Public Reaction

This forum is an incredible resource for GT40 knowledge. Been here a short time and have enjoyed thus far, the post replies, emails and PMs. Great bunch of enthusiasts here. Thank you to all who contribute.

This car in an attention grabber - no doubt about it. I have yet to drive or ride in a GT40 but I did sit in one. Simply unreal. Just seeing it for the first time was mind blowing.

Would be great to hear your stories of how you and your car is received by the public or even the press in everyday life. What have your experiences been like out for a Sunday cruise or when filling up? Do you get swarmed or boxed in while driving by people eager to take photos with their phones? Are you beating people off with a stick to climb in it after parking it?

I read a post years ago where an owner won a car show and didn't even enter.

Do you enjoy the attention? What are your experiences? Curse or blessing?

William - curse or blessing will be defined by the owners personality (although I think very few shrinking violets buy a GT40). I go to shows quite often and always refuse to have my car judged as it is only 4 years old and still in factory condition, just as I paid for it. I cannot see why my car should be judged higher than cars that have had years of love and attention on them, just because it looks stunning. I do however allow virtually anyone to climb in and have their photos taken with it and as you suggest there is always a queue. When out driving there are some well repeated reactions that I like to see.
1. drivers of other classics, no matter what they are, always point to the 40 and give an approving look.
2. Boy racers never rev their engines in an invite to race, they just want to be close to an icon.
3. Most common pedestrian comment (lipread is easy on this one) "Oh Wow"
4. Most asked question at a show "is it real?"

So all in all I love the reaction of the public, never had marque envy, never had a problem with anyone around it - for me definitley a blessing.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I'd agree with Chris

I've lost count of the number of people who have sat in mine - all ages and both sexes. I do recon it is our job to get the youngsters "hooked" and the number of jealous fathers I have seen watching their kid climb into my car. After the kid gets out I'll offer the same to the dad - some decline saying they will never get in or out!

Worst thing I had was a pillock in a Corsa try and take a photo or video of me driving the car using his mobile phone and leaning across the passenger seat to get the camera out the window! He did not realise but he had me on the hard shoulder of the motorway as his car came over across the other lanes.

Also a number of people have cruised up to the rear quarter and sit their on the motorway - just in a big blind spot. Sorted that now - when I wnat to change lane I indicate and give a boot full of accelerator - it will out accelerate anything along side.

But yes most people smile - give thumbs up -ask questions when you are filling up - even bikers!

Ian

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I go to shows quite often and always refuse to have my car judged as it is only 4 years old and still in factory condition, just as I paid for it. I cannot see why my car should be judged higher than cars that have had years of love and attention on them, just because it looks stunning.

Very nice attitude! I wished more of the "off the showroom floor" entrants felt the same way.

William, Like Chris and Ian if feeling like a VIP is your goal then the GT40 is going to help get you there. Maybe it isn't and in that case you might want to look elsewhere because this car DOES attract attention. First time I took mine to a gargage or petrol station it was cell phones out, people asking all sorts of questions and people swarming on it. Truth be told I was a bit taken back but have since gotten more use to it. I too try to let as many as I can sit in it. Especially kids. They are well worth it just to see their faces. However I've never had a girl/woman sit in the car who was wearing anything short for some reason. Hmmmm? Also like the others drivers of other cars will do some very stupid things so be very careful.

Its by far the most attracting car i know. Been on several vintage cars shows here and there seems to be only one car which the spectators are interessted in. I always have a huge crowd of people standing around it.

When driving it through town. You can see people have turned their heads in advance to see what is coming, because they hear it usualy much earlier. Than when driving by, all you see is pointing fingers and dropped jaws.

When driving on the motorway ( autobahn) other drivers pay a lot of respect. Even if trail along at 140 -150 kmh almost no one will overtake me ( not even the always fast turbodiesel station wagon drivers - how do i know ?). They rather stay behind or drive parallel with thumps up.

How is it to drive in in every day traffic. As long as you don´t have to look to your extreme left (on a RHD car) or back up into something you are fine. Just don´t try to hoop to quick into a gap of rolling traffic, you may underestimate the torque of your engine and the "quickspin" characteristics of your GT ( again how do i know).

Other than that, as long you have mild climate, a well isolated rear firewall and a good fresh air supply ( preffered by original NACA ducst because they are pressurised during driving) there is not realy the need for AC. But if you have a lot of sunshine AC is a strong reco.

If i would perceive the attention as curse, i would drive another car, because there is now way of fleeing from it ( besides having the car parked in the garage al the time, but than never open the door).

TOM

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
My wife hates my MkII. She loves my Pantera.
Oh well...

Yes, they do get the attention. My son was following me on the freeway a few months ago and once we got to our destination, he said, 'Dad! You're a one man accident creator!'

I asked why and he said that everyone on the freeway is dodging around, pulling out cameras and cell phones, trying to get a better view, slowing down, speeding up... He said there's this small bit of chaos around me as I drive down the highway.

Lots of comments at gas stations and when I take it in for inspection. People stop to look even when they had no intention of stopping, but they see car and have to get a closer look.

And I really despise the question, 'Is it a kit car?' because I don't feel it is, but that subject has been beat to death elsewhere here.
:laugh:

FWIW,
Kirby

William, Like Chris and Ian if feeling like a VIP is your goal then the GT40 is going to help get you there. Maybe it isn't and in that case you might want to look elsewhere because this car DOES attract attention. First time I took mine to a gargage or petrol station it was cell phones out, people asking all sorts of questions and people swarming on it. Truth be told I was a bit taken back but have since gotten more use to it. I too try to let as many as I can sit in it. Especially kids. They are well worth it just to see their faces. However I've never had a girl/woman sit in the car who was wearing anything short for some reason. Hmmmm? Also like the others drivers of other cars will do some very stupid things so be very careful.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jimmy,

I'm with you.

When I was around 12 years old, a man down the street from us got a Ferrari 250 California Spyder, I would ride my bike down there, hopeing that his garage door was open so I could see it.

One day he was in the garage working on it, when he saw me, he waved me over, told me all about Ferraris and let me sit in it!

That changed by life!

I went from wanting a jeep to a sports car guy.

I think of him often when kids look at my car, I always just open the door and tell them to jump in.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Not so satisfying, but still funny --

My blue MK II roller was delivered by a semi, and on the level above mine at the rear was a blue '05 Ford GT. The driver and I rolled mine out of the truck and parked it in my driveway across the street. We were closing up the truck when a local plumber pulled up, stopped, blocking the street and ogled the Ford GT's rear end.

GT small.jpg

PICT1221 small.jpg

While he was doing so my driver said "Hey, did you notice what's in the driiveway over there?". The plumber looked over and said, "oh, well, what's that?" "It's a real GT40!".

"Oh, I thought that was a Pantera."

Last edited:
Somewhere in America there are a couple of people who toured Tasmania a few years ago. They are under the mistaken impression that the LeMans winning GT40 resides here... Because I didn't explain clearly... Ah well. :)

Overall very positive and quite fun. Kids love it, adults love it, police love it. I have a fun number plate, occasionally someone who knows the history of the car gets it and that usually leads to coffee and a fun conversation.

It is a hard car to be introverted in. :)

My favorite reactions are those of my kids, they love it and are proud I have it. Next favorite is mine. I still think it is as stunning as I thought it was when I was a kid. Makes me feel good to look at it. What more can I ask?

Tim.

Ditto the comments on cell phone drivers swarming around you trying to get a photo. Have had a couple of rice burners pull along side and rev their engines. Pesky like mosquitos! Many people know the new Ford GT, but have no idea we have the originals (or replicas at least). Guess if you weren't even born before 1966 you have no idea about Le Mans history.

At a recent event I had queues of kids wanting to sit in the car, I was glad to oblige. :)
I still remember being lifted into an open wheeler Lotus as a kid. Felt like my hero Jimmy Clark. :).

The only negative reaction I remember was at a hot rod event. Didn't fit in. Don't want to now.

Tim.

Last edited:
That is great.

Any recognition from Lamborghini or Ferrari drivers?

Have any of you parked beside a Lambo or Ferrari and notice your GT40 received more attention?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
And I really despise the question, 'Is it a kit car?' ....

Kirby --

Saw a Cobra the other day with plate "YES IT IS". (Not sure which question that's the answer to....)

Somebody already has the California plate "ITS REAL" "NOTAKIT" etc.

Last edited:
That is great.

Have any of you parked beside a Lambo or Ferrari and notice your GT40 received more attention?

One of the reasons I got the plate I did was to park it next to my friends Ferrari. ENZOHU. :)

A lot of people assume it's a Ferrari anyway which is upsetting. It gets a lot of attention wherever it is, more or less than other cars I really haven't taken notice of.
I can tell you that pretty much everyone who doesn't know what it is thinks it's modern. I think it makes a lot of newer cars look dated.

Tim.

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
That is great.

Yes coming back from Le Mans classic 2008 I got loaded on the Ferry and a Ferrari was loaded next to me a few mins later.

Ferrari driver wanted to stand and chat for ages until we were chaser out the hold by security. His wife or girlfriend was not happy!

Ian

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Not so satisfying, but still funny --

My blue MK II roller was delivered by a semi, and on the level above mine at the rear was a blue '05 Ford GT. The driver and I rolled mine out of the truck and parked it in my driveway across the street. We were closing up the truck when a local plumber pulled up, stopped, blocking the street and ogled the Ford GT's rear end.

View attachment 54613

View attachment 54614

While he was doing so my driver said "Hey, did you notice what's in the driiveway over there?". The plumber looked over and said, "oh, well, what's that?" "It's a real GT40!".

"Oh, I thought that was a Pantera."
Alan, love the CF diffuser on the GT! Are you on the FordGTForum? Who's piece of art is that?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Alan, love the CF diffuser on the GT! Are you on the FordGTForum? Who's piece of art is that?

No, I haven't done anything with GTs. At the time I figured out who the owner is, but now I've forgotten. In case you didn't notice from the license plate, it's a GTX1 (roadster).

When I was around 12 years old, a man down the street from us got a Ferrari 250 California Spyder, I would ride my bike down there, hopeing that his garage door was open so I could see it.

One day he was in the garage working on it, when he saw me, he waved me over, told me all about Ferraris and let me sit in it!

That changed by life!

I went from wanting a jeep to a sports car guy.

I think of him often when kids look at my car, I always just open the door and tell them to jump in.

Great story Jim,

I remember when i was very young, always peeking through the fence of my neighbours place. He and his brother were building a car in the back shed. I am not a hundred percent sure but i believe it was a Bolwell. One day coming home from school, they had it out on the driveway and noticed me oogling. He offered to take me for a spin to get a fill up, that day ended up being one of my favourite memories.

Since then, i have become a car nut and along the way learnt about beautiful historic cars, but it wasnt until recent times i actually got a ride in one, and that memory rates right up there with the one from my youth.

I have been fortunate enough to own some nice automibiles in my time, one including a F430, however that short spin in the 40 still resides highly in my fond memories.

Back