P1001

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Just think, Andrew, in a few years you will have your very own uncivilized, noisy, hot, thirsty, rough-riding vintage machine to bang around in.....good on ya. ;)

Hi Jim, thanks, that's the point of the project. I don't expect it'll be usable on the road, with no air con, vintage suspension, crossply Dunlops etc. I've just got hold of original, period, springs, antiroll bar and other suspension components from an original. There's not much I need now to be honest, but if anyone out there has some original, period, parts they wish to sell, then please call +44(0)7759751320. No more scammers though, I can spot them a mile now. It'll be cash on collection only and proved provernance. Cheers.. Andrew P.S. Some photos of the tub undergoing reconstruction soon.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Andrew, I wish I had something to donate. If you need anything from over here, let me know. Actually, I just thought of something. PM me, why don't you....I might have something you could use.

Hello again.. just to put the record straight, as there might have been some misunderstanding. I don't have the remains of P1001s tub, only the fibreglass bodywork. So my car does not have 1001s VIN or title. It has a genuine title from a P/10**, but as it would create such a stir, I won't reveal it's identity en mass. As I said previously it's a mongrel of original parts from lots of different GT40s. Hope this clarify's things.. Andrew

Jim.. it was great to speak with you over the phone yesterday and thank you for the offer of the SW pump bits & pieces. Your Safir GT40 sounds like a great car. Regards.. Andrew

Andrew, of all the projects I've read on this forum yours is by far the most fascinating. It will be very interesting to see how the car will be registered by the authorities. Will they consider it a new car or old given the parts being used? Please keep the posts and photos coming and continued good luck.

Hi Jimmy, the fact is my chassis has already got a proper GT40 title, dated 1966, with traceable history back to when it was imported into the UK nearly 20 years ago. As is normal with some GT40s however, there might be two or even three of these cars in the World, so I'll never claim mine's the original, because I think the full story cannot be traced 100% and I need no lawsuits. Other news is, I've been to Alan Mann's old engine builder this week and secured a 1965 GT40 motor. He's looking into the paperwork and should be able to tell me which GT40, where & when it blew its heads and whether my heads off 1079 will fit with either the flat or domed pistons. Other parts on my list from him are an original twin point distributor, GT40 sump, turkey pan and 289-ZF0 belhousing. He's also got what he say's are "other chassis parts" for me, but I think he means headlights and other fitments. The guy is lovely, and has been in the business a long time.

Another old favourite of ours- Frank Catt of Wealdon Engineering has just providedd an old coolant header tank via this thread. Sorry, if this should be in the build thread part of the forum, but as I'm having the car professionally reconstructed, I think it's more appropriate here. All the parts on my car will be as near period as possible as a small example- I have a new/old stock of Ford hipo plug leads date coded 1973. Those were bought a couple of months ago, now I've found a set of original orange leads dated 1966 as fitted to GT40s, so they're now in the collection awaiting fitments to practically everything else. This is amazing... my engine guy is to provide all the original period engine bolts, as he said ones were this shape, that size or this length, and either silver or black.. and all are from mid 1960s as he was a "horder". So you could say now, every part of the car is original down to every nut & bolt. That might be an extreme statement, but see where I'm coming from.. Andrew

Thanks, Jim, Jim & Jimmy! Yes, this project has consumed me. I've just received a nice phone call from Mathwall and my heads will fit his original, period, GT40 short block, using the unused domed pistons. Stewart say's the block has never been rebored, but will crack test the components. I'll use my 1965 hipo Mustang engine for track days and the occasional "gentlemen's" racing once it gets it's Historic Technical Passport. I'll keep the original, period, mill for Sunday driving! Indeed, I got the chance to speak with a FIA inspector the other day. A great guy who's more interested in getting these cars racing, than adding value to them. I was able to ask him some indepth questions. Apparently, there's no longer the Heritage Certificate system available via the FIA, as they were in fear of law suits. The HTP lasts only five years now, it's not for life. I think this is a good thing, because a historic racing car can go through a lot of changes in five years, and some of the components could be modified to make these old cars win races, not keep within the ethos of keeping them original. I've also got to say a huge thanks to Frank at Wealdon for donating, for free, that original, period, coolant header tank. Photos of my C6FE (experimental) heads attached hopefully.. Andrew

Attachments

• C6FE 1079 Hds (6).jpg
    C6FE 1079 Hds (6).jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 745
  • C6FE 1079 Hds (3).jpg
    C6FE 1079 Hds (3).jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 775
  • C6FE 1079 Hds (5).jpg
    C6FE 1079 Hds (5).jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 784
  • C6FE 1079 Hds (7).jpg
    C6FE 1079 Hds (7).jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 816
  • C6FE 1079 Hds (8).jpg
    C6FE 1079 Hds (8).jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 667
  • C6FE 1079 Hds.jpg
    C6FE 1079 Hds.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 645
Stop press- latest minor update... got hold of original radiator with oil cooler, and instruments including tach and 60-60A CAV, plus other suspension components. These parts horded by an ex JWA employee, given to him when the factory closed. There's something very, very exciting coming along, but I can't declare what it is until I get it in my hands. was that a clue???... Best wishes... "excited until frothing at the mouth of Surrey".

Andrew, Loving every detail of this thread....keep it coming mate. Its got all the stuff of a great mystery novel with a shed load of intrique.

Keith

Yes Jimmy I agree, but apart from Andrew's obvious infatuation with the '40 and who wouldn't, where's the love interest then?

Love interest hmmmm.. we had a very cute law student in the office for a week, shadowing me around the courtrooms, called Franscesca.. but no photographs.. sorry. Also, without having to reread what I've already written, my latest parts to arrive are a set of period slightly worn 11" solid Girling disc brakes and a set of pads off 1002.. otherwise known as "Felix" as the reg no is (FEL 1C). However, the most exciting acquisition is the steering wheel off 1026, as run in the 1967 Le Mans by JWA, driven by Mike Salmon. It's also slightly worn with damaged stitching, but perfectly servicable. Someone who should know better said "are you going to get it recovered?"... SHOCK, HORROR***!!! Once I'd picked myself up from the floor, I explained the meaning of originality! Thanks to everyone for reading this thread and the great comments so far. Photos to follow in a couple of weeks.. Andrew

P.S. I should also thank Frank Catt from Wealdon Engineering again, for giving me that coollant header tank.. very period and "bloated" through years of high pressurised water forcing its alluminum sides out. love it.. there you go.. "love interest" at last!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Let me get dug out of some other stuff I am submerged in and I will start looking around. There's got to be something I can find....

Hello Andrew, please forgive this rather public intrusion, I've tried to make contact by normal channels, but failed. I've a client who races historic sportscars throughout Europe and has expressed much interest in your restoration. He enquires whether it'll be for sale when completed as he applauds the way you've gone about reconstructing it using "original, period" parts, which seems rather unique. I may be contacted on 07802293498. All the best, Peter Alex.

Hi Andrew

I have been monitoring your thread with much interest. Looks like you have a fascinating project on the go so I wish you all the best.

If it helps then would like to donate a pair of original sprung B pillar door catches to 'the cause'. These are originals off 1029 and I believe are the same as would have been used on 1001 but their condition is admittedly a bit rough so will need repolishing & replating to bring them back to a nice condition. If you can PM me with your address then I will get them removed & posted over to you.

I have access to some other original parts so in case you ever fancy a trip out then we can meet up and have a chat about these. You can send me a list of what you still need for completion then I will see whether we have anything that is surplus from our own resto project. These need to be on a normal sale basis but prices will still be keen.
G

Bonjour Gazza
Sincere thanks for the kind offer - this would be absolutely fantastic to receive and use these. Dont worry about the rough appearance - this all adds to the authenticity of the car!
I will try to send you my home address in a PM but if you can email me direct then that would be much easier for me as I struggle a bit with sending PM's on the forum. [email protected]
Can I just ask whether you're sure these catches are off 1029, as I'm trying to prove the provenance of every individual part.. but I certainly don't wish to "look a gift horse in the mouth".
If you happen to have the actual original door locks to go with these catches then I would be very interested in buying these off you. Plus I will send you the cost of the postage for the catches themselves.
In the meantime can you also tell me how did you come by all the parts that you have. Do you have an original car?.. Andrew

Back