What wing mirrors ?

I had considered the indicators in the mirrors, while nothing near 'original' it could certainly help with IVA.

3 more options.
1) audi tt
2) ford kuga
3) vauxhaul corsa (latest one)

I've got to stop looking at the mirrors of every car I see!

Same issue as with the (new) mini then. Have to be massive to look in proportion on the original vehicle and appear small, look silly and huge on a GT40!

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
How odd that they picture that MK1 with wing mirrors on then...

Yeah, although strictly speaking they don't come with engines or transaxles either, but they show that as well. OTOH, if it were Lexus or Buick there'd be an asterisk and a footnote saying "some equipment illustrated is optional" or something to that effect.

And now that I look at the site I see what I think are two different mirrors on the MK I vs. the Mk II. I suppose a call to Superformance could get the ID of those mirrors. Or maybe Rick Muck knows or could find out.

It's remarkable to me what a difficult decision this is: to me only the Talbot-style bullet (Mk I) or Vitaloni Sebring mirrors (Mk II) "look right" (historically) but their glass shape and size is so wrong from a practical standpoint. So my solution is to use cheap black plastic rectangular ones and then mount them in such a way as to have as little visual impact as possible (i.e. nestled in the crook of the front angle of the window). This also allows me not to have to drill holes in my precious bodywork.

Bill Musarra did this incredibly clever thing of mounting a camera inside the mirror housing itself and then having that feed a display inside the car, thus having (I think) the best of both worlds with some additional benefits (he can put the display wherever he wants for low head-motion).

Last edited:
I know what you mean, the original style mirrors 'look' right but as something that is going to be driven in the modern world (and have to pass IVA) its effective every time for me.

87 RX-7 mirrors are another suggestion.
attachment.php

Or for those in the states mid 70's Camaro
CIMG2406.jpg

I think the BMW 'Mini' ones are too big myself
attachment.php

I also noted another option in the Honda Jazz today.

I have been chatting with a guy who gets cars including 40's through the IVA.
Test inspectors all have slightly different interpretations of the regs.
For example SGT I believe leave the side windows out as there not E marked but have a mirror setup that basically bolts on and then off.
The guy I'm talking with has an E marked and approved set of side perspex windows with the correct wing mirror that both pass IVA.
He also leaves the rear glass window out of the rear deck provided the carbs / inj. dont stick out to far, SGT bond in the glass for IVA.
I will ask him what mirrors he uses and post this.

Since Alan brought it up I thought I would show how I got those cameras into the mirrors. First a little insite. I started this little quest because I wrecked a Lotus Turbo Esprit years ago because I had poor visibiity with the side mirrors trying to change lanes. Spent too much time looking in the mirror and not on the road in front of me. Two problems here and I would like to think I solved both......at least for me.

First the problem. The side mirrors offer limited visibility to the rear and the side of the car. One because of their size and second because the fenders stick up in the field of view. If you have the "Gulf Option", then your fenders are that much higher hiding even more of the view. One option is to use the wide angle mirrors. Better view, but not able to judge where the objects are in space."Warning objects are closer than they apear".

I started out quite some time ago to try and remedy the above problems by getting the RX-7 mirrors. I chose them because they were electric and I thought I would be able to adjust them to get a better view. After mounting, they wouldn't increase the view that much. What they did, was give me a platform to mount the cameras on.
My first iteration came up with this.
P4190190-2.jpg

P4190191-1.jpg

As you can see this leaves a big "window" in the mirror, and I was having trouble mounting the camera housing inside the mirror. The housing was done away with and the frame altered to allow th camera to get further out in the mirror. A hole was put in the lexan to get the camera lens as close to the mirror as possible and a new mounting was fabricated from some plastic mounting pieces that came with the camera.
P1010101.jpg

P1010100.jpg

The window for the camera was scratched out with a flat bladed exacto knife. The final position of the mirror was established and the lexan and mount were secured with a 2 part epoxy.The holes for the camera were drilled out and then all was mounted together.

P1010109-1.jpg

Some of the mounting sufaces were altered so I could get the mirror flat in its stance.

My next problem was how to judge distances. This helped me find where to mount the mirrors. To my luck it was near the windows and not on the fenders or door. I din't want to mount the mirrors on the bodywork at all. By reversing the bottom mount (swappping the bases left to right)it allowed the mirrors to be mounted on the windows themselves. The problem of what to do when the windows are off was solved by making a lexan piece to mount the mirrors on in the corner of the window.
P1010042.jpg

P1010095-2.jpg

You can see the footprint of the new location for the camera is tiny by the first iteration. Back to my judging distances. This was handled as I did my truck mirrors. I have them set up so that as an overtaking car leaves my central mirror it immediately come into the side mirror. As it moves up the side of the truck and leaves the side mirror, it is up to my side window.

To get the rough placement for the mirrors, sit in the drivers seat(left) and put your head onto your left shoulder. Adjust your drivers mirror to the back edge of the car. Put your head on your right shoulder and adjust the passenger mirror to the rear edge of the car. As you drive along test the position of the mirror and adjust til it gets the above results.
My cameras act just that way as well. The field of view of all the cameras is 120º. The center camera is mounted on the back of the spyder just in front of the rear clip. I chose this location as I wanted the camera high enough to see the cars behind and beside the car. I may add a license plate camera for backing up. That would make the fourth camera.
P1010074-1.jpg

I plan to enclose the center camera in an inverted Nasa duct.

The monitor I chose was one that would show one two or four images at a time.

P1010059-2.jpg

I will probably mount the screen in a console between the dash and the central tunnel. It could be mounted on the roll cage, and I'll try it out to see if it is feasable.

P1010057-2.jpg

Pathfinder Motorsports

Sponsoring Vendor
Back when we built P/2192 our decision was to go with twin Vitaloni mirrors.

As previously posted, they're made of high impact plastic and arrive in flat black. Due to their size and location, both were ordered with convex lenses, which has proven ideal for both street and race. On that car, we also elected to color match them to the body color with the intent of minimizing attention drawn to them.

RtFenderGrndPana.jpg

Since that time Pathfinder Motorsports has tried half a dozen other styles and types of mirrors and found ourselves going full circle back to using the Vitalonis. Many of the 1960's race teams mounted their mirrors forward on the fenders so they wouldn't interfere with the gas filler caps during fast pit lane refueling. We have found that mounting them close to the windshield decreases the blind spot and doesn't interfere with the clean lines of the hood. No problems with refueling, by the way.

In the case of P/2094R, we tried tried a strong contrasting color to match the race steward 'dots' and the windshield sunshade.

IMG_4617.jpg

IMG_4623.jpg

We think the Vitaloni mirrors offer good visibility, are both reasonably priced and fairly aerodynamic, can be easily installed, and importantly, look great!

They certainly look the part but are there any Vitaloni (or clones) available with electric adjustment?

For IVA the mirrors need to be adjustable while sat in the car. If they're in the corner of the window or mounted on the door you could fairly easily adjust them. I can't see you being able to adjust those easily. Even if you left the side glass out they look quite a stretch, it might be pushing it to have a set of mirrors you could adjust from internally only if you undid the belts and leant right out of the window! :)

Ideally a combination of say something like an M3 mirror (available with electric everything, looks about the same size glass) and the Vitaloni would be perfect from a looks and functionality POV but there is also a requirement for rear visibility, I'm not sure if mirrors mounted on the wings would show enough round the rear arches.

Should at least get round the requirement to fold back as it wouldn't protrude.

How does the Vitaloni adjust? Is it the entire mirror adjusts or just the glass? I'm tempted to see if it would be possible to fit electric inners.

The Vitoalonis in the position would not be able to see all the relevant markers in the IVA test. Tha is why they get mounted by SGT and others so high up the body (to get over the rear arch)

Back