Storing the Clips...

Hi Guys,

My RCR40 (part built) has arrived today (piccies to follow). Whoah, its scary!!! :)

Quick question :

I've removed the doors and front clip to start fitting the plethora of bits (I'm a bit daunted, but what the hell, Rome wasn't built in a day). My question is this, is there a way that I should store the front / rear clip to avoid warping, or can I stand them on end with no worries?

Please accept that I'm a newbie at this, and I WILL ask a lot more stupid questions!

Thanks guys,

Graham.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Gaham -

Congrats on your purchase! The body panels should be fine stored on-end. Building a car can be a bit of a daunting task for anyone so don't worry about asking questions. I'm sure I'll be asking plenty once I actually start building mine!

Regards,
Dave L

If you're not married you could do what I did and store them in the living room. As you can see they take up one hell of a lot of real estate. Wow that's like twice in one day I got to tell people about that one. Good luck with your build. I'm so amazed I got mine running but oh my is it worth every bleeding body part you put into it.

Attachments

• IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 367
Graham,
You will find yourself moving the "parts" many times both on ond off the car. If you are like me you will be doing all or most of it yourself. If you have an engine hoist(mobile) you can use cloth straps(tie downs) to wrap around(side to side) the rear clip at the rear window level to pick it up in a fairly level plane. The front clip is done about the same way. Then it can be maneuvered into place. Same for removing. Makes moving the big pieces a lot easier. You will find that this will have to be done several times before you are done. With the two clips off you can use the hoist to lift the frame at either end to put jack stands in place. Some times the body/frame is too close to the floor to get a jack under it, especially if the other end is up in the air. Add the weight of an engine and all the other bits and it gets kind of heavy.

Bill

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
If you're not married you could do what I did and store them in the living room. As you can see they take up one hell of a lot of real estate. Wow that's like twice in one day I got to tell people about that one. Good luck with your build. I'm so amazed I got mine running but oh my is it worth every bleeding body part you put into it.

And if you are married and want to become unmarried store your clip in the living room!
There should be no problem storing them on end as long as the glass has cured.
Good luck with your build.

I rather liked them in the living room. Unlike the car which was in the garage these parts were very visible and helped keep my interest up to finish the car. Now that I can drive the car storing them in the living room is out. The front clip isn't to bad to move yourself. I installed the rear clip myself the first time it went back on the car, NEVER again!

I just bought some railing and hangers used to hang sliding barn doors. I plan to bolt 2 of them to the ceiling of the garage and use pulley's and maybe an elect winch to hoist the clips up and then slide them into a back corner or at least one side over some equipment like my table saw, etc. Yes with only 8' ceilings I'm sure they will be in the way but at least I can do it by myself and will take up much less of the all important floor space. If you have higher ceilings all the better. Cost will be just a little over $100 US.

Even if I only wanted one of the clips off to work on the car I think this will really help. If I get one installed today I'll post some pictures.

Last edited:
Awesome idea, it becomes art. Where do you store the noses? I just wish I had that kind of floor space.

If your walls look that good how about some pictures of the rest of the garage? You need blue strips on the orange body to make mirror twins.

I just bought some railing and hangers used to hang sliding barn doors. I plan to bolt 2 of them to the ceiling of the garage and use pulley's and maybe an elect winch to hoist the clips up and then slide them into a back corner or at least one side over some equipment like my table saw, etc. Yes with only 8' ceilings I'm sure they will be in the way but at least I can do it by myself and will take up much less of the all important floor space. If you have higher ceilings all the better. Cost will be just a little over $100 US.

There are numerous companies that sell products designed to manage hard tops for various convertibles (Mercedes SL, Miata, Jeep, etc. etc.) It seems that it would be very easy to adapt these products to GT40 use...

Top-Hoist.com -- manual and electric hoist lifts for your convertible hardtop

Hoist-a-Top Jeep Top Hoist Lift by Lange Originals

Hard Top Lift - Hardtop hoist lift for Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, Honda, Ford, Corvette, Cadillac Allante hard top

Just Google "Mercedes Top Hoist" or "Jeep Top Hoist" and you'll be inundated with different, competing designs...

These guys not only carry hoists, but also 'transporters', i.e. glorified carts. These (or something like these) could also come in handy for GT40 guys:

Mercedes Hard Top Hoist

The commercial products are great if you have a 15' ceiling or don't mind having you clip hanging in the middle of the garage. My issue is my 8' ceiling. The idea was that after it's up in the air I'll then slide it along the rail into a space not normally occupied by my head or upper body.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Mike Trusty has a nice roll-around with special holders for his clips he had made. When I was helping with his car it was wonderful to just roll from one side of the shop to the other without asking for help. He has a dream garage shop, epoxy floors, engine Assembly room, paint and wash down room, machine room, and the car assembly room with a car hoist and fantastic lighting. Just off that he has a big set of offices (nothing is in them) and an apartment on top (empty by the way). I would really like to have that same set up here at my house. Maybe we can get him to send pictures of the roll-around.

Graham, sorry for the thread shift.

Speaking of awesome garage's, Mike are you the same Mike Drew that posted the link to the Nor Cal SAAC Yahoo group about the Worlds Most Beautiful Garages. This may be old news to some but every car person should have a look at this site.

Then there is the poor guy that only has the rig pictured below to haul his cars around in. The world can be a cruel place. I am kidding, what a way to travel. Apparently the guy was told his rig was to long to be driven in Calif. I come from place where they allow triple trailer rigs so I don't see a problem. I would love to see some interior pictures.

Jack, sounds to me like Mr. Trusty could add his garage to this site.

World's Most Beautiful GARAGES & Exotics: Insane GARAGE PICTURE THREAD! 50+ Pics! - Luxury4Play.com

Just call me Ibepoor.

Attachments

• rig.jpg
    rig.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 266
  • rig2.jpg
    rig2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
I can see that over time I will learn to waltz around the garage moving the clips around. I have a large double garage (for us space strapped people in the UK). I take my hat off to the guys doing a build in a single garage. Moocho respect to you.

With the car in, and workbench / tool cupboard etc etc, I'm already running out of room. :stunned:

Back