GT40 P/1061 detail photos

Hi guys,

At the Coronado vintage races this weekend, I got the opportunity to take some shots of P/1061, owned by Jim Click of Tuscon, AZ. Originally built as a road car, it was converted to full Gulf race spec (including the different door latch mechanisms) sometime in the 1980s.

I found the oil and gearbox cooler setups interesting; a pair of scoops under the car draws air through the coolers, which is then exhaled out the rear of the car.

Unfortunately I forgot to bring my camera (DOH!) and instead was forced to rely on a so-so cell phone camera.

Each of the photos below can be enlarged by clicking on the tan bar above it, which will open it in a new window. Click on that photo and it will enlarge yet again.

And now, in no particular order, the photos...Enjoy! Comments welcome! :thumbsup:

SSPX0737.jpg

SSPX0736.jpg

SSPX0735.jpg

SSPX0734.jpg

SSPX0733.jpg

SSPX0732.jpg

SSPX0731.jpg

SSPX0730.jpg

SSPX0729.jpg

SSPX0728.jpg

SSPX0727.jpg

SSPX0726.jpg

SSPX0725.jpg

SSPX0723.jpg

SSPX0722.jpg

SSPX0721.jpg

SSPX0720.jpg

Thanks for posting these, Mike and they're pretty good for a cell phone! I've got a couple of questions: that looks like a 289/ZF in the back, but those tires and flares look to me more like the J-Car's. Is that just a memory lapse on my part? Second, it appears like that's a heat shield between the exhaust and the transaxle. Is/was the shield a common thing and I just never noticed one before?
John (who can't find his book to look up the answers)

Thanks for posting these, Mike and they're pretty good for a cell phone! I've got a couple of questions: that looks like a 289/ZF in the back, but those tires and flares look to me more like the J-Car's. Is that just a memory lapse on my part?

Yes. The car is in totally standard "Gulf" configuration, the latest iteration with the widest flares. Same as P/1033, which was also a road car converted to that spec later in life:

1966 Used Ford GT-40 Red at Canepa Design

Second, it appears like that's a heat shield between the exhaust and the transaxle. Is/was the shield a common thing and I just never noticed one before?

I believe the shields (there are two of them, one for each pipe) are unique to this particular car.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Mike,
It's interesting that the traditional front upper ball housings have been removed and the car is fitted with rod ends and studs. The same arrangement that SPF are now using.

Personally I'm not keen on that steering wheel and the gear knob.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for taking the time and effort to snap and post these pictures and accompanying information Mike...

I find the oil cooler scoops interesting as well.. There appear to be a number of updates to this car.

I believe this is a car that was owned by an Aussie who had moved to Arizona and was in some way connected with an ex-John Wyer employee who had access to all the latest specs planned for the GT40 if it had continued in the Wyer racing stable. Supposedly these improvments were incorporated into the tweeking of this GT40. If true this would make this one of the finest GT40's out there!

If true this would make this one of the finest GT40's out there!

It certainly is! This is the car that won the race at the 1989 GT40 reunion at Watkins Glen. The current owner is a very well-known vintage racer, who also runs a 289 Cobra (he has two of them, both competition cars) and a Boss 302 Trans Am Mustang. He runs the hell out of all of them. :thumbsup:

To revive a very old thread...

"The Aussie Dude" was Bib Stillwell - He was a rich Australian, and was president of Lear Jet.

He contracted with John Horsman to be his Chief Engineer on 1061 GT-40.

Apparently, they raced it in Vintage Racing.

Described in JH's book "Racing in the Rain", pages 399-402.

The current owner is Jim Click, a Tucson Ford dealer. Here's a picture of the car in Jim's showroom...

Chuck

Attachments

• Jim_Click (1) (Large).jpg
    Jim_Click (1) (Large).jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 1,569
Last edited:
You guys are all pretty smart fellers, and probably already know this, but the Jim Click car collection was showcased today (13 march 2016) in Tucson at "Fords on 4th".

The word on the street is that all these cars are going to the Monterrey Historics in August.

Jim Click is getting out of historic racing, and all these cars (and maybe more) are going on the block. If anyone has ~2.5M burning a hole in their pocket....

Chuck

Attachments

• IMG_5246 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5246 (Medium).JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 1,047
  • IMG_5245 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5245 (Medium).JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 1,110
  • IMG_5244 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5244 (Medium).JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,204
  • IMG_5247 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5247 (Medium).JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 1,121
  • IMG_5248 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5248 (Medium).JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,033
  • IMG_5254 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5254 (Medium).JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 996
There's a Google Chrome patch that can be applied that keeps them visible.
You can't download them using it though!

Hi everyone, My name is Chad and I recently purchased 1061. I am going to do a complete concours restoration on it and return it back to street specs. If anyone knows of any of it original parts floating around out there I would love to know about it. Also if anyone has any original GT40 parts they want sell I would interested. Thanks
Chad

Back