Starter Problems Still

Got the correct starter today but it doesn't fit into the hole in the block plate. The diameter of the lip in the face of the starter is larger than the diameter of the hole in the block plate. So, do I have to get a grinder up in there and open up the stupid hole? Or can I grind the lip off the starter so it lays flush on the block plate.

Just another hurdle in trying to get this car on the road. Seems like they're never ending

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Bill

If it is indeed the correct starter then I personally would not alter the starter.
It also uses the lip to correctly align the starter with the ring gear.

It would be far better to alter the mounting plate so that should you have any future problems with the starter you can just bolt in a new one without having to modify anything.

It is far better to do the mod only once and then be able to use standard parts for the future than having to constantly modify new bits ongoing.

Dimi

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Bill

Bad back and GT40 owner go hand in hand!

Good lick with your starter - mine just started to click instead of turn over - you are not alone! I think though, the main cut off switch is failing as everything dies after the click!

Ian

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ian - Your issue may be as simple as a bad connection at the battery.

Bill - as we discussed on the phone - You just need to use a die grinder to open up the hole in the block plate a little at a time until the boss of the starter mates and the bolt holes line up. You don't want the starter bolts alone to locate the starter - that's the job of the boss fitting into the block plate - the bolt's jobs are to hold the starter to the engine/trans assembly and to keep the starter from rotating when engaged.

We'll talk more tonight I hope..

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Bill -

Don't know how bad the interference is, but I had similar problems with some of the scatter shields block plates in the past cars. Ends up mostly being a burr left from the stampings. If that's it get a drill or die grinder (a bigger hammer) and a sanding roll and see if that is all you need to clean it up. If it off significantly something might not be right. I have also had to clean up some casting flash on the flange of the starter and then slides right in.

Sandy

Bill -

Don't know how bad the interference is, but I had similar problems with some of the scatter shields block plates in the past cars. Ends up mostly being a burr left from the stampings. If that's it get a drill or die grinder (a bigger hammer) and a sanding roll and see if that is all you need to clean it up. If it off significantly something might not be right. I have also had to clean up some casting flash on the flange of the starter and then slides right in.

Sandy

That's my plan of attack

Back