The Shirley Sharrod Affair

Jim, I think you failed to see this back a few pages.

Jim, here is the difference:
- you state that Breitbart asked for an edited tape. He says he asked for the tape. My question to you is, when Breitbart says he didn't edit it, who edited the tape? As he said, the guy from Georgia who supplied the DVD.
- Breitbart made no remark about what you say in point 2, to reverse its meaning.

But if you listen to some of the comments from Savage, and Breitbart (and I heard the tape), the tape did contain racist elements.

At days end, why did the White House throw her under the bus?

Here is someone else admitting the truth. You will have to endure for 10:45 minutes:
http://video.foxnews.com/v/4300500/beck-meet-the-new-radicals

Nick, HSBC has nothing to do with Shirly Sherrod. The FT tries to make the economy sound good, but in the US economy, the housing market stinks, the stock market stinks, no one is hiring, people are still being layed off, car sales had a great month in July but remember the best year the US market consumed over 17 million units. Also, the banks still are not lending money, this is a claim I have heard on both sides of the ocean. I can post these statistics from either the NYT or Automotive News. Do you think the UK economy is doing well, and do you think jobless claims are going down?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10835176
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal...ling-fears-of-second-recession_100404719.html

As I get the daily feed from the FT, I saw nothing in my feeds which support the notion that the US economy has recovered. The FTs rules are that nothing is posted, however the article is titled: Bernacke faces US growth mysteries.

Last edited:
Nick, HSBC has nothing to do with Shirly Sherrod. .

Domtoni,

I never said HSBC has anything to do with Shirley Sherrod, I will try another way to explain my post.

Domtoni you choose to bring the economy into a post on the Shirley Sherrod affair, in support of your argument. Part of your statement regarding the economy in the US was "THERE IS NO RECOVERY".

You may be interested to know the opinion of the financial times yesterday which had the following in a headline on their web site. "US RECOVERY".

So although you feel there is no recovery in the US, the financial times believe there is. It may reassure you that the FT was launched in 9 January 1888 describing itself as the friend of "The Honest Financier and the Respectable Broker and supports free markets.

It is an august publication which has been critisied in the past for supporting Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan's monetarist policies. Gordon Brown, the former labour British Prime Minister, and Barack Obama. In the 2010 UK General Election the paper criticised the Conservative Party, but stated that on balance it would support them.

I always think it is a good sign when a publication is accused by the left of supporting the right and by the right for supporting the left, and is prepared to change its political allegiance not blindly following one. In my opinion that shows it has a balanced view.

Although of course the FT may be wrong I am sure you will join me in praying and hoping that the FT are indeed correct, and that the US economy recovers as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Nick, you are correct, I did say I don't see a recovery in the US market read economy. I see improvements, but don't expect these to be long lasting. I think this is the article you reference:
US recovery performs vital role for HSBC

The point I missed I see the article talking about bank performance rather than US economy performance.

Just on my Facebook page and an old hometown friend, who works for the Broookings Institute, posted this and the results were worse than he thought:
http://www.census.gov/manufacturing/m3/prel/pdf/s-i-o.pdf

I looked at the article and there is a taped interview with their banking correspondent. I think the article talks about the turn around in the banking industry, and the large reduction in bad debts which they had a year ago. The article talks about its total bad debts and the 60% US share of the bank's total loan losses. Considering how bad the US banking sector was 18 months ago, the industry has substantially recovered.

I think the article talks about HSBC's improved performance in the US market rather than a turn in the US economy.

I have read enough scare stories (yes from the right) about what will happen when the Bush tax cuts expire at year's end. I don't want to post these because they don't represent a balanced view, which is what I always try to post. If I get accused from the left, then I am doing my job, and if accused from the right (here I have fallen down !!), then I am doing my job.

Off to the gym, back tomorrow.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Nick,

Its just that his posts seemed a little odder than usual and then he asked my for "the source of my opinions"

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Which question? How about something reciprocal.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Posted by Domtoni

Domtoni, If you want to play childrens games, go to a childrens site!

I do not know what you are trying to prove here, you and everyone else know very well what question. I have asked you 8 times, right from the second post in this thread,

Its a fairly simple question, if you do not have an answer it's OK to say so.

WHY WOULD MR BREITBART ASK THE NAACP FOR A COPY OF A TAPE THAT WE ALL KNOW DOES NOT SHOW MS SHARROD BEING RACIST?

Last edited:
This is my comment to your question, found on Page 7. What it doesn't do is give you the answer you want.

Jim, here is the difference:
- you state that Breitbart asked for an edited tape. He says he asked for the tape. My question to you is, when Breitbart says he didn't edit it, who edited the tape? As he said, the guy from Georgia who supplied the DVD.
- Breitbart made no remark about what you say in point 2, to reverse its meaning.

But if you listen to some of the comments from Savage, and Breitbart (and I heard the tape), the tape did contain racist elements.

At the end of the day, you:
- have not listened to the tapes
- making assumptions based on your research
- preclude that Breitbart intentionally went to the NAACP, got a tape, and then edited to prove his point

Don't think so.

From Wikipedia:
Sherrod asserted that the NAACP was "the reason why this happened. They got into a fight with the Tea Party, and all of this came out as a result of that."[35] She added that "she might not want her job back if it's offered ... because of all the publicity surrounding what happened … how would I be treated once I'm back there? I just don't know ... I would have to be reassured on that."[36]

Reactions from Breitbart:
This was not about Shirley Sherrod. It's about the NAACP. This was about the NAACP attacking the Tea Party and this [the video of Ms. Sherrod] is showing racism at an NAACP event. I did not ask for Shirley Sherrod to be fired. I did not ask for any repercussions for Shirley Sherrod. They were the ones that took the initiative to get rid of her.[45]

Conclusions:
In an interview with CNN reporter Anderson Cooper, Sherrod referred to Breitbart as "vicious" and a "racist" and said that he would "like to get us stuck back in the times of slavery".[52] National Review commentator Jonah Goldberg, who previously called on Breitbart to apologize to Sherrod for releasing the incomplete video,[53] argued that Sherrod should now apologize to Breitbart for her imputing Breitbart to support reinstating slavery.[54] His National Review colleague Ramesh Ponnuru commented similarly.[55] Salon's Joan Walsh said with regard to Sherrod's allegation, "She gets to say that because it’s true, and because from her vantage point it’s especially true."[56] Sherrod said on July 29, 2010 that she was seriously "considering a lawsuit against Andrew Breitbart" and that "she would like [BigGovernment.com] to be shut down."[57]
Ron Coleman, intellectual property attorney, blogger and general counsel for the Media Bloggers Association, said that a case by Sherrod against Breitbart was unlikely to succeed because of the U.S.'s sweeping freedom-of-speech protections that made libel difficult to prove, with Sherrod's needing to demonstrate that Breitbart had "actual malice".[58] James Taranto of The Wall Street Journal commented: "[O]ur guess is that a smart lawyer will advise her against it – and that if she does sue, she will end up settling in exchange for an apology or a more emphatic correction."[59]

Now for the whole Wikipedia story:
Resignation of Shirley Sherrod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jim, here is the difference: you state that Breitbart asked for an edited tape. Posted by Domtoni

You are truly a fool! For the third time, I absolutly positively never said "Breitbart asked for an edited tape" and you know it.

You are either incredably stupid or will say anything to further your cause.

If all you can do is missquote me and others, post meaningless crap when asked straight forward questions, you need to be doing something else.

I know I will take flack from the other right wing radicals but enough is enough. Do you all like to be missquoted?

Last edited:
Jim, I again quote you.

Domtoni

As I see it, there are only two reasons why Breitbart would ask for the tape of a speech that everyone knows was not racist when recorded.

(1) He knew it was a good speech to edit, you know, to reverse it meaning.

(2) He heard that someone else had already edited it to reverse its meaning.

Domtoni, can you think of any other reasons?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Can someone please explain to this person what a rhetorical question is. I'm afraid to say anything myself as he will only miss quote me.

Jim, here is the difference: you state that Breitbart asked for an edited tape. Posted by Domtoni

You are truly a fool! For the third time, I absolutly positively never said "Breitbart asked for an edited tape" and you know it.

(1) He knew it was a good speech to edit, you know, to reverse it meaning.

(2) He heard that someone else had already edited it to reverse its meaning.

What am I missing here?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I have had it with you! Now you take my post out of context,

This jerk left of the part where I set out that these are the only two reasons I can think of as to why Mr Breitbart would ask for the tape.

Domtony, you leave my posts alone!

Do you really think the good people here on this site are that stupid, please go away!

What am I missing here?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Posted by Domtoni

You are missing truth, honesty and integrity!

Last edited:
Jim, you clearly contradicted yourself. I simply put the time line from Pew Research up and you made the first comment.

I have said all I need to in this thread.

Last edited:
Back