Which colour do I go for? AAAAARGH!!!!!

I'm a million miles away from painting the car, but I'm NOT a million miles away from painting the Chassis.

Because this is going to be a road car, I quite like the idea of painting the chassis the same colour as the car. The previous owner painted it battleship gray, which whilst functional, isn't particularly visually appealing...

So, what colour?

I love the following: -

Blood red - you know, the colour of the Ferrari 250 GTO with white rally stripes
Gulf colours - Overdone these days, but i still love 'em, but this will be a road car...
Porsche GT3 RS Orange - Yes Tom (Eglitom), the colour of yours with black wheels...makes the car look modern and retro at the same time. A stroke of genius from you...
Deep blue (not Ford racing blue) - timeless with white rally stripes.

Or do I paint the chassis semi gloss black....

C'mon guys, chip in...help me out here, It's almost as big a decision as getting married (you all should know that one :) ).

Graham

It really isnt as hard a decision as getting married - whatever colour you paint a GT40 it will still be gorgeous (unless Barbie pink :yuck: ). It is like deciding which millionaire heiress Playmate of the Month should you marry ...........

However for my personal pennyworth, I'd say not red, leave that for the Ferraris. And nothing wrong with Gulf colours even on a road car unless you want to be a bit different.

I would go for black - classic, timeless, elegant, sexy.....

And good luck.

I think you should go to a few car shows and see what you like. I would also check out the new production car colors that are available these days to help you decide on the color that does it for you. It is real tough to pick a color you really like from a picture besides this is not something that you want to get wrong.

Good luck

Agree, Chassis black. Red car with white stripes. That was my choice.
I personally have no issue at all with Red being a Ferrari colour.The Scudaria Fillipinetti cars where made to look like Ferrari's, as they were predominently a Ferrari racing team. Gold wheels, red paint and all that. I like it. I'm not pretending mine is a Ferrari, it's not and never will be, but the colours suite a GT40 well IMHO.

Martin

Agree, Chassis black. Red car with white stripes. That was my choice.
I personally have no issue at all with Red being a Ferrari colour.The Scudaria Fillipinetti cars where made to look like Ferrari's, as they were predominently a Ferrari racing team. Gold wheels, red paint and all that. I like it. I'm not pretending mine is a Ferrari, it's not and never will be, but the colours suite a GT40 well IMHO.

Martin

:thumbsup:

Don't forget the decals from Chris: Raceline Digital Store

Graham, my SL-C will be Mercedes Iridium silver, black wing & diffuser, carbon fiber splitter & sideskirts. Adding a couple of NACA ducts just to be different. Car will have body color fender vents and black mirrors. Much like the Sauber C9.

I wouldn't go the same color body and chassis, it needs some contrast to make the colors pop.

I've always thought one would look good in a semi dark silver, with dark blue stripes...

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Blood red - you know, the colour of the Ferrari 250 GTO with white rally stripes

Or do I paint the chassis semi gloss black....

Graham

You'll find no shortage of opinions here! I personally love the dark blue and orange colours Bill used on his RCR but when I repaint my warm red car, it will be blood red with silver stripes. Why not blue? Because the original builder cleverly painted the chassis RED and it would be way too much work to change that. So, my best advice to you is to keep the chassis neutral—silver or black (my preference is black, but there are reasons why silver might suit your needs better).

Good luck!
Mark

Attachments

• deepredlr.jpg
    deepredlr.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 367
Another vote for Semi Gloss Black Chassis. Classic and tasteful.

Somethings are just right. Others are only right to some people. Ultimately though it is your car, your choice and only you need to like it.

Ok, I think you guys are pretty much on the money for the chassis.

Black it is, for contrast, and its tasteful too. Helps to show off the ally components, engine detailing and hints back to the original pedigree of the car.

Done deal!

Oh, and it buys me LOADS more time to decide on a final colour :laugh:

Graham.

So..... the next thought...

SEMI gloss black, or

FULL gloss black.

(we're getting there. I like the idea of a full gloss. I haven't seen any semi gloss examples, so maybe a couple of piccies guys?)

Cheers,

Graham

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
So..... the next thought...

SEMI gloss black, or

FULL gloss black.

(we're getting there. I like the idea of a full gloss. I haven't seen any semi gloss examples, so maybe a couple of piccies guys?)

Cheers,

Graham

My wife reckons that you should try Chelsea Girl for advice.

Back