Garage flooring advice

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I think that is a good choice. I used rubber tile- the kind with the coin-sized circles on it- in the engine room of one of my boats years ago, medium gray color, and because I had a lot left over I also used it to do the walls in the shower of the boat. We used to drop tools and pieces of the diesel engines on the engine room floor- it held up fine. I found out later that the same kind of rubber flooring is used in ski lodges- you know, where people come in walking in their ski boots etc etc? Holds up admirably. I have the roll-out rubber flooring in my garage and the only thing that's ever damaged it was the lawn mower- I started it up one time and the flooring was sucked up into the blade and got a bit chewed up.

Concrete floor paint works best on dry new concrete floors. My garage floor is fifty years old and the paint wouldn't stick even after we etched it with muriatic acid and nearly killed ourselves in the process (nasty stuff, but great for cleaning out waste treatment systems in boats, let me only say) After the paint on the garage floor peeled I gave up and got the rubber roll-out sheeting, its' been fine ever since.

And if it isn't your garage, I'd limit the expenditures for certain. Wait til you have your own garage and doll THAT one up.

Hi guys

well I've got the flooring in and while a little darker than I'd like its pretty good. I went for rubber flooring in rolls of 10m x 1.2m. The flooring went down ok although as its not my garage I couldn't use adhesive so the joins are more visable than they would otherwise have been.

All in all though I think the flooring was good value at £150 for the lot and I have some good size off cuts left to use as matts. Garage now looks much better than when I first started and no dust in sight now :)

What do you think?

Before:
messy-garage.jpg

After:
finished-garage2.jpg

Trev

Trev, it looks good, I notice the walls are painted white too and that makes a difference. If you are working over the winter, then you might need a heater too!

Yeah I painted the walls first to brighten up the garage as it was looking very dull. I was going to paint the floor a light grey but wanted to avoid any problems with the paint lifting etc so decided to go for the rubber floor.

Day 3 – The Garage: Design, Prepping & Painting

So far the garage has been quite warm. I was expecting it to be much colder in there but its been fine. Ill probably get a heater in January when we normally get the really cold weather

Trev

Good luck with your build
You need to start thinking about shelving/racking. It's amazing how much space a disassembled car (even if you don't have all the parts yet) takes up!

Regards
Andy

Good luck with your build
You need to start thinking about shelving/racking. It's amazing how much space a disassembled car (even if you don't have all the parts yet) takes up!

Regards
Andy

Yeah space is going to be a bit tight in the garage. I am not taking delivery of the body to start with which should help but no doubt a few shelves will be required.

Back