there are still some in the sport who seem keen to keep the story running for as long as possible, as it acts as a useful blunt instrument for battering McLaren.
The results of the police inquiries will be greeted with much interest as anything other than serious charges will be be seen as evidence that McLaren was unfairly treated by the FIA. Even if there are charges made, the case would then have to go to court.
In the interim, it is best for F1 to get on with racing and try to avoid too much mud-slinging, as there is always the possibility that there will be legal repercussions for those involved once the Italian legal procedures come to an end.
This will all end one day and there is little doubt that it will end badly for one side or the other.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Bridgestone Motorsport can confirm that for the 2008 FIA Formula 1 World Championship season their extreme wet weather tyre will be marked with a white line in the bottom of the central groove. This is in addition to marking the softer of the two dry tyre compounds at each race. The white tyre marking, which will be present from the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne onwards, has been introduced at the request of the teams and in consultation with the FIA to make Bridgestone’s extreme wet weather tyres visibly distinguishable from the wet weather tyres when used on the track in the wet.

I don't think the extreme wets will be needed if this forecast is correct. But in Melbourne you never know:D

Melbourne Forecast
Issued at 4:50 am EDT on Tuesday 11 March 2008

Warning Summary
Nil

Forecast for Tuesday
Fine apart from the chance of a light shower or two this morning. Cloud clearing
to a mostly sunny afternoon. Light to moderate southerly winds.

Precis: Mainly fine.
City: Max 26

Laverton: Max 24 Yarra Glen: Max 29
Tullamarine: Max 26 Mt Dandenong: Max 23
Watsonia: Max 25 Scoresby: Max 27
Frankston: Max 24 Geelong: Max 23

UV Index: 7 [High] UV Alert from 10:30 to 16:40

Wednesday Fine. Min 16 Max 30
Thursday Fine. Min 17 Max 36
Friday Fine. Min 22 Max 37
Saturday Fine. Min 21 Max 35
Sunday Fine. Min 23 Max 35
Monday Fine. Min 20 Max 30

The next routine forecast will be issued at 10:40 am EDT Tuesday.

Malcolm

Supporter
I thought HK was unfortunately screwed by that last safety car period, otherwise would have been on the podium!

RB may have needed to stop for fuel when the pit lane was closed but should not have gone through the red light on exit. Was he eventually excluded from the results?

DC out - 50/50 racing incident in my view

RK will be interesting to watch all year I think.

LH performed as hoped for

Maybe Ferrari need some McLaren data? :)

Hope Torro Rosso keep going well

Overall a more interesting race than most previously as you could see the drivers were on the edge more clearly than with all the driver aids.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Barichello was excluded though may be making an appeal.
Good comments Malcolm - now awaiting Pete's view though it may take a while. Hangovers arrive much quicker and take longer to recover from these days......

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Rubens Barrichello has called for a change to the signalling system in the pits, after getting disqualified for running through a red light in the Australian Grand Prix.
The Brazilian had been battling for a points-scoring finish in Melbourne before a disastrous pitstop for fuel. He broke the rules by pitting under safety car conditions, hit some of his pit crew after leaving early and then went straight through the red light.

After being excluded for his sixth placed finish for running through the red light, Barrichello said he had not seen it - and thinks only a new system will help prevent similar situations in the future.
"I never saw a red light," said the Brazilian. "I will never see it and I don't pretend to see it. They are in the wrong places and by the time you see it, it is too late. You have already gone past it.
"Because of the new ECU, you have different functions and different knobs that you have to change all through the pitstops, and I am still doing that when I get to the lights."
When asked whether or not he felt the use of a flag marshal at the pit exit would be better, Barrichello said: "At least. Or at least a big panel, like they had at Turn 3 to show yellow flags. You need something huge like that.
"My problem in the past 16 years of F1 is that the lights at the end of the pits, you don't see them. It has happened to Montoya, Massa and Kubica. Nobody will see it unless someone in the team is prepared to say there is a red light, or something else is done. It is unfortunate."

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
My thoughts; I agree with Malcolm's summation. It was Bloody hot and with the wind blowing it was like standing in front of a massive hair dryer.
Honda nearly in the points, will make Mr.Brawn smile. Webber must have broken a mirror, he was quick all weekend and stiff to be punted on the first lap.
Hamilton did the job as expected. Ferrari will be there when they sort out the ECU.
It was good to catch up with Bill and Ross again for a few ales.
I will post a few pics when I download them.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I think Big Ron has a remote "Stop" button that can be used on the Kimsters car.....he tested it in qualifying and again during the race.

Doing those ECU's has to have some sort of benefit.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Some pictures, first one is for Paolo.:D

Attachments

• AGP 2008 008 (Small).jpg
    AGP 2008 008 (Small).jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 311
  • AGP 2008 018 (Small).jpg
    AGP 2008 018 (Small).jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 304
  • AGP 2008 019 (Small).jpg
    AGP 2008 019 (Small).jpg