GT90 from ground up

Me too
Still getting settled in the new place.
Had to build an office and a "clean" workshop for the mill and lathe.
Sick of cleaning putty dust of them despite the dust curtains and covers in the previous shed.
I'll get some pics up once the mess has subsided somewhat.
FWIW the 90 plug survived the move intact.
It was suspended on rails in the container above some of our furniture.
Des

Thanks for the update Des, I have been checking this thread daily and I was really getting withdrawal symptoms from no news.

JoeT What is the car in your avatar? Looks like a Challenger headlights on each end of the grille.

Back to Des, are you in the position to now continue with the car? I really can't wait now to see the finished product!

Des,
I'm glad the move went well, and wish you luck with the new place. Would of been kinda funny if you played an April fools on us all and said that you lost the plug in the move... On second thought we might of had a heart attack:laugh:. Anyhow thanks for the little update Des, looking forward to your next step!

Ryan,
Its a 74' Toyota Celica. I used to have one, sold it about a year ago.

Joe.

JoeT Just looked that up there, cool looking machine. Thanks

Des I know you are very busy but for die hard thread followers like me, your absence is really punishing. Pics of the new place would be really appreciated ;), so I can't wait to see.

Keep up your dream Des, I know quite a few people who are really waiting to see how this one turns out, I'm sure if you start offering kits there will be buyers...

Some eye candy in the meantime:

Doesn't it just look stunning.

gt04.jpg

Just thought I would chime in here and make my myself at home. I was referred to this thread from Ryan on the GT-90 Forum and I must say that after reading all this thread I am hooked into the progress and it has my attention to find out just how the car is coming along.

However, I come to the table with something to offer that may be of assistance here. I personally have taken some pictures of the real GT-90 within the last year and I do have access to the car on occasion but it is currently in long term storage. Best of all though I can sell the complete set of ORIGINAL GT-90 Engraved tread tires and wheels that are the spare set for the car. Does that earn me any attanetion here? Please feel free to email me at [email protected] if you wish to talk further about this car or tires. TTFN

Mike--Mustangman7

Mustangman7, I have contacted you about the GT90 and your wheel offer many times now but your server is timed out over and over and will not let me send you the message.

I have therefore forwarded a copy of the messages I was sending you to your personal message inbox on this forum and over on the GT90 club. Please read these, I would appreciate it greatly!

Des,
Hope things are going well!

You may already know know this, but I'll tell you anyways. According to "MotorTrend" magazine the GT90 had a yellow panel located on the B-piller used to open the door by pressing it in. The car also had infrared sensors located in the B-pillar letting you know when there is a car in your blind spot by illuminating a red light in your side mirror. This helped cope with the poor visibility due to the sharp line of the body/door. I know that your probably not going to incorporate infrared sensors in your build, buy maybe using the same type of door opener would be cool.
gt90Dooropener.jpg

JoeT

The car also had infrared sensors located in the B-pillar letting you know when there is a car in your blind spot by illuminating a red light in your side mirror. This helped cope with the poor visibility due to the sharp line of the body/door. I know that your probably not going to incorporate infrared sensors in your build, buy maybe using the same type of door opener would be cool.

It may be easier than you think, just wander on down to a Volvo dealer if you have one close and see if they have the BLISS system fitted on any of their display cars.

Brett

I assume that is the fuel filler underneath those sensors and door, er, handle.

Is that a door handle or a touch pad, or is it pushed in. Those little details are the stuff I'd love to find out.

Also, I don't know if the GT90 used arrows in it's mirrors as indicators, see attached picture.
gt17.jpg

Not sure if this is just the blind spot warning system working. If I can dig out my official press release, I may be able to confirm that the same system was just about to (in 1994) be put into their trucks.

gt29.jpg

Hope you don't mind Des:

YouTube - Ford GT90 Replica Built From Scratch

Last edited:
Is that a door handle or a touch pad, or is it pushed in. Those little details are the stuff I'd love to find out.

From what I read, you press the yellow panel in, and the door pops and swings open. Did you photoshop the picture you enclosed with the indicator arrows in the side views? or is that an official photo of the actual arrows?

Joe

Thanks to all for keeping this thread alive, the rehash of the new premisies is almost done.
Moving always takes way longer than you expect to get settled again.
My better half coming down with pneumonia and ending up in hospital did not exactly help.
I will post some pics in the next day or so of the new workshop and shed. now it is starting to look as if someone owns it, it's amazing how far the contents of a 40ft container will spread.

Ryan is in the process of revamping his GT90 site and kindly added a full set of all my pics together in one place in chronological order
replica should get you there.
Home will get you to the site itself, give him some support and check it out from time to time.

mustangman, sorry you feel you need to earn attention here, it was never my intention anyone needed to do so.
As far as the wheel offer goes, I really appreciate it but will have to decline for a few reasons. The bolt pattern will not suit nor will the offset be ideal for my setup as I am not using Jag XJ220 parts as in the original (way too difficult to source for any builders) the tread pattern would not be legal for the road here so could only be used for shows etc, original tyre size is also not readly available so a setup to suit it would not be viable for future build etc.
I thank you heaps for the offer though.

Door opening wise I was planning on a press-in panel and kind of deduced the yellow bit was for this purpose.
With the very low cost these days of cameras I am toying with a camera tucked up above the door "handle" on each side as well as a rear facing one all displayed on a sat nav system in the dash or in the internal rear view mirror with suitable switchgear, still a way off yet though.

A belated thankyou to Russ for the rave review, and I didn't have to pay him........
All things being equal I should be back 90-ing late this week, finally.....
Des

Back