Parts to Build GT40 MKI, roller, Roush, ZF...what else?

Hello All,

I'm still weighing some options on GT40 vs a Kirkham cobra and need some help on what extra's are needed to build a MKI beyond the obvious things:

1 - MKI rolling chassis 70k to 80k
1 - ZF DS-25/2 (preferred) or Quaife QZF (costs?)
1 - Roush GT-40 Motor e.g. 342R Superformance GT-40 (12k to 26k)

What additional parts not included in the above are required to assemble the car? (primary parts not a nuts and bolt break down). Thank you in advance for any input you might have! Secondary question, if I was placing the order soon is there any hope of getting a transaxle in time to be on the road by spring?

Kind Regards,
Mike

ZF- 12-13K; bellhousing , clutch and associated parts, someone did a great breakdown on the costs here on the SPF forum a while back. more expensive than you think

Hello Chuck,

Thank you for the post, was hoping to get more specific information on the parts (e.g. what brand/type bellhousing, clutch?). I see fans on his list but in the pictures of the roller I see fans, are the stock one's crap? Trying to source the parts for cost, but I guess if it's a pretty minor list, it's not going to amount to much and I shouldn't worry.

Guess that only leaves the following:

Secondary question, if I was placing the order soon is there any hope of getting a transaxle in time to be on the road by spring?

Kind Regards,
Mike

Last edited:
my stock fans have never let me down even in the hot south. I think it is unlikel you can come up with a suitable tranny for several months if not longer

Mike,
I just got my RBT in June after an 11 month wait. Got mine for $8700, but heard they are $12K now? Don't know on the ZFQ, but recently Chris M. said something about taking orders for a second batch to be delivered next year. Think ZFQ is $13.5K depending on exchange rate.

Hello All,

I just got my RBT in June after an 11 month wait.

I seriously cannot believe with Transaxles being such an issue for so long a time, that competition in the market place hasn't solved this issue by now! Is RBT the ONLY reputable ZF dealer?

Cheers,
Mike

Hello All,

I seriously cannot believe with Transaxles being such an issue for so long a time, that competition in the market place hasn't solved this issue by now! Is RBT the ONLY reputable ZF dealer?

Cheers,
Mike

You need to use the search function a bit more, this issue has been discussed many times over the last few years on this and other forums. Is there really a market out there for more production? In the short term, yes - long term, maybe, but its a hard one to please.

I'd say it's more than a short term issue, if someone has had the time to develop an all new transaxle, test it, bring it to market, start to sell it and the market is STILL waiting like it is. Shelby developed the aluminum 427 for just such an issue, Superformance should work on this issue to increase their market share. Having a dealer network with cars available now and motors in a few weeks, doesn't really help with a main part on backorder for a year :)

Cheers,
Mike

Mike
Cobramike:

This forum has been in existence for several years, ever since the SPF GT-40's were announced. There are tons of information of the type you are looking for so you should set aside several hours to go through this forum from beginning to end, taking lots of notes and save lots of postings.

At this point, there's not a consensus as to what the "best build" is as the product is still quite new, evolving as it comes from the manufacturer, and new build methods and build products are coming to the fore all the time. Perhaps more importantly, everybody wants their item according to their own taste.

The knowledge and experiences posted on this forum are "gold" and are an essential "jump-off point" for anybody preparing for or considering a SPF GT-40 purchase and build (which is why I'm here).

In my view, the transaxle choice should be dictated by the powerplant you plan to use and how you plan to drive the car (racing or highway and boulevard cruising). The Quaife QZF is rated for quite a bit more power than the RBT item, is competitively priced, and is in the same ball-park as far as availability, I believe. The Quaife item has been much discussed on other forums of this website so do some searches. So far, no regular frequenter of this forum has posted a failure of the RBT item, with some pretty powerful engines. But I've talked to a crew chief of a vintage racer (original Mark I) that has stated that his client's driving is "pretty tough" on the RBT product, always keeping two as back-up in the transporter. Up until fairly recently, ZF transaxle production has been, and still is, very much a small "cottage industry." The introduction of the SPF GT-40 severely slammed the market, demand and availability-wise. The Quaife's are now in production and, once the market for the SPF GT-40's saturates a bit and the demand for transaxles drops off, delivery times should get more reasonable. But I don't believe that RBT or Quaife will ever spend millions of $'s to ramp up their production-lines because they are aware that demand will always be quite small and the present situation is just a "bubble" due to the introduction of the SPF item.

Could be wrong. Been wrong before........

Hello Alan,

Thank you for the suggestion and comments, I've spent over 10 hours on the site as suggested as I'm new to GT40's. I'm guessing you're likely spot on about the transaxles! But I could be wrong about you not being wrong :).

Cheers,
Mike

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Mike,

I have one of two known FE powered SPF MK11's with new RBT ZF (M1)....1,500 miles on mine and no problems yet.

Steve P2125

FWIW I spoke to Lance (owner and CEO of Superformance) in Monterey last week and asked him if he was still having issues with RBT and gearbox procurement. He told me that Lloyd finally got his act together (or demand has been reduced enough) so that he is able to get new gearboxes within about three weeks of placing his order? :inquisitive:

I don't know if I quite believe that however!

See attached PDF. This is a minimal list of things you needs not including the engine or trans.

Depending on how you do your install, you may need much more. I spent over $2K on AN fittings alone.

Attachments

• Parts Kits Rev 1.pdf
    13.8 KB · Views: 512
Back