Behind The Radiator on Originals

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
On some of the original cars I have seen they have twin nostrils and they do not go deep (to the floor).

Now I have a similar situation on my car.

So on the originals was there some sort of deflector plate arrangement on the chassis that deflected the air up and through the nostrils.

If so does anyone have a picture to share?

Thanks
Ian

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Ian,
my car has the shallow nostrils, they don't go down to the floor or line up with the fans. However, the chassis has no side panels there so the air coming through the rad exits easily through the wheel wells, I reckon in this case the nostrils don't matter much.
I'm not sure what other benefits might be (aerodynamic?) if the chassis had side panels. If I decided to put side panels on for whatever reason, I would definitely change the nostrils, but as long as I have no side panels, I'll wait. Maybe someone has a view on this?

Can't answer your question, but sure someone will know.

Dave

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,
The MK III had a spoiler fitted in the lower front.
In the photo you can see where the two scoops touched the top of the rubber seal on curved plate.

Attachments

• MKIII FRONT.jpg
    MKIII FRONT.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 906

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Dave

another reason I was looking at a "kick up" panel is to stop the hot radiator air hitting the front of the footwell etc and thus transferring heat into the cabin.

I agree without the side panels a lot of the air will exit through the wheel arches - but again will transfer heat to the side pannels

Ian

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Interesting picture JimmyMac,
Ian, that's a good point, a deflector would certainly help. Looking at my car, if the air that exits the wheel arches was to be diverted through the nostril, I would remove or replace the rather restrictive mesh (small square holes in a plate) I have to allow a free exit flow, so that cooling wasnt compromised.
On long journeys I find myself using A/C to combat the high cabin temperatures, so it is worth thinking about.

Dave

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Many thanks Jimmy Mac
Must have posted the same time yesterday evening

I had thought I saw something like that at LMC 3 or 5 years back but not sure

That would certainly help keep the front of the cabin area cooler by deflecting the heat away

Ian

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,
The original set-up probably worked OK with just one of those old Kenlowe fans as seen in the photo.
However, it will probably be much more effective with two modern pulling fans such as those you chaps are currently using.
I really like the idea.

Back