View Single Post
Old 10th January 2012, 10:02 AM  
ckouba
10 tenths
United States

GT40: RCR40-31
Re: The delights of owning an English sports car.

I had the pleasure of owning a 1 liter 1980 Mini while living near Toulouse for a while. I loved it.

It's exactly as stated earlier- it was always up for trying whatever you were up for trying. The motor wasn't much to speak of but it got its 660kg's going well enough and always made it back under its own power. My only issue was the master cylinder going on strike (it was in France) while heading down a large hill in the Pyrenees. That was an interesting drive home.

But it did haul my butt anywhere I pointed it, as well as whomever was with me. Three of us with three sets of skis and three overnight backpacks drove it up into the mountains for a backcountry ski/camping trip in the middle of January- packs sticking out the trunk, skis and poles lodged across the cabin, it looked ridiculous enough that even the road crews stopped what they were doing and stared at us as we drove by.

Miss that car, and casually keep my eyes out for one here in the states. I think it'd be a great stablemate for the 40.
RCR40 #31
ckouba is offline   Reply With Quote