G50 books

Does anybody have suggestions as to books on servicing/rebuilding the G50 transaxle (and where to purchase)? I've been searching all over the Internet, including this forum, and keep running into the same dead ends. There are several books published in the early '70s for the late '60s/early '70s Porsche transaxles, but I can't find anything on the G50s. Something like a Clymers or even a factory service manual (in English, please) is what I am looking for. Thanks in advance for any input.

Eric

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nice find! :thumbsup:

I hope the transaxle service section is complete enough.. Please do let us know..

There were a couple manuals on the site (see earlier), but they may have been the same one from different sellers. The one I chose provides assembly/disassembly instructions, including which tools are required (even Porsche special tools). Additionally, it has great exploded views and parts lists (descriptions, not part numbers). For somebody used to US customary units and fasteners, having the threads series spec'ed for fasteners I think will be a big help to me. Also, the manual provides torque spec's for everything.

While I haven't tried any procedures yet, they seem to be detailed. In one procedure, it goes so far as to say to heat the transaxle case to 200 deg C before removing the seal (or was it bearing).

The manual covers both C2 and C4. It also covers the entire vehicle, not just the transaxles (includes Tiptronic) if you're interested. The only down side I've found so far is there are places where a page is skipped or missing (say, going from page 34 to page 36).

All in all, I'd give it a thumbs up. I spent $20 USD and to me the exploded views and parts lists alone are worth that (I mean, seriously, when it costs me $15 to fill up my motorcycle these days, what's $20?).

Eric

Hi Eric

Eric Ive been looking for such a manual for a while, without much luck, as I have a big pull down to do on a G50/01 and need a bit of help. I specifically to swap the diff for a new quaife. I have to set the ring and pinion and generally look the box over for any problems. Can you tell me if the manual will help with this job and can you also confirm the exact heading you used. Was it '1972-1981 PORSCH 911 CAR WORKSHOP SERVICE MANUAL' ? I just want to be sure before I download. Thanks.

Fred

Here's what looks pertinent for you from the table of contents:
-Removing and installing differential
-Dismantling and assembling differential
-Adjusting drive set
Skimming through the sections, it appears to me to have the specifics you would need.

As far as the specific manual, this is the exact manual I purchased:
Porsche 911 Carrera 4 And 2 964 Models Series 1989 - 1993 Car Workshop Manual / Repair Manual / Service Manual download - Download Documents / eBooks
I have a G50/05 from a 1992 911/964C2. This manual covers G50/03, G50/04, G50/05 and G50/10 (along with G64/00, G64/01, and Z64/00...the C4 all-wheel-drive models).

If you find the exact manual for your G50/01, be sure to post a link here. I'm sure others are looking just like you. I literally spent hours—probably six or seven at least—trying to find a manual and was just about to give up when I located one.

Even though I can't point you to the exact manual you are looking for, I hope this helps.

Eric

Back