Sad news. Fellow GT40 owner

That is truly sad news. George was one of the good ones. I am sure the details will surface over the next few days. My family will say a quiet prayer for George and his family and I would like to ask that we all take a minute and appreciate the great life we all have and, some days, take for granted.

I knew George and his wife Diane through the Houston Cobra Club. He was a proud war veteran with a youthful, mischievous twinkle in his eye, and he loved to tell jokes and stories at our meetings. His generosity can be summed up by his recent contribution of a Lone Star GT40 replica to Operation Comfort, a charitable organization that helps disabled veterans upon their return from Iraq and Afghanistan.

If anyone is interested in attending his wake and/or funeral, PM me, and I'll forward the details of the arrangements.

Man, that is truly sad. Sounds like a great guy who lived a very full life.

Keep those speeds down. I'm a much slower driver now that I have four kiddos and a great wife.

Hello guys and girls, my name is John Blanchette and I was George's nephew. Let me start by saying thank you for all of your kind words, George will missed by everyone in our family. Again, thank you, I'm sure George is up there telling jokes to the lord as we speak.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
John - Thanks for posting...
Our hearts and prayers go out to you and the families involved...

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I am truly saddened to hear of this terrible accident.

George was always a live wire and fun to talk with on the phone..

My sincerest condolences to both families.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I had a passing acquaintance with George.....I'm a member of the Houston Cobra Club and last spring I attended a monthly HCC meeting in Katy, TX. George showed up with this incredibly built RCR-40, absolutely splendid in it's metallic blue finish. While I admired the car, I never did get a chance to talk to George at that time.

Fast forward a few months to the time when one of our members who has a build thread going right now, "Doug 69" I think, had a chance to buy an RCR-40 kit off eBay and wanted to know if anyone knew of an RCR-40 in the area of San Antonio, TX, that he could inspect. I called George and explained the situation to him and he was quite gracious....offered to not only show the RCR to the potential kit buyer, but take him for a ride and even let him drive the car. Two separate attempts to arrange for contact between Doug and George failed to bring them together (one even at the Operation Comfort event in San Antonio), but I recall with clarity George's excitement when he spoke of his GT-40 replica and his generosity in attempting to provide Doug with a chance to get acquainted with the quality of his replica.

We have lost a true gentleman and a gracious soul.....his wife, Diane, and the rest of his family (including his extended family at the HCC) will be in my thoughts and prayers during this terribly sad time, as will the family of the friend who accompanied George on the ride.

Doug

Darnel A.

Supporter
Very sad incident. This lets you know these are very serious toys. I now plan on a 6 point cage for my car. I see it was a RCR car involved. Fran, did the car have a 6 point cage?

Last edited:
Back