ZFQ new proposed GT40 transaxle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Richard

what oil are you using? Quaife recomend Silkolene SILKTRAN SYN 5 75W-90 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil.

You need a fully synthetic GL5 75W-90W oil, if the oil you are using is to thick you can get hydrolicing, the cross gate springing will feel heavy if using the incorrect grade oil.

regards

Chris
You can email me [email protected]

Hi Richard we are running 5 zfq boxes if you are trying to select gears without engine running it can feel a bit tight on the new boxes once you can drive the car the gearchange should become much easier after a few miles.We run rod gearchanges and the forward to back movement is 32mm.hope this helps regards mick.

Chris you have a PM.

Mick, this is while driving the car, very stiff, sitting still almost impossible. Is the 32mm over to the next gate or end to end travel. Running right hand drive has it's advantages. Making the linkage from the center will be a bit tricky. I know there some center mount rod linkage already out there but I don't think anyone is going to share any pictures, or are they? As you know there isn't a lot of room in the area above the radiator lines. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Hi chris the 32mm is end to end travel.Have you tried disconecting the side movement cable and just try forwards and backwards which would be 2nd and 3rd and see how it feels.regards mick.

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
Making the linkage from the center will be a bit tricky. I know there some center mount rod linkage already out there but I don't think anyone is going to share any pictures, or are they?

Richard -
I could use pictures and specs on center linkage for the SPF MKI. If you come up with this, please help me out.
Thanks,
Steve

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Richard/Steve B,

There are pics of rod shift set up and linkage in the SPF Forum under Upgrades to P2125.

Help you?

Steve P2125

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
Richard/Steve B,

There are pics of rod shift set up and linkage in the SPF Forum under Upgrades to P2125.

Help you?

Steve P2125

Thank you Steve - the pictures are helpful. If you or any other hobbyist\fabricator has specs to follow, that would be much appreciated. Even if general in nature. I anticipate nothing will be forthcoming from SPF.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Steve,

SPF had nothing to do with the rod linkage on Steve C. car....Dennis Olthoff designed and built the system. Talk to him but I understand he is no hurry to do it again..........

I may end up building a rod shifter but not until next winter as this will be the first full summer I'm able to drive the car. I do have a few questions.

I did some more poking around and this is what I found. Way back when I first started driving the car it was really hard to get it in and out of gear with nothing running. I tried it again the other night and it works pretty well. Still stiff but much better than when I started. Running, it doesn't get any better.

I disconnected both cables at the gear box and found the one that goes over the top of the trans and rotates the shaft is a lot stiffer that the other one. That coupled with the fact that there is a centering spring in the base of the shifter and what seems to be a very stiff one in the gear box adds up to a very stiff neutral gate. Is there any way to lube the cable and what should I do about the springs? I keep watching the Shell commercial where the driver goes through the gears in the very old Ferrari, seems so very smooth and easy. OK I might be a wimp but I still need to fix this. Thanks.

Chris,

Since the ZFQ is built by Quaife and they build sequential boxes, any plans for a ZFQ sequential shift? Any recommendations for a sequential shift transaxle in a GT40?

-John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back