Buell Motorcycle - HD cans Buell

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron,
I read somewhere the HD had bought MV in Europe. Maybe this is the byproduct of that acquisition.

They have owned MV for awhile and are now trying to sell them off.

Looks like all HD is interested in doing is producing basically the same cruisers that they have been producing for the last century. Got to hand it to them because they do that well, but if you're not interested in a cruiser you're out of luck for an American designed/built (yes I know many Buell parts are sourced overseas, as are Harley parts) motorcycle.

Ron Earp

Admin
Yep. Thing is, the tractor motor, when placed into a great chassis, is damn good for the riding that most sport motorcycle enthusiasts do. It is light, great torque good power, you just think it and it goes that direction. Probably be keeping mine for a long while now, not out of any value issues but because I just like things that are different. Since they ain't making'em any more it'll be real different in a few years!

I hope this isn't the last we have heard from Mr Buell.

I like Harleys. The engine is stone age technology, but very likeable in the way it delivers it power once you get all that emissions and noise limiting crap stripped off it.

Last one I had was a warmed over 80 cube Shovel engine in a 1947 Knucklehead rigid frame. If you have ever seen that silly ( but great fun ) Tarnatino\Rodriguez biker movie " Hellride" it was the spitting image of the bike that 'The Gent' rides, except mine had a tele front end rather than a springer and was painted matt black.

hell-ride-2.jpg

Sadly if you talk to the ``Real HD guy's '' The Buell's are not HD's as they have Sporster motors in them ( which are not HD motors ) ( Go figure ) I love My torque monster S3T Hope to have it for a long time to come. Sad so many of these were parted to make Choppers out of ( what a waste IMHO ) as these motor's flat get with the program if you crank on them a little. Love it.

How's a Sportster not a 'real' HD ? - they've been making that pushrod quad cam since it was a flathead ( K something series ) in the 1950's

The best thing you can do with a Harley is either chop it or find a way to cram the motor into a Norton featherbed frame for a Norvin beater.

All you are buying is a ( very likeable ) dinosaur of an engine, the rest of it is junk.

Companies wind down brands for one reason: the brand is perceived to be not pulling it's own weight in the corporate portfolio. It's strictly economics from a divisional management standpoint.

But, what's often forgotten, or at least under considered, is the branding halo effect - the intangible, but material, branding enhancement value to other brands w/in the portfolio brought about by one or two standout brands (which may not be self-supporting however). It's hard to value that premium.

When companies are losing money, Boards of Directors do desparate knee jerk things like just shut down loss-making brands/divisions without considering some of the softer/non-economic effects. The cost of short-term thinking.

Buell will be missed for sure. There's some significant goodwill associated with the Buell name - I'm surprised they're not selling the brand/division to raise capital for the parent company.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Well maybe because you don't see "Buell" tatoos on nekid wimmin!!! HD makes more in a month from licensing fees than the probably have ever made with Buell.

Not unlike Ford selling Aston, looks good in the porfolio but when it costs you money and you don't have any extra, it's "see ya!!!!!!"

Yep I was really sad to read the news that Buell is gone, they made some really cool stuff. Some out of the box thinking with a production bike, never owned one but always would have liked to (too many furrin race bikes hogging up the storage space).

Danny Eslick just won thier only professional roadrace championship this year, even if it took an engine twice the size of the competition to do it. The season was interesting to watch for me as my former race mechanic and good friend wrenched for Danny when he raced Suzukis. I could see in my friend's face the pride knowing he helped advance the kid's career in some small way. A nice slice of life.

Sorry. Totally disagee with the slant of this thread. I own three Harleys and love 'em. I never considered the Buell a real Harley anyway. If I ever found myself in a Harley store, I never even looked at the Buells. I've owned all the brands, Suzuki, Kawa, Honda, and while they are all technically superior by far, I just don't get the same kick from riding them. Its taken me a few years to warm up to the V-rod, but I may end up getting one of them eventually.

Mike

Ron Earp

Admin
Sorry. Totally disagee with the slant of this thread. I own three Harleys and love 'em. I never considered the Buell a real Harley anyway.

Hi Mike,

I don't think there is a slant to the thread. HD decided to axe Buell and I disagree with their position, solely on the grounds that it means the end of Buell motorcycles.

I don't consider a Buell a HD either and I think most Buell owners don't consider it an HD, at least that seems to be the theme on the Buell forums. HD is good at what they do - building cruisers and spreading the HD mantra. Probably a good business decision for them as most of the dealers I visited really didn't want anything to do with Buell motorcycles as they took up space in the shop where other things could be sold.

Ron

I just don't get the same kick from riding them. Its taken me a few years to warm up to the V-rod, but I may end up getting one of them eventually.

Mike

Hi Mike,
To each his own no problem with me on that. Although I would guess many who have posted here don't get why a person would get a "kick" out of riding a HD. Where does the kick come from? Don't get me wrong I enjoy more than I ever thought I would tooling around on a cruiser (although I don't own one). But I don't get why tooling around on a HD is any better than say, a Yamaha cruiser. Funny you should mention it but the VRod is the only HD I would consider owning.

If you really want to cruise in authentic style then buy an old (original) Indian Chief like my grandad rode all through the 1940s. None of the HD mass marketing hype and groupie halloween costumes, just a cool old bike and you.

Attachments

• IMG_9989.jpg
    IMG_9989.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 780

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
A buddy of mine had a HD "Cafe racer" back in the 80's and he could not GIVE it away! Now they are sought after "collecters" items!!!

Not unlike Shelby in the Ford empire back when, a star one minute, yesterdays news another.......................

Ron Earp

Admin
I went to the HD website and you can actually buy Trikes from HD. I also read that HD is the preferred motorcycle of the Shriners.

Anyhow, I did find this bike on the site:

Harley-Davidson USA | Motorcycles | 2009 Motorcycles

Sort of interesting. But I noted a fwe weeks ago in looking at a HD catalog that HD doesn't quote engine hp on any of their specifications, only torque - 74 ft*lbs @ 4000 RPM, which is about 56hp. And that bike is one of the light ones, at 580 lbs. Ow.

I rode a "Fat Boy" some years ago and it was a pleasant experience. Cruising down the highway, it was fine. The first HD I ever rode was a Sportster, many years ago, and man it was a shock from the Japanese bikes I was used to - heavy everything - weight, controls, shifting, etc.

Back