ZFQ new proposed GT40 transaxle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Andy

I would love to see pictures of your RCR with the ZFQ installed, please post picture when installed.

Regards

Chris.

Hi Guys

Dennis Olthoff sent me photo's of a ZFQ being polished, still a little work to do but looking good.
Anyone needing a trans soon, Dennis has one spare.

regards

Chris.

Attachments

• Polished ZFQ.jpg
    Polished ZFQ.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,827
  • Polished ZFQ1.jpg
    Polished ZFQ1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,583
  • polished ZFQ2.jpg
    polished ZFQ2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,162
Bet that took some hours, did a inlet manifold myself That took me weeks, would not fancy giving the box a go, and once done its keeping it like it, still looks the part, :thumbsup: Andy

Kyalami 9 hour.
ZFQ gets a racing pedigree by Martin Gough
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Saturday at Kyalami, South Africa two Superformance GT40s finished 1st and 2nd in class and 3rd overall in the three hour race run that afternoon. The cars had been driven from the factory some 750 miles to compete. Both cars were fitted with ZFQ Transaxles which like the cars behaved impeccably. The race was fantastic to spectate in changeable conditions. I will post pictures as soon as I am able.
Today myself Chris Melia, Nigel Hulme (GT40Contiuation) and Michael Quaife will visit the Superformance factory and have a look round.

Photos to follow.

Chris

Good news indeed. Do I remember you saying that the Kyalami cars were running 525bhp motors and without transmission oil coolers........If true then some achievement.

Soon have mine trial fitted to the (550bhp) LS, oh happy days

Best

John

Photos
First in class the yellow MK11
second in class The red MK1

Attachments

• Africa visit 011.jpg
    Africa visit 011.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,156
Chris it will be great to see these cars doing battle.

Please take as many pictures as they will let you at Hi Tech. I always thought it would have been great if they had taken picture with a disposable camera as the car was being built and tossed it in the car as they packed it up.

I think we all wish we were going along. Enjoy your trip.

Hi guys

I am relying on Martin fo photos as my camera was playing up, the cars raced at Kyalami for the three hours without trans coolers or oil pumps, but these are being fitted for this weekends East london race.
Kyalami is at 6000 feet above sea level. The two SPF cars were both 500BHP plus cars and both were brand new cars finishing 3 and 4 overall in a field of 49 cars, the winning car was a 962 Porsche.

Regards

Chris.

Attachments

• Africa visit 013.jpg
    Africa visit 013.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,061
A few pictures from Kyalami.

Attachments

• P1020811.jpg
    P1020811.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 493
  • P1020813.jpg
    P1020813.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 834
  • P1020823.jpg
    P1020823.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 676
  • P1020827.jpg
    P1020827.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 710
  • P1020840.jpg
    P1020840.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 619
And a few more. I will be posting some video as soon as possible.

Attachments

• P1020960.jpg
    P1020960.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 469
  • P1020886.jpg
    P1020886.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 636
  • P1020874.jpg
    P1020874.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 722
  • P1020873.jpg
    P1020873.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 602
Chris or Martin

I note on your new site that the oil temp on the Kyalami cars was 125deg C. I am debating the fitment of a pump and cooler to my ZF-Q hence the questions. What is the optimum operating temp range for the oil which you recommend. I notice that some (synthetic) gearbox oils have a more rapid decline in effeciency (ie the transmission suffers greater power loss) above 100 deg C. Can you please help me to make sense of an area which is new to me.

Many thanks

John

Hi John

The cars in South Africa as you know were not fitted with pumps,filters or coolers. The temperature readings were taken within seconds of the cars pulling into the pits by myself with a infra red temp gun after they had run at race pace for over three hours. I have contacted Silkoline for a technical explanation of the oil which I will post later. In the mean time they assure me that those sort of temperatures are not a problem. I will not be fitting a pump, filter or cooler to my own transmission.

In the mean time the two Superformance cars were doing battle over the weekend at East London in South Africa. One car finished 1st in class 2nd overall the other retired in appalling wet conditions due to poor visibility.

Hi guys
just got this email from South Africa.

Hi Chris,

The 3hour event in East London was run on Saturday. Peter’s car ran the full 3hrs and finished second. He was leading up to the last 15 laps but was pulled back by the pace car and was passed by the backdraft cobra on full wets. We only had the Avons and the event was run through three huge thunderstorms so we were OK with the result. Pete actually was on Pole.
George Fouche qualified third, with no practice due to ongoing problems with the clutch and he only just got the qually lap in. At the start and in the rain no one came near him and he was about 6-8 seconds a lap quicker than anyone. His wiper box packed up after 1.30 hours and retired. Pete’s also failed a bit later but he just drove without it, even in the rain.

Both looked awesome in the wet on that long EL main straight, with the headlights on and the spray, just like the F1’s in the wet. In the dry Pete pulled 280 KPH just before braking for the 90 degree Cocabana corner!

Regards

Chris

Go here for results http://mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1018452

Last edited:
'Ello

There is now some great information on the ZF-Q (62G) transaxle on the Quaife site including tech drawings and recommendations on oil.

John

Just received an e-mail from Silkoline re the oil temperature query for syntran 5. They advise that continuous running at 125 degrees C is not a problem and that the oil will withstand short running periods of temps up to 150 degrees C without any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back