917 Engine start..... after 30 years !!!!

The chassis is has always been known as '917-012(021)' and the frame does not carry a chassis plate.Chassis is due to be restored by Gunnar Racing in 2009. History as follows:

'917 012'No Chassis Number, Built using a frame purchased from Porsche AG (No Chassis #) - Period Report states Frame 917 012 (021) Frame Does Not Carry a Chassis #
1971 - David Piper Racing (GB) - Chassis Built up by David Piper

1971 - David Piper Racing (GB) - Painted: White / Red Sills (Lucky Strike Sponsership)Fitted Single Fuel FillerFitted 4.9 Litre Flat 12 Engine
06-Nov-71 Kyalami 9hrs 4 Mario Casoni / Tony Adamowicz 4th

1972 - Piper-White Racing (GB) - David PiperPainted: GreenFitted Finned TailFitted Single Fuel Filler. Fitted 5.4 Litre Flat 12 Engine
06-Aug-72 Norisring Interserie 3 Chris Craft Retired
Aug-72 Brands Hatch 62 Chris Craft DNA Rothmans 50,000 Entry
27-Aug-72 Keimola Interserie 3 Chris Craft 3rd
29-Sep-72 Nurburgring Interserie 3 Chris Craft 6th
01-Oct-72 Hockenheim Interserie 3 Chris Craft 3rd
Retired From Active Competition

1973 - David Piper Racing (GB) Painted: Green, Fitted Finned Tail, In Storage

197* / 1984 - Peter Norman (GB) Fitted Finned Tail

1985 - Peter Norman (GB) Painted: Silver. Fitted Finned Tail
Jul-85 Silverstone 62 Derek Bell British GP Support Race

198* / 2006 - Rosso Bianco Museum (D) - Peter Kraus. Painted: Yellow / Red Sills. Repainted During The Ownership of Peter Kraus Painted: White Fitted Finned Tail - On Display @ The Rosso Bianco Museum

2007 / 2008 - (USA) Bought After The Closure of the Rosso Bianco Museum (D). Painted: White - No Chassis Number. Fitted Finned Tail
06-Dec-08 Sebring - Static Gunnar Racing For Restoration

good work guys! yes the chassis plate has been removed. there are 2 holes where its supposed to be. When the car was painted white most recently, it was "smoothed" out with lots of Bondo. I;ve got a paint chip of the car at home, it looks like the rings of a cut tree with all of the differant paint colors. Its all going to ground off to the original fiberglass.

917 plug!!!

Attachments

• 917 021 (1).jpg
    917 021 (1).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 592
  • 917 021 (545).jpg
    917 021 (545).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 606
its funny reading all these assumptions as to what went on at gunnars. I was there that day. I can tell you this. No, its not the 917 that has been on their website for a few years. that car actually was Carl thompsons car, then he sold it to Freisinger. this car has the 1971 tail with the big fins, see pic. It's been through some transformations. it is one of the original 25 longtails, which exact number I dont know, (Actually I'm forbidden to tell). The cars oil was changed. One of the CD boxes had its wires crossed so that was corrected. The high pressure fuel pump was replaced. Fresh fuel was pumped from and external fuel can. the original fuel stunk like, well, old gas! 2 batteries were charged the night before to assist the cranking. what the video does not convey was the noise, the trembling, the smell, the choking on the plumes of smoke. It was awesome! Dont worry about the motor, It is getting torn down anyway. The car was driven up and down his street because he wanted to make sure that everything was working properly. the new owner is going to be "taught" how to drive his new majestic beast at a local racetrack very soon. At 5 grand a day to rent the track, it would be wise to make sure the clutch works and the cars shifts. once the owner is "trained" the car is going to be torn apart for a full restoration.

All is explained there, thanks GB, I was just trying to work out what was going on as I know you lucky guys are 100% and would not be screwing a 917 engine. I saw them doing their thing in the 70s (awesome--Seppi and Pedro) pure magic! I was at Le Mans Classic and there were 3 there---wonderful.

hey mikegtr, add this to the cars history. sticker was on the dash.
Kremer bros. got their paws on this as well. Tag is on the back of the tail

Attachments

• 917 021 (338).jpg
    917 021 (338).jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 500
  • 917 021 (95).jpg
    917 021 (95).jpg
    28 KB · Views: 468
It looks to me that this is the 917 from the former Rosso Bianco museeum.
Looking at page 243 of the book Rosso Bianco Collection there is a picture of the engine room of the 917.
When comparing this with the video on youtube, everything including the earthing strap and the cable ties is exactly in the same position.

Back