Twat nav install

Going to install a cigar socket in the car somewhere, not so I can have a quick ciggy at high speed but for a Sat Nav.
For hundreds of years I used maps but since my last few cars have Sat Navs I'm almost reliant on them.
I think you can buy IVA approved sockets.
Has anyone fitted one and where did you stick it.
" excuse the pun "

I've fitted one, together with a clock on the left hand lower portion of the dash.

I'll take a photo next time I'm up at the car.

I found that I really missed as clock when I drove the car last year.

It's quite unobtrusive, but easily seen from the drivers seat.

Geoff.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
My battery is behind the drivers seat.

I then fitted a socket on the rear bulkhead just above the sill. Just along side the seat.

When using the sat nav I use an extension cable run to the fromt of my seat and plug the satnav in there.

I have also found that with the angle of the screen the satnav screen gets difficult to see. I mount the satnav in the top right corner of the screen. Out of normal vision but in shadow to see the screen

Ian

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Going to install a cigar socket in the car somewhere, not so I can have a quick ciggy at high speed but for a Sat Nav.

This is easy for me to say being an electrical type, but another solution would be to cut the (male) cigarette lighter adapter off the end of the satnam cable and substitute some nice small two-pin connector, or to simply hardwire that cable into the car's wiring harness. I woul dthink the only real defense for using a cigar socket is that it can be used for other things than the Sat Nav (cell phone charger, etc.). Aside from that they are just a big, ugly and unreliable way to make an electrical connection. Sorry, pet peeve of mine. OK, I'll get off my soap box. :lipsrsealed:

Actually these days USB is becoming a little bit of a de-facto standard for powering things (Like the last couple Garmin SatNav's I've bought), so you could hard wire a 12V-USB converter into the car, and use USB cables for everything else. Just a thought.

Have you guys thought of using your smart phones? The nav companys are eventually going out of business because the phones are so good. With mine you have the option of paying for the service(NAV) or using Google. The Google gives you turn by turn directions just like Garvin and the others. You don't have to plug it in unsless your battery is low, then you will need a plug. The screen generally stays lit if you just have to see the map but the voice is very clear and easily heard. each address is kept in memory so it can be recalled. I haven't picked my TOM TOM up since getting my phone.
On a safety issue. We had a lot of break ins, in our neighborhood, mostly juveniles looking for whatever they could find. You would be surprised at how many people leave their laptops, cell phones cameras etc. in their cars overnight just because they don't want to carry them inside. If you have a GPS device in your car and you leave it attached to the windscreen, it is an open invitation to theives wjile at work or vacation. The worst part is that almost everybody has a saved address that will get them home from wherever they are, be it vacation or a road trip. This gives the thief your address and a road map to your home. VERY bad idea.
Suggestion:
If you have this setup, I would suggest as I did to my neighbors, to change the address to your home to some place near your home such as a landmark or even just your town, This way they won't have your address.
While I am on this theme. How many of you guys have the safety rope on your garage door that you pull when the power goes off so you can lift your door and get the car out. The little red one on most doors. this is another invitation for the thieves. They can slide a piece of 2x4 or similar between the upper section of the garage door and the frame. Then they usea piece of wire with a hook on the end to slip through and catch the rope. One tug and they are in your garage without making a sound.
Suggestion:
1. Add a motion dectector in your garage if you want to keep the rope for your wife while you are away or at work.
2. Remove the rope and make your own piece of wire(or metal rod) to slip into the release lever, and let all in the family know where it is kept in the garage.

Bill

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
The nav companys are eventually going out of business because the phones are so good. l

Don't sell your Garmin stock just yet: smart phone navigation requires a cell signal. The one place where you absolutely need navigation help is out in the boondocks where there is no cell signal. Look at a cell phone coverage map and think about driving through any of those "white" areas. Some are pretty scenic.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController

Furthermore, even using Verizon which has the widest cell coverage there are areas of San Diego county that are quite civilized, have roads complex enough to get lost, shown as covered, and no signal; one example is the hills between east Carlsbad and San Marcos. Not only do you not know where you are, but you can't call anyone for help either. Not a good feeling.

Last edited:

Malcolm

Supporter
Keith
I hve two ciggie lighters in my car. One outlet is behind the dash on the pasenger side and one between the seats. These do get used for sat navs but also for power to video gear for when running on board cameras. They are just simply fixed but not through anything visible so both out of sight.

Photo of the 12v outlet. The text will be blacked out .

Sorry for the delay - Car still in bits!

Geoff.

Attachments

• KVA CLOCK + RHS ENGINE BAY 001.JPG
    KVA CLOCK + RHS ENGINE BAY 001.JPG
    669.3 KB · Views: 393
Hi Geoff, I have got the same one now from Car Builder Solutions.
It's IVA friendly also.
Cheers

Back