Venting fuel tank by fuel pump?

I ended up re-doing my setup for the 4th time, lol (I previously had the pump above the tank and vertical - Weldon assured me it was okay like that w/ minimal impact on flow, but I decided to optimize it for the amount of power I'm going to try to make, as a just-in-case).

So I put him horizontal and as low as possible.

Here's my question - notice the red arrow in my picture. That is going to my vent hose from the fuel tank (nb: no roll over valve or air valve, just a straight vent hose). Am I okay w/ fumes venting that close to the fuel pump? It's in an open area by the side scoop so constant air flow, but I wanted to check.....

fuelnew1.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Should not be a problem...

But ever since a mud-wasp crawled up inside a vent line like that on one of our race cars, and darned near collapsed the fuel cell - I've been installing an inline fuel filter (cheap plastic one) in the line to act as a trap and air filter for the vent..

Follow the hose right and upwards - there's a 40micron aeromotive filter inline there (40micron since I had one left over, lol, so it got used).

I meant no roll-over valve or one of those that remains closed but vents at certain amounts of pressure. Just a -8 vent to the 40micron filter to the ground

Ken Roberts

Supporter
What will happen if you flip upside down or on your side in a accident? Without a rollover valve the fuel could easily escape.

Back