KVA on eBay

Thats Ken Attwells original KVA and its been spoiled by some fool painting it black and making a big thing of it being a special car. Well it was special because it was the car that started the whole replica 40 industry. Pity the club didnt buy it to preserve it, not an easy thing for a club to do of course but a pity all the same. Just my thoughts on it. Kev

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Kev,

If I had the cash I would have bought it myself to preserve it, and I expect a few others feel the same.

As you say, buying the club/any other collective could prove tricky regarding who looks after it etc.

Maybe it should be held in a museum? I guess in general most of them would only be interested in originals however, as you say, this car has a special place in motoring history as the first replica '40.

Just my thoughts too.

Max

I have a KVA and am aware that Ken was given permission to use the molds. However this one does not look like it came from the original GT40 molds!

John

Hi John,
It wasnt so much permission to use the moulds but permission to mould the mk3 Ford museum car in south Wales. Ken was involved in looking after that car, I forget its number now but it was silver for a long time and last time I saw it, white. The replica in question even had slim, original shape A pillars. The ones Ken produced for sale had thicker ones. All the grp copies produced since copied this. Kev

it seems like a nice car but the rear suspension has me baffled it realy looks like a mod vw unit, i know its vw tailing arms on the car and a upside down vw trans, what do you guys think?

cabrio

Yes vw transmission and trailing arm suspension initialy. Ken thought low powered engines, Ford V6 or 4 cyl CVH like his would be fine with vw boxes. He provided his own trailing arms for use with Granada hub carriers when kit production started. Lots of us bought GTD subframes and suspension to improve things allowing V8 engines to be used. I wouldnt alter anything on Kens original though. When I saw that car in its original red back in 1982 it blew me away. Compared to what was available back then it was awesome and I had to have one. Only mk3s were available but if the choice was mk3 or nothing it was a no brainer. My order was changed to mk1 when he started producing them later. Kev

Back