P1001

I understand how period photographs are always of interest, so here's a couple of my bodywork "1001" taken once it had retired from racing in 1970. These were taken by a friend of the then owner, Terry Smith, when they were out on a drive through the Ashdown Forest in SE England. In one photo you can see the end date of the road tax disc "August 1971" and is that a Lambretta or Vespa in the other image? I'm now building up quite a collection of history of this car, including over 100 photographs, some of which you've already seen, race programs where 1001 took part, autographed photos of the drivers and even race reports in period motoring journals such as Motorsport and Autosport etc. Coming soon will be photos of my new babies.. a set of period Girling discs from 1002... Andrew

Attachments

• passing lamberetta.jpg
    passing lamberetta.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 953
  • boy on bike.jpg
    boy on bike.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 898
  • tax disc aug 71.jpg
    tax disc aug 71.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 855
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 862
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 912
Thanks to Gary Marchant, I've now got the correct b-pillar door catches off 1029 and a lovely letter from him proving its provenance. I've heard, from a number of sources, that Gary's father sadly passed away before 1029 could be restored, but that the car is hoped to be completed one day. However, apart from this information, I know nothing else.. other than he resides in France. Again, a HUGE thanks for these most extraordinary period parts... Andrew

Finally, some photographs of the babies.... note the combined oil cooler/water radiator. Always interested to know your thoughts?... Andrew

Attachments

• both dials.jpg
    both dials.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,154
  • amm nos.jpg
    amm nos.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 860
  • pump zf.jpg
    pump zf.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,053
  • rev.jpg
    rev.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 1,032
  • pic group.jpg
    pic group.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 934
Hi Andrew
It was Groovy to see you at your Birthday bash. I think the peroid dress hire shops in your area and about must have been cleaned out of stock. Especially of 1970's gear.
May I make a suggestion for your chassis number when you have finished the car. Just add up all the chassis number of all the original parts that went into making the finished GT40 that should give you a unique chassis number?
Regards Allan

In respect of the door catches, there's traces of silver paint, which I find odd, becausw wasn't 1029 blue or am I getting confused? Just trying to make certain every part has accurate provenance.. Andrew

Andrew, 1029 was opalescent silver, so the traces on your catches are correct. My client is still eager to hear from you about a proposed purchase.

Andrew, Will you refurbish the parts you are collecting, say for instance the rev counter, to look "newer" or will you leave it as is to make the car look more "dated?" Regardless, love what you're doing.

Hi Jimmy, I'm refurbishing nothing, apart from getting internals to work & not leak e.g. the SW pumps. However, I'm not reanodising the pumps, so the fading, oxidisation and surface rust remains. My aim is not to restore the originality of this car, but it will look a bit tired and obviously 45 years old. Indeed, I visited Mathwall Engineering last Tuesday, Stewart is providing my short engine, and he's confirmed it's an original GT40 motor from 1041, the Jean Blaton "Buerlys" GT40. The radiator is from 1045 and has traces of metallic blue overspray on it, that's why I got the colour in my head about the latches, and according to Spain, 1029 was indeed silver. The engine has some significant GT40 mods on it e.g. Cooper rings around the top of the bores to help head gasket sealing, remote oil pump and funny little holes in the water pump cover. I've asked Mathwall not to clean or repaint the block, as it'll destroy the external patina etc. I know the 289 from the Blaton GT40 blew up in 1967, so if I could find the history reporting it was related to the cylinder heads, then would explain the block being good, it never having been rebored. I'm going to locate relevant motoring journals on this point to see if it mentions cylinder head failure. It's this sort of research which is so fascinating.. Andrew

This is an example of the type of historical evidence which excites me and comes up day after day. I find what I'm about to say at the very least uncanny- remember the bodywork on my car is off 1001, take a quick look at Autosport Trophy Silverstone 1967 - Photo Gallery - Racing Sports Cars
and when I tell you that I only stumbled upon this information today, but looking down the results list, there's a guy called Mike Crabtree driving an Elan. Well that same Mike Crabtree was around my house for my party over the weekend in his white/red Elan Sprint, and I showed him the bodywork off 1001, without realising Mike & 1001 had raced against one another some 44 years previously! The more I dig into each major components' histories, the more is unearthed, adding to the rather large history file of my GT40 and keeping me suitably entertained... Andrew

Thanks for the response Andrew and I'm glad to read of the type of "reconditioning" you will be performing. The patina of your car will be top notch and personally I can't wait to see photos of when you start to piece it all together. How uncanny too that Mr. Crabtree was round your house with this fantastic piece of racing info. Pssst....'Tween you and me Andrew.....I bet there's a wealthy guy out there in the world reading this thread who will wait until you've finished and will see your finished project and will make you a "GODFATHER" offer.....one you can not refuse. This car will be truly a one off of spectacular proportions. Photo's please.

Hi Frank, not sure what mention of a Sbarro is doing here, but as you know I'm looking for original parts, not modern facsimiles. My friend, Paul, is interested, but has been suffering from the dreaded flu, he did try to contact you, but I believe you were on your hols. Thanks for the "heads up" on this car, I know they'll be someone out there wanting to buy it, as it looks like another very interestingg project. I'm still waiting for info from you about those original/period parts from that Maryland GT40 we were discussing. I've sent you a PM in any case... Andrew

With regard to Alan's post (above)... I've added up all the chassis numbers from the major parts where I've got evidence of which Gt40 they derived, and the answer's "1034.79", which isn't a million miles from the truth!.. Andrew

Some historical content for you- pictured in the article reproduced from "Motor Racing Feb 67" is a report of the South African Springbok series in which P/1001 took part in. The Bernhard White GT40 driven by Hobbs & Hailwood is pictured in the article, complete with some unique features. Also included is a brief, but still interesting report on the 66 Nassau Speed Week and a tribut to record-setting hero, Donal Campbell who'd died the previous month on Conniston Water in GB. Interesting to note Conniston was in Lancashireback then, now it's in Cumbria. Love all this old stuff. I hope it's readable for you.. Andrew

<hr style="color:#DEEDF2; background-color:#DEEDF2" size="1">
Andrew, 1029 was opalescent silver, so the traces on your catches are correct.

Andrew - reference the quote from Alex above, although the car is/was indeed silver, Opalescent Silver' was not used for P1029 as that was a Jaguar colour, but the car panels are painted with paint code FORD 6409 which is called 'Cloud Silver'. Hope this clarifies.

Andrew - those old articles you posted make really great reading.
Your project is really a remarkable thing & I can see the finished car will be completely unique and genuine. To have so many truly original components and all the history that goes alongside them is something that gives the car a proper soul. This is something that doesn't exist in any replica car sadly.

I think you're probably right and that's why I'm going to so much trouble to find all these old parts. I also feel inanimate objects can sometimes feel as if they've almost got a personality of their own e.g. I used to own two aeroplanes; a 66 Piper cherokee and a 70 Piper Arrow. The Cherokee nicknamed "Sneezy" because of its registration "G-ATOO" had soul.. everyone who flew him said so.. but the Arrow had none and could've been just another flying school hack, even though it was brimming with equipment, looked almost brand new and you felt like a proper airline pilot when raising or lowering
the wheels.. "three greens". I can't explain why. I've owned a number of replica GT40s and always felt they were things of beauty, but lacked "soul". I'm hoping that a car made up of thousands of original/period parts... 1042 period parts to be exact, will have that soul which is so hard to explain. A further example of the effort is that my old "Serck of London" radiator probably needs a thorough pressure check and flush out. As Serck are still around, I contacted them last week, expecting some spotty youth to answer the phone saying"a GT. what mate?". However, the guy was very knowledgable and knew that some of the original GT40 radiators were a combined water radiator/oil cooler type and was very "flushed" to learn I wanted them to check it out, but not restore it in any way. Hope this too makes sense and doesn't offend anyone... Andrew

Hey.. latest original parts bought-

front brake duct hoses
1 girling resevoir
8 webber carb horns
4 lucas tail lights
rear crossmember
front lower shock bolts
track rod ends
rear upper shock collars
lucas washer pump
rear swaybar to chassis mounts
lucas 5 pin tail connectors