SouthernGT No6

Re: Nick's (I'll get there one day) Build Log

Steve,

I’m sure you will build your 40 one day, and although it’s not much consolation you have the knowledge that you helped someone else fulfil their dream along the way. I count myself very very lucky to have met you.

Nick

Visit to Southern GT

Hi,

Popped in to pick up some more bits from Southern, Mick now stocks an almost complete range of parts for a 40, might be worth trying him if you are looking for that elusive part. Also got to drool over another couple of 40’s being readied for SVA.

While I was there I took the opportunity to drop of my G50, put it down turned round to look at one of Micks completed cars turned back and it had already been put in a chassis with measurements being taken and discussed, they don’t hang around at Southern!!!!

Dealing with Mick always seems to be a pleasure, but even I was pleasantly surprised to be given a Southern GT shirt as the purchaser of a Southern chassis even though my purchase was 2nd hand.

Nick

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 1,395
Last edited:
Engine pictures

Maybe a bit bling but I like it.

Attachments

• DSCF0728.jpg
    DSCF0728.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,375
  • DSCF0729.jpg
    DSCF0729.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,246
  • DSCF0730.jpg
    DSCF0730.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,232
Pulley alignment problem

Hi,

As can be seen from the pictures there is a slight height discrepancy between my old damper and pulley and the new one. This causes an alignment problem with the serpentine belt, does anyone do a spacer to overcome this problem, or will I need to have one made up or attempt to make one myself.

Nick

Attachments

• DSCF0732.jpg
    DSCF0732.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,090
Re: Nick's (I'll get there one day) Build Log

Have you checked to see if all that 'Bling' is going to fit down in that cavity where it will be seldom seen before you make a crank pulley to fit the bling- Might find yourself redesigning the bling to suit a shorter more compact crank pulley!:)

Re: Bling

Hi,

Those exact thoughts crossed my mind, I think it's going to be OK won't really know untill the chassis gets here.

Nick

Chassis changes for G50 box

Mick at Southern GT has been altering my chassis to accept my G50 box. They had not previously installed a Porsche box in one of their chassis, but in my opinion the pictures speak for themselves and Mick's usual attention to detail and impressive work.

Attachments

• P9031802.jpg
    P9031802.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,613
  • P9031803.jpg
    P9031803.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,194
  • P9031804.jpg
    P9031804.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,237
  • P9031805.jpg
    P9031805.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,191
Some pictures of Micks hard work on my exhaust.

Attachments

• exhaust1.jpg
    exhaust1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,779
  • exhaust2.jpg
    exhaust2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,134
  • exhaust3.jpg
    exhaust3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,211
  • exhaust4.jpg
    exhaust4.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,456
Hi Nick,
Making some really solid progress. I'm impressed. It's the first time i've really noticed the differences between a G50 and my 930. You must be chuffed. I'm still waiting on my engine.
Martin

Mick and his son have been busy designing and building my gear linkage for my G50 box. I find it strange that people will spend millions of pound for a picture of a bunch of flowers in a vase when they could hang this work of art on their walls for a lot less.

Attachments

• PB211897.jpg
    PB211897.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,238
  • PB211896.jpg
    PB211896.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,326

Mike Pass

Supporter
You haven't got the bill yet. It will be millions by the time you have finished buying flash bits and bobs! Seriously though it looks classy and very original.
Cheers
Mike

Mike,

Perhaps I should have kept my big mouth shut, but I've been assured, like most of Southern's products it will be reasonable, as they wanted to develop a G50 option. Also, I had my hidden recorder going at the time.

Nick

Well the bill was very reasonable considering the work Mick and Adam had done, enabling me to purchase a powder coating system and have a play. I was fairly pleased with the results for a first attempt.

Attachments

• Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,110
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,031
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,179
Hi,

Thanks for that, I thought about the kitchen oven until I read the process gives of toxic fumes so bought a cheap oven for the shed, but it's a bit small.

Learnt my leason years ago when I decided to learn about cars by building a kit car. Got to the part of the engine rebuild where the manual advised placing the piston in hot water to aid assembly of the gudgeon pins.

My mum came home to find me on the front step with my oily pistons in her stainless steel teapot. Apparently the tea never tasted the same again, don't drink the stuff myself so couldn't really comment on if her statement was true or not.

Picked my chassis up from Mick at Southern GT just before Christmas and some other goodies supplied by Mick

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,081
Hey Nick,
I just love the black chassis. Mine is Black and I love it. Makes the car look very race oriented. Nice work.
Martin

Martin,

Many thanks, it's spooky as I was looking at your build thread (thinking how the black colour of your chassis looks better than mine) just before I posted the picture.

Back