RCR's new car..962

Take a look on the internet a little and you will find glass companies that specialize in making custom car glass and windshields. I can't imagine that they would be selling all those windshields, on the internet, without them being DOT certified. In any case, a quick search and phone call should give you an idea if it can be done or not as well as a rough $ estimate.

I did this recently so that's how I know about these places, but my windscreen, while made out of glass, did not need to meet DOT requirements.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
All my cars have dot screens and I have tooling for everyone of them ...so I know whats involved but for really small volume sales its not worth the trouble of going DOT....I could facilitate the whole process if more than Dusty step up..but it would need to be a minimum of 5 cars really...

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
This is an issue for sure. Two thoughts. Either find an inspection place that is lenient like a Porsche dealership who sells high end cars and understands completely, wink. Or Maybe we can register this as an older porsche from the 70s to avoid DOT and emissions rules. That was the impressions I got with FFR GTM, people claiming they were 1960s GT40s since the GTM looks close enough. If you can license a GTM i sure as heck bet you can get plates for these beauties.

I need to research how Dauer passed.

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Fran, do your best to never post progress, show pictures, or otherwise generate enthusiasm publicly for this car. Not being able to order one now (wish I had the dough) is killing me, and you don't want the stress of knowing that I'm on the other side of the computer thinking of every way I could say yes without my wife knowing....which would ultimately lead to divorse and her probably getting that car, and the GT MKIV....I don't think she'd even leave me with the little Abarth. I really do love her, so if you don't want that on your hands....you know you shouldn't continue to tempt me like this. DAMN IT!

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
LOL....thanks Brent..
I promise I wont post pictures but I bet Dusty will.....

You could say you swapped it for the Abarth...:evilgrin:

I am using an World Products LS7 but I started out buying a Ferrari 360 engine and gearbox for my car. Sorry fellas but there is no better sound than a V12, no matter how many organ pipes you graft onto the back :) Listening to the Pagani rip around Nurburg says it all. V12s rule when it comes to sweet sounds.

Seems a VW V12 or is it a W12 would have allowed to 'stick' a Porsche badge on it...shades of my first 'sports' car. A VW914 :).

After owning some Ferrari cars in 8's and 12's I have come to like them all and can't pick a favorite one!!! Each one is so unique...

Second the question on the cockpit, need enough room for 6'5 body :stunned: and need to know if full race (no road crap) version is going to be avail.. :heart: We still have the 4 car plan from you Fran but need to pay off Semi and race garage first. :veryangry:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Big wheels...smallish cockpit...

The windscreens have a DOT marking on them , making it very easy for the local law to check legality...

Full track version will be available as the race only parts we have developed for the SL-C will carry over...

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Any thoughts on a BMW engine? I have an 850 with a V-12. The horsepower isn't all that great but the BMW engine in the Mclaren F1 isn't too shabby. I also have an M6 with a 500HP high-rev V-10. Not a cheap alternative, but neither is an original-type Porsche engine.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Good engine with quite a bit of aftermarket support...

I love the V10 but I would not fancy tackling the newer BMW electronics...unless a Motec or something with similar capability was used to control it.

Seems to me (as I don't have a dog in this race) that this would be an ideal platform for the twin turbo lexus first seen in the very first SL-C. After all, a twin turbo v8 did get as far as mockup in the day.....

Yours argument regarding sounds is purely subjective. Personally, I love the sound of Zonda's and other exotic engines but i know a lot of people that prefer the growl of the Domestic cross plane crank V8 with it's silly firing order and use of Cams reserved for lawnmowers.

The 962 sounds wonderful - it's a turbo Flat-6, oh and it's a Porsche....

Purely subjective for sure.
I´m tired of listening to all this F and P cars here in germany. Not many V8´s around here. The sound of an high RPM V8 is awsome and give´s me goosebumps every time i hear it.(this sounds like a nicely curved and carved girl) The sound of the Zonda is just to high pitched and ugly(compared to the V8 this is the bony skinny new age fashion model).

as said purely subjective

TOM

Keith

Maybe Tom but do you remember that fairly useless Superstar V8 silhouette series in Germany? I think they were all running generic GM V8's and it just sounded, well, weird in a Jaguar, Audi or Mercedes.. don't you think? The series didn't last very long either..:shifty:

Yes my statement was subjective, it could not have been anything else!
Seems to me (some of) the Euro guys find the big booming V8 sound uh, 'Exotic'. Yet (some of) us US based guys find the V12 makes the magic sounds. Seems a likely reason might be is 'we' are stuck with V8s everywhere and don't often get to hear a finely tuned V12.

But then maybe I'm just over generalizing. Ahh ... but the Tullius V12 Jaguar GTP car at Laguna..... music to MY ears.

Keith

Well, we all surely agree that whatever noise it makes you get far better bang for the buck with good old Yankee iron or even aloooooooooooooooominum. :)

I used to like the sound of my small block Chevy at 8,000 rpm but only until I heard the Ford 289 crossover exhaust setup.!:heart:

I think they all have their respective places.

For instance...

I can't stand the sound of a Harley because I know what bastardizing to the firing order has been done to acheive that sound, and love the sound of a finely tuned sport bike. (I live on a twisty back country road and get to hear both every day ALL summer long. :) )

On the other hand, I just think it was wrong to see an "Indy" style car with a ground pounding V8 thunder coming from it!

NASCAR would sound pretty funny if the cars all sounded like F1 cars.

Prototypes, like we have been discussing here, to me anyway, fall somewhere in between, and I really love the variety that has always been found in this type of vehicle. Big displacement V8? YES, it works. Small displacement little whiney engine? Yeah, that works too.

To each his own, and in my mind this is the perfect platform for a wide variety of power options.

Back