Jimmymac & Alistair's Cars

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
re: Jimmymac & Alistair's Cars

I have been asked about the fire suppression system.
Here are the same Graviner probes which were fitted to the Gulf cars. Most people have never seen these as they were removed and not replaced for various reasons.
The reeds in this type of probe can be calibrated and the units are fitted between the SW pumps and aloft on the inner engine bulkhead to cover the Webers.
I will also stick a couple near my fuel system to be sure.

I have a mate looking into a modern controller for me.

Attachments

• Graviner Detectors.jpg
    Graviner Detectors.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 1,226
  • FUEL SYSTEM.jpg
    FUEL SYSTEM.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,325
Last edited:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

The original screens fit !
I saw this as a major milestone as the fitting of this piece accurately verifies the dimensions from the surveys with the drawings.
The jig assemby went well and the doors were also trial fitted at this stage to check the roof spider.
Everything fitted snugly again.

Attachments

• Screen Fit 6th Feb 2009.jpg
    Screen Fit 6th Feb 2009.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 1,469

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter

James,
Brilliant, somehow the windscreen makes the car seems almost complete. The excitement is up another notch.

Dave

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the compliments chaps.

Dave,
Well we are a wee bit chuffed.:pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper:
As the screen is really the key to most of the geometry, it's a major piece to go in and we knew we had two that fitted original cars.
Ray and Steve took a lot of time trial fitting everything. We made a fibre-glass screen but the only way to know for sure is to tack everything up and gently drop in the glass.
There is really not much room for error with this thing because it is all thin metal and one can't just drop a blob of bondo on to correct anything if it's out.

Last edited:

Keith

James, I'm curious. Being an "original" in all regards, there seems to be a lot more curvature to the screen top and bottom and thus to the spider and the front valance than the average replica. Is this the result of the camera angle or is this a fact? I have trawled the gallery for a similar angle shot of a replica but to no avail.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Keith,
It's a fact in my opinion, the screen has more curves than most replicas.
The pictures of a '66 original and P1107 might correspond to the profile of the one you see in Alistair's car above.
P1008 has the same screen fitted as we checked our templates of the A pillars and front valance on this car when it was in Mirage for the rebuild into it's MKII livery.

Attachments

• 66 MKI No2.jpg
    66 MKI No2.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 1,003
  • FMC1 031.jpg
    FMC1 031.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 1,039
  • P1107 TOP VIEW.jpg
    P1107 TOP VIEW.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,079
Last edited:

Look's Good James.
Too bad it's not here. I would like to run it through the chemwash. Put a couple of drainage holes in the floorpan and run it throught the ELPO Phosphate dip. From there it would go through a three stage bake. It would be annealed in the same process. It would come out a light olive green colour. Just prime, paint and assemble.
Dave

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

An original rear clip and doors fit rather well.
I now have to draw up layouts for the complete equipment fit-out and I am busy measuring up the positions for the original bracketry including those for for the fuel pumps, fispa, coil and ignition electrics.

Attachments

• Rear Clip Fit Up 27 feb 09.jpg
    Rear Clip Fit Up 27 feb 09.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 1,240
  • FIT UP 01 28 FEB 2009.jpg
    FIT UP 01 28 FEB 2009.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,494
  • Roof Fit Up 01 27 02 09.jpg
    Roof Fit Up 01 27 02 09.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 1,310

Hi Jimmy

you are making great progress I am particularly pleased to see the clip and doors in place, the fit looks good.

Regards

Chris.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter

Jimmy,

If there was an award....come to think of it there should be...FOR YOU!

Great.

Steve

Steve

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Steve,
Many thanks but credit must go to Ray and Steve.
Without them and all their hard work on this project, I would still be sitting on a pile of parts and drawings, dreaming life away.

Keith

Steve,
Many thanks but credit must go to Ray and Steve.
Without them and all their hard work on this project, I would still be sitting on a pile of parts and drawings, dreaming life away.

Don't be so shy big boy - you are the glue - it's a team effort. I'm almost sorry it's gonna be finished!

Don't get me wrong, I have really enjoyed the detective work, the tenacity and the (forgive me) sometimes anally retentive attitude to originality. It's better than any Soap ever, and knocks the spots off the cheque book method (no disrespect guys, whatever blows your hair back).

Thanks,

Keith

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

sometimes anally retentive

So far I always have been, and "anal retention" is more socially acceptable than expulsion these days, especially when sitting in an aircraft or submarine.

Last edited:
Back