Supreme Court Justice Paid Off

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Clarence Thomas failed to report wife's income, watchdog says

Virginia Thomas earned over $680,000 from conservative think tank the Heritage Foundation over five years, a group says. But Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas did not include it on financial disclosure forms.

<!-- Module ends: article-header--><!-- Area starts: article-first-block --><!-- Module starts: article-byline (ArticleByline) -->January 22, 2011|By Kim Geiger, Washington Bureau<!-- Module ends: article-byline-->
<!-- Module starts: a-body-first-para (ArticleText) -->Reporting from Washington — Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas failed to report his wife's income from a conservative think tank on financial disclosure forms for at least five years, the watchdog group Common Cause said Friday.
Between 2003 and 2007, Virginia Thomas, a longtime conservative activist, earned $686,589 from the Heritage Foundation, according to a Common Cause review of the foundation's IRS records. Thomas failed to note the income in his Supreme Court financial disclosure forms for those years, instead checking a box labeled "none" where "spousal noninvestment income" would be disclosed.

Guys,

I have waited, hopeful that someone would question this activity. As of yet it has gone unnoticed. I feel this is incredably important, so I will bring it up.

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas's wife is paid over $680,000 by the concervatine think tank Heritage Foundation between 2003-2007 and during that time Mr Thomas checked "NONE" in the Supreme Court financial disclosure forms under "spousal noninvestment income".

This is an outrage on several levels.

(1) Why would the Heritage Foundation pay her over $100,000 per year?
(2) Do we really allow political groups to pay hundreds of thousands of $ to the familys of Supreme Court Justice's.
(3) Why would Mr Thomas check "NONE", he must have known about this income?

I am ourtaged about this!!!
<!-- Module ends: a-body-first-para-->

<!-- Area ends: article-first-block-->

Clarence Thomas failed to report wife's income, watchdog says

Virginia Thomas earned over $680,000 from conservative think tank the Heritage Foundation over five years, a group says. But Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas did not include it on financial disclosure forms.

<!-- Module ends: article-header--><!-- Area starts: article-first-block --><!-- Module starts: article-byline (ArticleByline) -->January 22, 2011|By Kim Geiger, Washington Bureau<!-- Module ends: article-byline-->
<!-- Module starts: a-body-first-para (ArticleText) -->Reporting from Washington — Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas failed to report his wife's income from a conservative think tank on financial disclosure forms for at least five years, the watchdog group Common Cause said Friday.
Between 2003 and 2007, Virginia Thomas, a longtime conservative activist, earned $686,589 from the Heritage Foundation, according to a Common Cause review of the foundation's IRS records. Thomas failed to note the income in his Supreme Court financial disclosure forms for those years, instead checking a box labeled "none" where "spousal noninvestment income" would be disclosed.

Guys,

I have waited, hopeful that someone would question this activity. As of yet it has gone unnoticed. I feel this is incredably important, so I will bring it up.

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas's wife is paid over $680,000 by the concervatine think tank Heritage Foundation between 2003-2007 and during that time Mr Thomas checked "NONE" in the Supreme Court financial disclosure forms under "spousal noninvestment income".

This is an outrage on several levels.

(1) Why would the Heritage Foundation pay her over $100,000 per year?
(2) Do we really allow political groups to pay hundreds of thousands of $ to the familys of Supreme Court Justice's.
(3) Why would Mr Thomas check "NONE", he must have known about this income?

I am ourtaged about this!!!
<!-- Module ends: a-body-first-para-->

<!-- Area ends: article-first-block-->

Geeez Jim, most of Obama's appointees had tax problems, that didn't outrage you then!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Al,

First I'm going to need some proof that "most of Obamas appointees had tax problems"

But if that is so then it troubles me greatly.

But nothing like A Supreme Court Justice being paid off and than lying about it.

Al truthfully, if for example a liberal Justice was found taking hundreds of thousands of dollars from the ACLU and lyed about it, you would be OK with that? You would defend that?

You equate tax return "problems" with Supreme Court Justices being paid off? Then lying about it?

Al you need to give some serious though to priorities!

Last edited:
Al,

First I'm going to need some proof that "most of Obamas appointees had tax problems"

But if that is so then it troubles me greatly.

But nothing like A Supreme Court Justice being paid off and than lying about it.

Al truthfully, if for example a liberal Justice was found taking hundreds of thousands of dollars from the ACLU and lyed about it, you would be OK with that? You would defend that?

You equate tax return "problems" with Supreme Court Justices being paid off? Then lying about it?

Al you need to give some serious though to priorities!

Jim, does Geitner ring a bell? Thomas wasn't paided off for anything, he didn't include his wife's income from 2003 to 2007. You're fabricating, payoff??????

New Mexico Democratic Governor Bill Richardson, nominated for Commerce Department Secretary. He withdrew on January 4 after it emerged that he was the subject of a Grand Jury investigation for influence peddling, due to his awarding of a $1.5 million state contract to political contributors.

Former South Dakota Democratic Senator Tom Daschle, nominated for Health and Human Services Secretary. He withdrew on February 3, admitting that he had failed to pay more than $100,000 in taxes on a car and driver provided by a friend and on consulting fees after he left the Senate.

Nancy Killefer, former Assistant Secretary for Management and Chief Financial Officer of the Treasury Department during the Clinton administration, nominated for Deputy Director at the Office of Management and Budget and Chief Performance Officer. Obama said in announcing her nomination, "We can no longer afford to sustain the old ways when we know there are new and more efficient ways of getting the job done." Killefer withdrew on February 3 because of a lien against her home for failure to pay unemployment tax for household help. Ironic that she can afford household help - something most of us Americans can't - and then doesn't pay the taxes her party trumpets. Certainly not anyone you want in charge of managing the public's money.

Hilda Solis, nominated for Labor Secretary, was confirmed on February 11 even though her husband had liens against his business going back 16 years. He paid the full $6,400 owed a day before her confirmation hearing. Wouldn't that be nice if the average American could pretend to have nothing to do with their spouse's finances?

Timothy Geithner, nominated and confirmed on February 24 for Treasury Secretary. Geithner failed to pay $34,000 in self-employment taxes while he worked at the International Monetary Fund from 2001 to 2004. Yet he was still confirmed because Democrats said his position was too important to be left unfilled any longer.

Former Washington Democratic Governor Gary Locke. Nominated on March 5, for Secretary of Commerce after Bill Richardson and Judd Gregg withdrew. So far he appears to be sailing through to confirmation, but Frontpage Mag points out he was involved in Chinagate with former Clinton Commerce employee John Huang. Huang wrote a $1,000 check to Locke and co-sponsored fundraising events that netted $30,000 in 1996 alone.

Former Dallas Democratic Mayor Ron Kirk, nominated for Trade Representative, failed to pay $10,000 in back taxes for speaking fees over three years. He faced Senate questioning on March 9 over it, but is expected to win confirmation. $2,600 of the back taxes was due to deducting $17,382 worth of basketball tickets; he was unable to provide proof of business purposes for those tickets. Most Americans can't afford $17,382 in baseball tickets, much less have a business to deduct the cost from. Kirk also took overly large deductions for a used TV he gave to charity, and inflated accounting and tax preparation fees. He has agreed to pay $9,975 in back taxes from 2005-2007.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Gee Al,

You really avoid the issue. You have given us 7 appointees who have had tax "issues".

Google shows Obama having 126 appointees that have been confirmed and 8 still to be confirmed. You only need another 50 or so examples to make it most!

Al why don't you stick to the issue we are discussing.

Would you be defending a Liberal Justice accepting $650,000+ from the ACLU much less forgetting to tell us about it, is that OK? Would you defend that?

Last edited:
What I find disturbing is that the "Republicans" on here don't condemn it immediately. What we get is the standard blurb of "Your party is worse than my party" etc etc...

It's actually irrelevant who cheats, Republican, Democrat or Monster Raving Loony party... Theft and deceit is exactly that, theft and deceit.

It's not a huge step for the "Republicans" on here to say exactly that. At least condemn the action before getting into a pissing contest for fuck's sake...

Graham H... News at Ten...Drunk...

All I can say is this ... what took so long. Who really thinks that these people are above that. Heck our legal system as great as it is compared to the rest of the world is also that corrupt. Is it wrong HE!! YES; am I surprised HE!! NO!!!

Graham,

For what its worth, I agree with you. I'm not a "republican" in case that's what you think. They've mismanaged the government nearly as badly the the dems.

What I do find funny, though, is the feigned outrage that there is corruption in government. Are you kidding me?

And that Jim is "outraged" whenever he exposes dirty laundry from the other side of the isle is disingenuous at best. I'm sorry, but I can't recall any serious expose reported by Jim regarding any of the democrats in power.

Sure, they're all pure as the wind-driven snow.

In my mind, such one-sided posts border on comedic, so I decided to add some levity of my own. I'm beyond getting outraged by much of anything anymore. Not worth the exasperation, in my opinion.

I don't expect Jim to care any more about my posts, than I do his, but if he wants to add any credence to his posts, he needs to be a little more "fair and ballanced."

Jim, if you need a little fodder, you could start with Barney Frank. I believe his history is beyond reproach.

What I find disturbing is that the "Republicans" on here don't condemn it immediately. What we get is the standard blurb of "Your party is worse than my party" etc etc...

It's actually irrelevant who cheats, Republican, Democrat or Monster Raving Loony party... Theft and deceit is exactly that, theft and deceit.

It's not a huge step for the "Republicans" on here to say exactly that. At least condemn the action before getting into a pissing contest for fuck's sake...

Graham H... News at Ten...Drunk...

:thumbsup:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Graham,

For what its worth, I agree with you. I'm not a "republican" in case that's what you think. They've mismanaged the government nearly as badly the the dems.

Really, Ron? Really????

Maybe you haven't been tuned in to this channel much.....looks to me like "Bee-OH" will be very lucky to be able to repair the fiscal damage the Repubs did before the alarmists in the radical right manage to convince the undecided to put the Repubs back into the White House in a future election.

Of course, if you're one of that "radical right" group, you may have a different opinion, but isn't that the way it's always been? The "haves" want to keep (AKA "conserve", the root of the word "conservative") what they have at all costs, and because they "have", they can afford to pay for the lobbyists who wield the most power in the backrooms in D.C.

Don't believe me? Befriend a few of the "have-nots".....the painful truth will be obvious to all except those who refuse to see it---"There are none so blind as those who will not see".

Cheers from Doug!!

Really, Ron? Really????

Maybe you haven't been tuned in to this channel much.....looks to me like "Bee-OH" will be very lucky to be able to repair the fiscal damage the Repubs did before the alarmists in the radical right manage to convince the undecided to put the Repubs back into the White House in a future election.

Of course, if you're one of that "radical right" group, you may have a different opinion, but isn't that the way it's always been? The "haves" want to keep (AKA "conserve", the root of the word "conservative") what they have at all costs, and because they "have", they can afford to pay for the lobbyists who wield the most power in the backrooms in D.C.

Don't believe me? Befriend a few of the "have-nots".....the painful truth will be obvious to all except those who refuse to see it---"There are none so blind as those who will not see".

Cheers from Doug!!

I don't belong to any groups, right, left or in between. I think for myself (Unlike several of you).

I grew up a have not, lived in south-central LA until just before highschool. Put myself through college, and was the first in my family to graduate.

If you think that the housing bubble and current economic conditions are primarily a problem caused by the right...then pull your head out of the sand and take a look at the housing policies set by the Clinton Admin.

But hey, feel free to keep believing what you choose...it's America, just don't forget to drink the coolaid.

BTW...for most of us "BEE-OH" stands for body odor.

I suppose you can call ol' one-and-done that if you please...though I thought it a bit disrespectful myself.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
BTW...for most of us "BEE-OH" stands for body odor.

I see you're familiar with my work :laugh: !

Ya gotta say it so you sound like a fog-horn, just like the deodorant commercial from the 1960's :idea: .

Actually, compared to the goofballs the conservatives have had in the white-house lately, I'm definitely "more" happy with Bee-OH, but just like any of us he has his good side and his bad side. It's just that for me the "bad" side of he conservatives was much "badder" than Bee-OH's (and not in that Huey Lewis and the News "bad" way :shocked: ).

I've said this before, too....we really need a viable 3rd party....but, then, I realized upon further reflection that I was mistaken. We don't really need ANY parties, we have the technology to conduct elections without needing the parties or the "electoral college". Let the candidate with the most votes win, pure and simple. IMHO, we don't really even need to have the President and the Vice President be from the same party (if we really MUST continue to have such outdated organizations)...things do seem to be moving a bit better, if not faster, now that the congressional branches are controlled by differing "parties". Now, that would be a REAL democracy, but being a "republic" maybe we are less interested in that than our rhetoric indicates?

Cheers from Doug!!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
RonR, posts a lot of things,

Earlier he posted that he grew up as a poor black child! You can not believe anything this clown says!

Just like Al, he does not condemn this activity only says the Democrats do it too, well bullshit, we are talking about the Supreme Court, the most important nine people in the world.

Let's not make excuses for this type of activity.

But then again Al and RonR never condemned the gun talk of the tea party and Palin ether!

What great un-Americans!

Last edited:

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
I grew up a have not, lived in south-central LA until just before highschool. Put myself through college, and was the first in my family to graduate.

But hey, feel free to keep believing what you choose...it's America, just don't forget to drink the coolaid.

Me, too (well, not the south-central LA part...try being the offspring of a military enlisted rank lifer if you want to be poor). Same as you, I put myself through college and am still the ONLY one in my family to have graduated from college, and forget about looking down the family tree for anyone with a graduate degree.

You know, though, somehow I have managed to maintain the memory of what it felt like to be poor. I've never forgotten how it felt to have to work my way through college at who knows how many low paying jobs. In fact, during my career in education, I was frequently asked to be the Master of Ceremony at the campus festivals...I refused, chosing instead to work running the dishwasher in the cafeteria. That is how I worked my way through a bachelor's degree....and I have never wanted to forget that, so I honored those who have to work HARD for what they have by doing the job nobody else wanted to do.

Yep, I've been around for a while, through quite a few swings of the political pendulum...been watching as the conservatives make their best efforts to conserve what they have, watched as the liberals attempted to help those without achieve a bit of relief from the indignities of financial repression foisted upon them by the unyieldingly "none so blind".

While I really respect the achievements of all those who manage to work their way into the Supreme Court, to find that one of them has flaunted the very laws he swore to uphold causes my blood pressure to spike.

SHAME ON YOU, Clarence Tomas, and SHAME ON YOU to all who would defend his actions in this matter.

Oh, yeah, Ron....I think if you check it out, you'll find out it's "Kool-Aid":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid

Cheers to those public officials who have enough integrity to deal honestly with the American public, from Doug!!!

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
But then again Al and RonR never condemned the gun talk of the tea party and Palin ether!

What great un-Americans!

Seems to me that might make them "G-un Americans", eh, Jim :laugh: ?

Cheers from Doug!!

Back