RCR's new car..962

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
After more than a year of looking at all the available choices for a sublime kit car I finally made a decision. One that Fran already had in the works, but not officially out yet. A Porsche 956/962 replica without the 1 million dollar (insert Dr. Evil pinky now) price tag. Based off the similar SL-C chassis widened somewhat to accomodate the 962's wider body, plus overall height is shortened. Per usual SL-C specs you can customize just about anything engine/transaxle wise etc.

Fran just started the build on this, so as he progresses pics will be posted for sure.

I plan on doing much like the Dauer 962 putting together a two tone paint scheme street legal one, though prob bare bones interior. More than likely black and silver.

Hello Dusty,
Welcome to the club. 962, nice car with great proportions! Is Fran offering the long or short tail version? Will you be using Porsche power? Really looking forward to see your toy progress, thanks for sharing.

Mesa
(PM also sent to you)

Soooooooo wider and shorter than an SLC? DO WANT!

Mmmm, 962 or 917. Mmmmmm, choices choices. Must finish building SLC first through.....

mmm love that 962 Dauer...

746648.jpg

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
Hey guys,

I went the traitor route...Fran found a used Mercedes SL600 motor, plus a spare with a hole in the block for parts. I looked at Porsche motors, Ferrari stuff like the 40v 355/360 motors. He's going to build headers for it with side port exhaust like your SLCs.

Fran quoted me 140-160,000 USD for an orig 962 motor w/o turbos.
I'm still not 100% sure on rear wings available for it. I think it will be detached style with open tail.

Hey guys,

I went the traitor route...Fran found a used Mercedes SL600 motor, plus a spare with a hole in the block for parts. I looked at Porsche motors, Ferrari stuff like the 40v 355/360 motors. He's going to build headers for it with side port exhaust like your SLCs.

Fran quoted me 140-160,000 USD for an orig 962 motor w/o turbos.
I'm still not 100% sure on rear wings available for it. I think it will be detached style with open tail.

I am just curious, why did you choose a German V12 opposed to a Domestic V8?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Dusty knows that the 962 has its limitations and I am selling it to him as a track kit...if he chooses to attempt to make it street legal it will be the dogs dangly bits cool......

Its similar in price to the SL-C but each one will be bespoke and that carries a financial penalty ...although all RCR cars are priced at a pretty similar level, so as not to make cost the driving factor of ones model being a sales success over another..

Last edited:

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
I love the LSx motors in my Vettes, but putting a vette motor in a porsche...I couldn't do that. Fran hooked me up with that V12 or 3500 dollars. With twin turbos still only a 10k priced motor. If I couldn't get a porsche motor for a decent price why not an exotic Merc motor. A 6L V12 with tons of torque.

This car will spend most of it's life on the track or car shows.

Dusty knows that the 962 has its limitations and I am selling it to him as a track kit...if he chooses to attempt to make it street legal it will be the dogs dangly bits cool......

Its similar in price to the SL-C but each one will be bespoke and that carries a financial penalty ...although all RCR cars are priced at a pretty similar level, so as not to make cost the driving factor of ones model being a sales success over another..

Available in Alex-proof kit format in ~1-1.5yrs..........yesssssssssssss? :stunned:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Merc engines are pretty easy to find for 3-5k...Dustin will be researching his own turbos...but we will probably be making the sexy V12 turbo headers for him...

He may stay NA for a while...but who knows how this cool car project will evolve....

Dusty knows that the 962 has its limitations and I am selling it to him as a track kit...if he chooses to attempt to make it street legal it will be the dogs dangly bits cool.....
Since the 962 is a track machine are you referring to its minimal ground clearance and poor turning radius?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Ground clearance is the main issue...although an added lift kit will set that straight for most situations....turning radius wil not be so much of a concern.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Might I suggest the following. Build it out as a open track car first. NOT a wheel to wheel race car, but a open track toy. You will find that you can spend quite a lot less money and still get it running.

Once you have it on track you can do the tuning and suspension setup and work out all of the grimlins. All of this more than likely will take a couple of years anyway. Then do a few years as a track car and enjoy that aspect of the project. These cars are really race cars anyway and most of the money spent to track it will convert to a streetcar. You can even hold off on the paint for a while. They look just fine in gelcoat on the track and racecars are always white until they have sponsorship anyway. Your car wil fit right in while you are developing it at the track and learning how to drive it.

Once you have gotten the track bug out of you you can refit as a street car. This is my plan for my SLC.

Lastly..........put a Porsche in it and take it to a Porsche club track day and YOU TOO will be a supermodel. Those guys will be all over it.

Ground clearance is the main issue...although an added lift kit will set that straight for most situations....turning radius wil not be so much of a concern.

I see. Akin to the SL-C, a race car that can be altered for street use.

Since the basic components are similar, how will the 962 differ from the SL-C (aside from aesthetics & 962 being more bespoke costly)?

Back