Procomp aka Sydney speed aka AT racing world

Gents,

I've recently purchased a Procomp 6AL ignition system with the matching Procomp coil. I thought they were awesome products as they are less than half the price of what Mallory or MSD charge for their components typically. Unfortunately, both failed within just 2 months. The coil blew first after about 1 month (that is driving every day to work about 15 km each way) and I replaced it with a standard coil. Then, after another month the ignition module burned through. I'm really surprised about this as I don't understand why such simple electronic components could just fail for no obvious reason. I've then bought the same system from Mallory (HyFire 6) and it's been running ever since.

Has anyone had similar experiences with their products or did I just have bad luck?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS: I found this in an ebay-post a few months back:

355 stroker, Holden, Torana 308, 5Litre,drag,hotrod, LX
Procomp Products

I have for sale some very low km's 355 stroker parts, less than 2000 ks. These parts have been replaced over several removal and tear downs of my motor.

Brought as a PROCOMP 355 stroker kit and head, manifold, cam kit from Sydney Speed supplies AKA at racing world.

First up is a wonderfull set of valve springs that went soft within 400 ks, next is a set of 7/16 screw in studs 1 is sheared off 2 are bent other than that they are in perfect condition.

I also have a set of big end and main bearings that I never used as the brand new crank needed grinding, It had a 1thou taper and was also barrelled from over polishing, This kit was ordered balanced for the cost of $250 extra and was so out of balance it shook the car severly at 2800 rpm, I thought the needles on my dash were going to shake off.

Up next is a set of pistons and rings, these items have about 1200 ks on them, the rings failed to seat and created a nice smoke haze behind me, they would suit a buyer looking for a unique look to there car SMOKE. 1 piston has a small crack, nothing to worry about as it is barely visible, the teflon coating (or as I call it paint) is worn off, this happened in 2 hours while running in the cam and tunning. These pistons have had 27 thou taken off them as they stuck out of a non decked block that far, they have also had the gudgeon holes honed to alinge them as the pin was very tight in these full floating pistons.

Next is a cam shaft, I was sold it as a solid but its either ground wrong or a hydraulic it is very noisy at the 22 thou clearence as on the cam card, A copy of a camtech cam with a camtech box and cam card. On talking to camtech they DONOT and will not have any thing to do with procomp. This badly made cam also damaged my valves where the collets seat so I also have these up for sale sizes are 2.02 inlet 1.6 exhaust.

OK this was the final straw that made me write this, I was putting the head back together after getting them back from the machine shop, seats cut and new valves, I put the valve stem seals on and realised I had to put the spring seat washers on before them. so i had to remove the seals. I PULLED UP ON THE SEAL TO REMOVE IT AND PULLED THE TOP CEAN OFF THE VALVE GUIDE NOT ONCE BUT TWICE. Im not quite sure whats going on there, either I have super human strenght or these items are super weak, Ill let you be the judge. So I am also selling these there seems to be at least 10 good ones.

I was wondering if anyone in this Forum has made similar experiences? Or is it just bad luck?

Last edited:

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
USING ANYTHING FROM PROCOMP, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.
Most of the performance tuners around here -- even sniff any thing anything to with procomp on your vehicle, will tell you impolitely to piss off and DCB until all traces of peanuts have been thoroughly removed.
Failures are prevalent !

I do my shopping at Performance Wholesale (Brisbane) -- they know what you want and you pays the price and no probs.

Those bits you have for sale -- good luck with that -- as they're probably only good for throwing at the dog.:heart:

Last edited:
(that second half of the above post was taken from an ebay auction, it went for about 45 dollars as far as I remember)

I just bought the coil and the ignition box and they both failed. I wanted to send them back but they have never answered any of my emails so I just threw the stuff away.

People seem to know about the Pro Comp / Sydney Speed Shop parts quality issue, I've googled it a few times, but they are still in business. That does surprise me!

Where are they making their components? Sydney? These products certainly do not do justice to Australian workmanship

Thanks Chris for your opinion. I've talked to a couple of people by now and they all say the same, i.e. stay away from Pro Comp. Cheers and thanks for your answer!

Back