A few pics of my first attempt to drive a lola

Brand New tires, a small french track (loheac) pouring rain (+ a bit of snow!), temp near zero,my grandfather explaining I must not spin off as we have no tow eye fitted. I found it so har to change gear which I was told was due to low temp in gearbox. I have never driven a car with a hewland and my goodness I take my hat off to you all that can.
Please someone explain how to change gear with an element of grace with that gearbox?

Attachments

• HPIM0471.JPG
    HPIM0471.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 505
  • HPIM0496.JPG
    HPIM0496.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 540
  • HPIM0498.JPG
    HPIM0498.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 393
  • HPIM0487.JPG
    HPIM0487.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 455
  • HPIM0494.JPG
    HPIM0494.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 659

Gordo

Lifetime Supporter
Brand New tires, a small french track (loheac) pouring rain (+ a bit of snow!), temp near zero

You must be nuts!!! Save it for a nice day!

G.

Were you able to find all the gears ? It was too cold for that box unless you warmed it with a kero heater or something first. If you don't use the clutch, it won't grind on up shifts. If you use the clutch and blip the gas, it won't grind on down shifts. Do not shift slow...It is not like a synchro box.

hi Johan, I didn't get all the gears on the track I hit third once and then slowing down coun't get second. I will try your method next time, I do the same on my motorbike i.e get the revs right and it'll just pop it in gear without the clutch. Thanks for that, no-one suggested that method.

hi Gordo, the conditions were ALL wrong, but you have to book track days as you know well in advance and the weather is always a gamble. I'm glad the grandfather want this car to be out there being used rather than sitting looking pretty gathering dust + the small French town loved seeing a lovely Lola rock up to their little village !! they didn't want the mufflers in !! As I entered the pits someone asked if I'd had a ' Lola Mechanical Orgasim' ?!:laugh:

Any idea how to order or set about fixing a front and rear towing eye? Can I simply call the Lola factory and order these items for the MkII ?

Attachments

• HPIM0495.JPG
    HPIM0495.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 608

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Be almost physically brutal and dont pause between up shifts, sync the throttle angle to the next lowest gear on down shifting (almost double
declutching but only one clutch movement instead of two) , Warm it up if you can or inhibit the cooler if it has one (or put a thermostat in the line - talk to Mocal in London or Demon Thieves). And disregard the noise. It sounds quite horrible until you get used to it.
ps - I lived in St Peter for 4 yrs.

Be brutal , yes, but don't "overthrow" the shifter. In other words, provide your own imaginary stop and do not jam the shifter home. Otherwise the shifter rod can become become cocked in the ball and jam.

Back