Well....here goes all or nuthin.

Pete,
I need some info on that comment on the castor for the rear. I have never heard of this. I will have to look over my build manual, which is a bit older than yours. I will probably be looking for someone experienced to do the alignment.

Bill

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Bill,

The manual I have is dated 2002. I can scan the pages related to it for you and email if you'd like.

Pete

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Here is what I'm up against regarding the oil pan. I'll be modifying the pan to be a rectangle shape in order to make up the capacity lost in the original sump. I should end up about 1/2 above the bottom of the chassis and with about a 9 quart capacity. The pick is going to be fun to alter.

Pete

Attachments

• DSC00180.jpg
    DSC00180.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 800

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Just pokin along. I installed the halfshafts and the steering rack. Setting the rack was a PIA. But thanks to yooz guys i was able to find what I needed. Sometimes it's easier to just hunker down in the shop and watch a movie with a beer instead of working. Does that happen to anyone else?

Attachments

• DSC00194.jpg
    DSC00194.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 727
  • DSC00191.jpg
    DSC00191.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 812
  • DSC00189.jpg
    DSC00189.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 679
HI Pete.
I'm a Pete too but most call me woody, I also have a DRB mine is # 89
Looks like we got a few things in common cause Im just sittin here readin your thread with a beer :laugh: instead of workin in the garage.
Your car looks good bud, I'm likin that tranny:thumbsup:

Hi Pete
I looked into the dimentions you asked about. Not sure how to put a photo into a PM yet. Need to spend some more time here.
Looking straight down on the steering rack its a straight line through the tie-rod end right through the rack center line to the opposite tie rod end.
From the DRB rack mount forward to the center line of the rack is 1 1/4"
1.256" to be exact.

Attachments

• IMG_2186.jpg
    IMG_2186.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 519
Looking from the side of the car the lower A-arm has two mounting points on the chassis, From the back face of the front mount it is 7/16" back to the center line of the rack as in the last photo. I hope this helps and has answered you question.
Woody.

Attachments

• IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 666
Having previously built a Lotus 7 replica, whilst knowing bugger all about suspension layouts (hey, it looked good), I discovered the wonders of bump steer. The car would change lanes when you changed gear!.

With the 40, I mounted the rack on a couple of 'ramps', allowing me to move the rack to establish the ideal, no bump steer, position.

Astonished to find that the sweet spot had to be accurate to the millimetre. Move up or down the ramp 1 MILLIMETRE and bump steer intruded.

Accurate to the point where the outer end of a 1 metre bar bolted to the hub did not move forward or backward (well, not visible) over the full travel of the front suspension.

Using the same measuring technique, I have the rear introducing toe in in bump - but not too sure I have enough. Probably 1/2 inch at the end of the metre bar. Would appreciate comments.

Last edited:

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Sometimes it's good to see what all the fuss is about....I needed to make clearance around the blower anyway. I'll clean up the opening later.

Attachments

• DSC00199.jpg
    DSC00199.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 753
  • DSC00200.jpg
    DSC00200.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 636
  • DSC00201.jpg
    DSC00201.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 841
Now I see what you mean about tight :stunned: Good to see you progresing though.
Keep up the good work:thumbsup:

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
So after goofing around with a bunch of other things on my car Steve26 lit a fire under my ass to get on with building the pipes. Makes sense since there so little room to spare with this 4.6 motor. This is the first stab as I'm sure I'll be making adjustments to the model. I can see where I'll probably need to modify the cross member over the tranny to allow moving the pipes lower away from the body.

Pete

Attachments

• HEADER CONCEPT.jpg
    HEADER CONCEPT.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 556

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If you're not going to do a crossover design and extremely limited on space - you may want to entertain the possibility of a Flat Header Collector design such as this one from Exhaust Components - SPD Home Page B ;

Flat.jpeg

Attachments

• Flat.jpeg
    Flat.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 468

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Randy,
SPD is supplying the flanges for me. I'll need to put the body back on to see what my envelope is. I think I'll be okay...we'll see. I just don't want to have butter body from the heat.

Pete

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Compared to what you are doing, our build is easy....nice work, any idea of when she would move and drive and let you check things out?

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jim,
Mine is just full of complications. I just sorted out the dry sump setup, now working the exhaust. Next the wiring to turn it over. Maybe I'll have her idling before mid year next........let's face it....I don't know. I think I'll get a beer.....:cry:

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
So the headers are modeled up. They are crossover but not equal length. They are 1.75 OD. I'll get the rear clip on and make sure there are no body issues. Does anybody happen to have a digital MKI body?

Pete

Attachments

• FRONT COMPLETE.jpg
    FRONT COMPLETE.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 547
  • REAR COMPLETE.jpg
    REAR COMPLETE.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 534
  • SIDE COMPLETE.jpg
    SIDE COMPLETE.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 551
Pete, a couple of pics of a DRB GT40 for sale here with cross-overs on a non-turbo 4.6 quad cam engine. The exhaust fits inside the roll-bar brace also.

Attachments

• 8453385.jpg
    8453385.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 530
  • 8453390.jpg
    8453390.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 724

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Dalton,

Pretty compact those pipes. The major difference with my setup and the stock DRB setup is I'm running the Ricardo tranny. That causes the cross member over the tranny to be a little higher thus pushing the pipes closer to the body. I fully expect to do some adjusting. These pictures sure help though.

Pete

Pete,
You can see from Dalton's post that the roll cage brace is way out there on the frame member to get all inside. Compare the placement with mine where the exhaust sticks a little farther away from the motor.

P1010019-1.jpg

You might want to consider the changing of the valleys around the engine bay to shelves like mine for a little more room. You might even find some room to put some things on it!!
gt4021Small.jpg

P1010105-1.jpg

Bill

Back