Engine building book wanted

I have a 302 with a weeping rear crankshaft oil seal - Any advice on the best how-to book to get? I suspect that I'll be using the book more as time goeas by!

Cheers,

Geoff
just went through this. you have to determine one or two piece seal very different procedures. See thread on oil pan gasket.
i've changed the one piece on a 302 before its simple. Similiar to a wheel or trans seal. just have the right tool to put even pressure on pressing it in. it does require removing the flywheel and everything attached. the two piece requires removal of the pan and the rear main bearing cap. The new seal just slides in arround the crank, piece of cake and does not require removal of the transmission.
I originally looked for a book on seal replacement. Everything i found dealt with installing a seal as part of the rebuild process not changing while in the car. I just read up on the internet and changed it no problems. Now i'm leak free.

Just make sure its the rear seal and not a valve cover or oil pan. they all end up in the same place.
LLoyd

Last edited:
Geoff, you can borrow mine (I also have a Haynes manual). Just pay me P&P to send to you and send back to me when you are finished. Either that or I will be up in the Lakes at the end of June and we could meet for a beer.

Brett

Hi Jon,

Thanks for that - I've just ordered the book from Amazon.

Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for the advice - I'm planning to get into this next week and will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Back